• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Producer Yoshiaki Nishimura Works at New Studio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
I guess the party is moving elsewhere after all. I am kind of sad, but hope for new, exciting things to come.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
There's already an ad for trains... Rail Wars!
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Ghibli was a machine designed by Miyazaki to work on his own films and to realize his own vision. Occasionally Takahata got the chance to set up shop for his own projects too, but not that often.

For many years they tried to make workarounds to counter this fact - first by bringing in Mamoru Hosoda, then by trying to homegrow new directors themselves. Nothing really worked that well, and people really weren't that interested.

Since the reason for Ghibli to exist is now retired, there's really no need for it to keep existing in the same form anymore. The talented animators there can finally leave and work somewhere else on more creative and varied projects.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:

Since the reason for Ghibli to exist is now retired, there's really no need for it to keep existing in the same form anymore. The talented animators there can finally leave and work somewhere else on more creative and varied projects.

What BS. I wonder what is your take on more "creative" and "caried" projects...wait DO NOT TELL ME.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
ptj_tsubasa wrote:

What BS. I wonder what is your take on more "creative" and "caried" projects...wait DO NOT TELL ME.

It's not bullshit, ptj_tsubasa is correct in that Studio Ghibli was a studio made for the benefit of Miyazaki senior. It was his way or the highway type of studio. That's why some very talented animators left the studio when Miyazaki was still in charge. Nowadays that Miyazaki senior is retired as hard as it is for his fans, the Studio Ghibli is just an empty name. A brand if you will. The important thing is that talented animators can flourish. It doesn't have to be in the Ghibli studio system. So I am not dismayed by this news. Hosoda and others continue to be talented even without the "magic" studio Ghibli behind. And they're more artistically free. So it's a win win.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
So it's a win win.

I can't help but think of Shirobako when I hear the term "win win" now.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
I sorta had a feeling that at some point, people who worked at Ghibli would eventually go on to do other things.

Even if Yoshiaki hasn't left Ghibli per say, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more Ghibli talents tackling other projects.

Not a bad thing IMO Smile
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
I hope Ghibli doesn't close up shop, even if that may put us in for a long winter of not-so-classic films. There were similar concerns when Walt Disney passed on, and while Disney certainly did have a stretch of not-so-stellar movies, we eventually got the Disney renaissance in the 90s. Also, Gainax hibernated for years before bursting back on the scene with Evangelion. As long as it's alive, hope remains.

Another aspect to Ghibli that I'd really hate to see go is the job security it gave its artists. Miyazaki was no fan of the production system pioneered by Osamu Tezuka, which led to everybody being freelance (see his blistering critique of Tezuka in "Starting Points").

In addition to making high quality films, one of the things he and Takahata wanted to do in founding Ghibli was to create a studio with regular staff, where people had project-to-project continuity. That's practically unheard of in the industry, and it would be a shame to lose it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is time to move on from Ghibli. It's not like the studio is going anywhere they'll still be working on stuff, but it's time for new blood and new creations. So now we're seeing it. We'll start following these new people and state, "he's was a former Ghibli animator, director, etc..." We're witnessing "change".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
I sorta had a feeling that at some point, people who worked at Ghibli would eventually go on to do other things.

Well, the alternative would be that the people at Ghibli would find themselves out of the industry altogether and have to pursue other forms of employment. That can happen sometimes when an entertainment company falls apart (like with 3D Realms), but I think the people at Ghibli have a good enough record in order to avoid that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wonder how transferable Ghibli animation training is to regular anime work since Hayao Miyazaki preaches "illusion of real life" (his common advice is to go outside and watch and learn) as opposed to idealized anime tropes
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
There are many animation styles being used in anime. Ghibli was more realistic style which is not common in TV animation but I think film studios like Hosoda's are similar in that sense.

Also, Miyazaki himself said that animation is not a skill hard to learn. He said that instead of trying to learn how to animate which is easy they should go to college and study history, literature and stuff to get ideas in their brains. I figure that it's easy for experienced animators to change the style of animation from full animation to minimal animation depending on the type of proejct. They do that in other studios that makes movies and series all the time: movies have different animation style than series. Though in the case of Kyoto Animation I think that the animation style tries to be as realistic as possible even in TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueBrain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Kaze Tachinu was a literal snorefest. I fell asleep at least 4 times watching it. I ended up having to rewatch 30 - 45 minute segments each time forgetting I watched it so BOOOORING. I coulda just watched myself smoke cigarettes in the mirror and wax poetic about flight and had more fun.

Really was hoping for some Pearl Harbor action...
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wonder how transferable Ghibli animation training is to regular anime work since Hayao Miyazaki preaches "illusion of real life" (his common advice is to go outside and watch and learn) as opposed to idealized anime tropes

Not a problem since animators are not automa. You know, they can have different opinions on how to do things. Just look at Princess Kaguya, is it the illusion of real life ? No, it's a very stylised 50's-Disney era like animation film. Miyazaki is not the end all to animation.
Never was and never will be. And animation, wether hand drawn on acetate cels, or hand drawn on a tablet and then digitised is the same thing.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Another aspect to Ghibli that I'd really hate to see go is the job security it gave its artists. Miyazaki was no fan of the production system pioneered by Osamu Tezuka, which led to everybody being freelance (see his blistering critique of Tezuka in "Starting Points").

In addition to making high quality films, one of the things he and Takahata wanted to do in founding Ghibli was to create a studio with regular staff, where people had project-to-project continuity. That's practically unheard of in the industry, and it would be a shame to lose it.

Ghibli might've been the first one to do it, but it's not a unique setup. Kyoto Animation and Ufotable have a similar system - and honestly, you can see it in the output.

More importantly, they've also preserved the system where in-between animation is done in-house. They train their animators at the studio, and offer clear chances to rise in the ranks into key animators, animation directors, episode directors and directors. Just like in the old times. Ghibli had problems doing this when it became apparent that they needed some new directors, because the company culture just wasn't designed for that sort of thing.

(Toei has some full-time animators too, but let's not go there.)

Last edited by ptj_tsubasa on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2