• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo: New Record Set With 90,500 Unique Attendees

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This is such a great sign
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
They'll need more space if it gets much bigger. The convention center was packed this year and I read that fire codes capped it at 80,000 people. The SPJA might have to start renting out more hotel ball rooms like they did with the Marriot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Well that helps explain why parking was sold out fairly early everyday.

They're going to need to expand, and likely by the 2016 expo. They aren't using nearly enough of the LACC space. I've heard they're moving the artist alley to that new hall that used to be a parking lot. While I do think the artist alley should be moved - they're aren't given nearly enough space, and it's become hell to walk through in recent years - putting it where most people won't be going is a dick move, they should move it to the West Hall. They need something in the West Hall. They're wasting space by just having some games and cosplay things in there. No one goes into that hall. If you have a hall full of tables and most are empty, that's a problem. They need to either go full E3 and use both halls as exhibitor halls, or they need to add more things to get more people in there and out of other packed areas of the building.

AX is quickly approaching San Diego Comic Con attendance numbers. That's good and bad. Good because yay anime. Bad because the LACC can't handle SDCC numbers. San Diego can barely handle them. They get a lot of help from hotels, museums, and now the San Diego library. That won't work here. And really we don't even need it. SDCC uses those spaces for panel rooms. AX doesn't need more panel space, because they already have so few panels to begin with.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
rdsathene

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't attended since 2009, and was overwhelmed by how packed it was this year. While I'm glad it is getting more popular, it seemed a little too crowded for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Well that helps explain why parking was sold out fairly early everyday.

They're going to need to expand, and likely by the 2016 expo. They aren't using nearly enough of the LACC space. I've heard they're moving the artist alley to that new hall that used to be a parking lot. While I do think the artist alley should be moved - they're aren't given nearly enough space, and it's become hell to walk through in recent years - putting it where most people won't be going is a dick move, they should move it to the West Hall. They need something in the West Hall. They're wasting space by just having some games and cosplay things in there. No one goes into that hall. If you have a hall full of tables and most are empty, that's a problem. They need to either go full E3 and use both halls as exhibitor halls, or they need to add more things to get more people in there and out of other packed areas of the building.

AX is quickly approaching San Diego Comic Con attendance numbers. That's good and bad. Good because yay anime. Bad because the LACC can't handle SDCC numbers. San Diego can barely handle them. They get a lot of help from hotels, museums, and now the San Diego library. That won't work here. And really we don't even need it. SDCC uses those spaces for panel rooms. AX doesn't need more panel space, because they already have so few panels to begin with.

I spend large amounts of time in the Entertainment Hall, and it's pretty packed every time I go there. I love watching the people go at it on the rhythm games and such. Cosplay is also a huge, huge thing at Anime Expo, and that's something I feel should not be taken away.

Regarding space to expand, it was a good thing AIG chose to move their stadium elsewhere, because that would've been quite the crisis for anything large at the LA Convention Center. (They were planning on putting it right next to the Staples Center and only a few months ago did they actually respond to the outcry to move it somewhere else).

As for parking, I use public parking elsewhere, though even the 8th and Flower lot that I traditionally use is filling up quickly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on AX getting this large! Someday I will go to it.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I fear with Otakon moving to DC in 2017. While they aren't going to be anywhere near THAT insane, even a 10k increase will feel smothering.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
I've heard they're moving the artist alley to that new hall that used to be a parking lot. While I do think the artist alley should be moved - they're aren't given nearly enough space, and it's become hell to walk through in recent years - putting it where most people won't be going is a dick move, they should move it to the West Hall. They need something in the West Hall. They're wasting space by just having some games and cosplay things in there. No one goes into that hall. If you have a hall full of tables and most are empty, that's a problem. They need to either go full E3 and use both halls as exhibitor halls, or they need to add more things to get more people in there and out of other packed areas of the building.

The reason to put Artist Alley in the same wing as the Exhibit Hall is that they both have to close, and probably close to the same time (so that artists and booth staffers can take a break). If they're both in the same place that lets the convention center close down 1 wing after hours, which I bet saves SPJA some money; meanwhile they still have large areas (the Concourse Hall and west wing) to host large events as well as large numbers of people just hanging out. I agree that it would be nice if they could find a few more ways to bring people into the Entertainment Hall - this year's Nendoroid, Little Witch Academia, and video game history exhibits were a good start.
85cmpersecond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Strangely enough, I actually felt like it was less crowded than last year, although Saturday I was mostly off-site for the IA/Wagakki and Love Live stuff so maybe it was pretty bad that day? (or I just have a higher tolerance for crowds this year, dunno)

I had a lot of fun this year, mostly because I focused on a few things (cosplay photography and concerts) rather than trying to mess with waiting in line for panels/video showings/seeing everything in Exhibit Hall. I don't mind it growing a bit, but I definitely see a problem if it keeps growing every year through 2019; the LACC doesn't seem quite equipped for that...
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I do believe tunrstyle numbers are really just bunk compared to badges and unique registrants. It did feel less crowded yet was the first time I saw Masqurade sold out. I ususally am able to walk in a bit after the start as people filter back out, but this year it was plain ol sold out. Getting around was better, and the few panels I went to was attendable. A moved artist alley would hurt if people weren't properly notified about it, but with more space would mean it can be it's own thing. Entertainment hall was doing it right. The cosplay section is a solid addition, but it is questioning who's paying for that set storage. I'm going to stick to busing in for this con. I should go buy a badge now.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Whos that guy again who said Anime was a mistake!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask

how much will it cost to attend this event?

for me i guess i have to drive across state line.. find a motel to stay for a few days..

what's the cost of admission tickets and other things

total cost per person?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
I have to ask

for me i guess i have to drive across state line.. find a motel to stay for a few days..

total cost per person?

Four day pass when I went last year I believe was $70. If you're going to find a hotel I suggest staying a little out of the way away from LA, or if you have enough people to room with, that is always recommended. I'd ready $500 just for pass, room, food, and whatever merchandise you want to get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
The reason to put Artist Alley in the same wing as the Exhibit Hall is that they both have to close, and probably close to the same time (so that artists and booth staffers can take a break).

I would guess it's also because both groups are at Anime Expo to sell things, and so it's one stop shopping for attendees who want to buy something.

Don't forget that there's also a special discounted pass for those who just want to go into that room with the Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley; moving Artist Alley somewhere else will make things a lot more complicated for that kind of pass.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
I have to ask

total cost per person?

While I can't factor in how much traveling, food, lodging, and things you might buy within the building since it depends on who you are as an individual, prices for badges vary depending on how early you purchase them. To my knowledge, 2016 passes are not yet available. They usually start becoming available in either December or January, so check back during then. They'll increase in price the closer it gets to Anime Expo itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2