• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GATE Anime to Return in January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
As expected.

The way the finale ended implied a second season and this was originally was going to be 24 episodes anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I already knew that the anime was going to be 24 episodes long, but I was under the impression that it was going to run for 6 months straight. But split cours works for me; Winter 2016 keeps nicely shaping up for me.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
another good series ruined when they animated it..
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series. But people gonna hate since its A-1 pictures. I always find it hilarious how when A-1 rush their absolutely crucified, yet Madhouse have been rushing Overlord a ton recently and its just simply overlooked because its still "enjoyable"..... TALK ABOUT BIAS!!!
Typical anime community I guess, such a damn pity. Wish everyone would be more like Japanese fans and just like an anime for what it is and like the original work for what it is. But that will happen god knows when
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was 24 episodes, but I thought it would be continuous, not broken up. Kinda of disappointed. I guess I'll see how the Fall season shapes up without it before I get too disappointed though.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
I knew it was 24 episodes, but I thought it would be continuous, not broken up. Kinda of disappointed. I guess I'll see how the Fall season shapes up without it before I get too disappointed though.

They're probably focusing a lot on The Perfect Insider this Fall, since its their first seinen since 2013.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll take this as an opportunity to think if I actually want to watch the second cour of this
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
I loved this series. But people gonna hate since its A-1 pictures. I always find it hilarious how when A-1 rush their absolutely crucified, yet Madhouse have been rushing Overlord a ton recently and its just simply overlooked because its still "enjoyable"..... TALK ABOUT BIAS!!!
Typical anime community I guess, such a damn pity. Wish everyone would be more like Japanese fans and just like an anime for what it is and like the original work for what it is. But that will happen god knows when

I'd like to think it if their producers didn't have such astronomical egos and were always bragging about the work they do and that everything is going to be this big huge deal that will leave the competition in the dust and make a ton of money (while their workers are overworked, underpaid and in some cases fall ill or even die as a result of their schedules), achieve cult hit status and then proceeded to engage in stealth marketing, and charge way more for their products in foreign countries than any other competing publisher while claiming the reason for it is that it's a "superior" product that people including myself wouldn't relish every chance they have to stick it to them.

I didn't mind them too much before they started to adopt their parent companies attitude more and more and strut around like they are cock of the walk and can do anything they want with anything they can get their hands on as long as it's popular, now I really dislike them and a lot of people I know hate their pricing schemes too and general cocksure attitude. If it weren't for today's surprise announcement about the SAO soundtrack I wouldn't have though they cared even remotely about their fans, up front PR and the actual quality of their product as long as they've made their money.

So yeah I'd like to think if a company is going to act and present the kind of "for the money" attitude they do that they kind of earn their extra criticism, but personally I don't even think it's enough half the time and they get away with things that other companies never would because of their PR spin, stealth marketing and friends in entertainment news. Also ironically the way you go on about fans just liking things unconditionally for what they are I'm reasonably sure you are A-1's ideal customer lol.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This are good news, at least we won't wait for it so much time. I think is a correct decision, as A-1 might be running low of budget for the show, and delaying it until January is likely to make the anime as consistent as it has been all along this season.

I've just caught up with the series, and I'm glad I did, because I'm having a good time watching it (it makes it better that my brother likes it too, so we can share some laughs while watching it). Really good series, and now I'm looking forward to watching it next year.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
-snip-

It could be that the international releases of the episodes edited out some of the flags so as to "not hurt other nation's feelings," several scenes were cut out, and the scenes that were left were horribly cut.

Sure, Overlord had a lot of those problems too (even the scene where he hugged the girl was edited so she didn't vomit her innards) but they didn't turn a giant battle axe into an unbreakable 2x4 like they did with Rory.

A good deal of the series' appeal was the grit that they cut out, which is also what made a lot of the setting. Hell, it screwed a good deal with Rory as a whole with her "God of Death" thing.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

I'd like to think it if their producers didn't have such astronomical egos and were always bragging about the work they do and that everything is going to be this big huge deal that will leave the competition in the dust and make a ton of money (while their workers are overworked, underpaid and in some cases fall ill or even die as a result of their schedules), achieve cult hit status and then proceeded to engage in stealth marketing, and charge way more for their products in foreign countries than any other competing publisher while claiming the reason for it is that it's a "superior" product that people including myself wouldn't relish every chance they have to stick it to them.

I didn't mind them too much before they started to adopt their parent companies attitude more and more and strut around like they are cock of the walk and can do anything they want with anything they can get their hands on as long as it's popular, now I really dislike them and a lot of people I know hate their pricing schemes too and general cocksure attitude. If it weren't for today's surprise announcement about the SAO soundtrack I wouldn't have though they cared even remotely about their fans, up front PR and the actual quality of their product as long as they've made their money.

