• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2015 (First Half)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press has the majority of the top ten in print or coming soon, that is something. Only really missing SNAFU and Saekano. Will be interesting to see if they do pick them up, unfortunately SNAFU is probably unlikely, doesn't seem to get much popularity outside Japan. Saekano seems more likely. I don't see any chance for Haikyu!! or any Naruto novels.

Odd seeing Log Horizon so far down. I seem to recall it being much higher in past years? Popularity dying off for it? Although I guess it also comes down to how slowly the series releases after its initial rush in 2011.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Good for SNAFU. It really needs to head over to the States.

Hooray! DanMachi is doing well! Season 2 soon please!

Looks like Shinmai Maou, Absolute Duo, and World Break are selling fairly well after their respective anime aired. I only wish Amagi, DRRR, and The Devil Is A Part Timer would sell better though.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Log Horizon, yeah, I believe sales are low-ish mostly because only a single new novel has come out between November 17, 2014 and May 17, 2015, and really, most people who wanted the previous volumes already have them. Same thing applies to Durarara.

But in any case, pretty happy to see SNAFU and DanMachi doing so well. The anime adaptations must be really giving them a boost, I see.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Thrilled that SNAFU is doing so well. It gives me a touch more hope in Japanese Otaku when both the anime and novel series of something I love is getting proper attention.
If someone decides to bring those novels over I would definitely consider getting them as my first Light Novel series purchase.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Did High School Dxd not have a release yet in 2015? Its not even on the list.
synaia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Did High School Dxd not have a release yet in 2015? Its not even on the list.

That's correct, last volume released was in november last year.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Index in 13th place? I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't know that only 1 volume was released this year. Durarara!! on the other hand ... Sad

Jump must happy though considering that 3 of their series made it into the top 30.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Well, Japanese teenagers sure read a lot considering total sales of the top 50 would be like 10-15 million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niyari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Yen Press has the majority of the top ten in print or coming soon, that is something. Only really missing SNAFU and Saekano. Will be interesting to see if they do pick them up, unfortunately SNAFU is probably unlikely, doesn't seem to get much popularity outside Japan. Saekano seems more likely. I don't see any chance for Haikyu!! or any Naruto novels.

i believe i read a tweet that said they plan on announcing another license (likely a LN) at the beginning of July. i have a feeling it's going to be Oregairu. the timing is perfect since the announcement would be right around the time the anime ends.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Danmachi domination. Oh Index.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Mahouka still going strong! Season 2 when?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Just bought Kagerou Daze on iBooks this weekend; seems like for light novels I'd be as well or better served by ebooks than paper.
Nayre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:

Odd seeing Log Horizon so far down. I seem to recall it being much higher in past years? Popularity dying off for it? Although I guess it also comes down to how slowly the series releases after its initial rush in 2011.

I'm totally not sure whether it would be good idea the possibility that yen press would serialize Oregairu. For the publishers, author, staffs and some readers involved in the production of the light novel, it would totally benefit them since it is way to expand their readers to the western community who prefer hard cover version. But at the same time, I personally would be disappointed if it would happen. I'm reader of the light novel, oregairu, and I read thru fan translation website. If yen press serialize the novel, the translation team would stop and I as reader, would not be totally happy about that. Yen press is totally slow in translating and has reputation to cut or to change some content. Worst, I wont be up to date of the current events of the light novel since the Japanese version would be long over by the time they would release it. I know i'm not the only who feel this way, sao, ngnl,hataraku and mahouka readers would understand.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
I think that when you have official translations of light novels in the USA, the digital outlet can help because you potentially get more light novels translated before a shell deadline. Also, there's the advantage of saving on printing costs.
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Nayre wrote:
Yen press is totally slow in translating and has reputation to cut or to change some content.

Really? What have they cut/changed?
The releases by series may be a bit slow considering they are so behind on Japanese releases, but Yen On releases like 3 volumes every month. That's not bad at all, especially if you're interested in many series.

Nayre wrote:
I know i'm not the only who feel this way, sao, ngnl,hataraku and mahouka readers would understand.

Did Hataraku Maou-sama even had any translations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2