• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: No Attack on Titan Pieces in Anime Symphonia Concert

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Not that I'd go to such a concert, but that sucks for those who were since I imagine the AoT performances were a main draw at least for the younger audience.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the music pieces of Attack on Titan had to be dropped due to a copyright dispute...Oh well, at least there's Madoka Magica.

Then again, I think the orchestra will be in for a rude awakening for their refusal of offering their customers refunds as a result of this change.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Not totally sure how I feel about this. Would it have been like the Studio Ghibli 25 Years Concert or Pokemon Symphonia Evolutions Concert? If so, I would have really enjoyed it. Crying or Very sad *Wallows in sadness*

The other anime choices for music in this event "sound" (haha Anime hyper) just as superb though so there's that!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The article says:
Quote:
received permission to perform Attack on Titan pieces from JASRAC (the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers) and the composer, Hiroyuki Sawano, the copyright holding company claimed the performance was an infringement.

I'm failing to see how it was infringement if they had permission from the series composer and JASRAC.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The music choice is still awesome. But wow...that really sucks. I hate how "the copyright holding company ." has more choice about it than the composer himself
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why the popular anime of today are popular. I find most of them okay but nothing to get excited about including AoT. I feel there are better anime out there and I'm talking about current anime, not necessarily old ones.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
It sounds to me like Sawano Hiroyuki used the legal card just because he can.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The music choice is still awesome. But wow...that really sucks. I hate how "the copyright holding company ." has more choice about it than the composer himself

Maybe there's some kind of legal issue where the copyright holder might actually have a bigger ownership than the other people.
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Like we needed more Attack on Titan oversaturation anyways.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
It sounds to me like Sawano Hiroyuki used the legal card just because he can.

It wasn't his fault; he gave permission. The "copyright holding company" intervened.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The article says:
Quote:
received permission to perform Attack on Titan pieces from JASRAC (the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers) and the composer, Hiroyuki Sawano, the copyright holding company claimed the performance was an infringement.

I'm failing to see how it was infringement if they had permission from the series composer and JASRAC.

Because neither of them actually own the music, they just say it's OK to play it assuming they have permission from the copyright holders, which apparently they didn't.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Aw to bad AOT has some awesome music, but the other parts they brought in aren't to bad. Still even here it's pretty rare to get refunds for a line-up change unless it is a very large band.

Really wish more orchestra's played vg and anime music in NA. Sad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Because neither of them actually own the music, they just say it's OK to play it assuming they have permission from the copyright holders, which apparently they didn't.

JASRAC is a copyright collective - if the copyright holder is a member then the organisers shouldn't need to go any further; that's what they're there for. If they're not a member then JASRAC couldn't have given permission in the first place.

Quote:
JASRAC grants license with simple procedures and appropriate fees, for every possible form of copyright use including performances as in concerts[...]

http://www.jasrac.or.jp/ejhp/users/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If the JASRAC people say it's okay, then I wonder what's holding them up further. Maybe there was some miscommunication going on, either between the event organizers and JASRAC or between JASRAC and the rights holders for Attack on Titan.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Mini-review of part of the concert (I'm not sure if the poster had to leave early to catch a flight home):

https://forum.canta-per-me.net/threads/official-puella-magi-madoka-magica-movie-orchestra-concert.4739/page-2#post-270759
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2