So yeah I'd like to think if a company is going to act and present the kind of "for the money" attitude they do that they kind of earn their extra criticism, but personally I don't even think it's enough half the time and they get away with things that other companies never would because of their PR spin, stealth marketing and friends in entertainment news. Also ironically the way you go on about fans just liking things unconditionally for what they are I'm reasonably sure you are A-1's ideal customer lol.

I'm curious about where you got all this info could you link it to me? Last time someone spoke so matter of fact said that Madhouse doesn't rely on sales for money (anyone with the smallest brain can see that wasn't true) and said i could google it quickly yet then turned around and said it took them 3 years to find, simply put, what he told me was utter bullshit.
As for pricing you obviously haven't seen the price of Shaft anime, or half the other studios. (12 episodes from ufotable costs over 400 dollars and the shit you get with it isn't worth the price)
And on the last part, maybe I am. I dont like having a picky attitude and saying shit about a studio for doing something i dont like. Yeah they ruined TSDS which is one of my favourite manga but i didn't give a flying shit! Because i still enjoyed it, I just won't buy it.

If being a stuck up company is what's needed to give directors and the sort complete freedom over their project I don't see why everyone should complain.
(btw, every single studio underpays and overworks their employees, not just A-1. I remember reading a story where someone said a no name studio paid him more than Madhouse did, and he had a higher ranking job in Madhouse) Oh and P.S., im not what people call a "fanboy" of a studio, I'm just so utterly sick at people taking their anger out on a studio because they don't rub them right and praise a studio that they know absolutely nothing about. It annoys me so much. If you don't like A-1 Pictures, then WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU WATCHING THEIR SERIES'??? (The ending statement is general, not aimed at you)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I already knew that the anime was going to be 24 episodes long, but I was under the impression that it was going to run for 6 months straight. But split cours works for me; Winter 2016 keeps nicely shaping up for me.

Indeed. The second cour of Akagami no Shirayukihime and the second cour of Gate?

Sounds like a fine start to the season to me.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

I'm curious about where you got all this info could you link it to me? Last time someone spoke so matter of fact said that Madhouse doesn't rely on sales for money (anyone with the smallest brain can see that wasn't true) and said i could google it quickly yet then turned around and said it took them 3 years to find, simply put, what he told me was utter bullshit.
As for pricing you obviously haven't seen the price of Shaft anime, or half the other studios. (12 episodes from ufotable costs over 400 dollars and the shit you get with it isn't worth the price)
And on the last part, maybe I am. I don't like having a picky attitude and saying shit about a studio for doing something i don't like. Yeah they ruined TSDS which is one of my favourite manga but i didn't give a flying shit! Because i still enjoyed it, I just won't buy it.

If being a stuck up company is what's needed to give directors and the sort complete freedom over their project I don't see why everyone should complain.
(btw, every single studio underpays and overworks their employees, not just A-1. I remember reading a story where someone said a no name studio paid him more than Madhouse did, and he had a higher ranking job in Madhouse) Oh and P.S., im not what people call a "fanboy" of a studio, I'm just so utterly sick at people taking their anger out on a studio because they don't rub them right and praise a studio that they know absolutely nothing about. It annoys me so much. If you don't like A-1 Pictures, then WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU WATCHING THEIR SERIES'??? (The ending statement is general, not aimed at you)

A-1 Pictures does not give their staff complete creative freedom at all, if anything they are among the biggest meddlers out there. Also just google "A-1 Pictures Suicide" or really look for any interview with any one of their producers and how arrogant they come across.

Also maybe just try calming down a little and not having a melt down, that'll probably go a long way in forum interactions.

chito895 wrote:
This are good news, at least we won't wait for it so much time. I think is a correct decision, as A-1 might be running low of budget for the show, and delaying it until January is likely to make the anime as consistent as it has been all along this season.

I've just caught up with the series, and I'm glad I did, because I'm having a good time watching it (it makes it better that my brother likes it too, so we can share some laughs while watching it). Really good series, and now I'm looking forward to watching it next year.

More likely it's a matter of scheduling. They've been taking on more projects than they can reasonably handle for a while now in the quest for profit maximization. If a hot property shows up that looks exploitable they'll sooner take it and do a shoddy adaptation just so they can retain the adaptation rights to it going forward rather than wait until they are in a position to focus on it. They're a mass production company, that's just how they operate really.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
As expected. It would've been odd if it wasn't due in January.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
I knew it was 24 episodes, but I thought it would be continuous, not broken up.

Probably the first clue was the the BD/DVD release was solicited as a set of 6 volumes, which pointed toward only 12 episodes (for that release). The next clue was when another series was scheduled for the same time slot in the autumn.

I don't normally keep track of such data (especially the former), so credit goes to TheCoffeeGod for noting that information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2