• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Christian Charity Removes Pokémon, Harry Potter Toys from X-Mas Drive

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
If you're offended or bothered by a FICTIONAL toy/book, and you can't just enjoy it and understand it's not real, you have issues and really need to seek some help.

Ban everything. Play with sticks and rocks.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Meh. They're a charity. They can take or not take whatever they want for whatever reason they want. I don't see how this is Interesting.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
It is impossible not to offend someone, no matter what you do.

So the kids, some, will likely not get a toy that they would have enjoyed or, worse, won't get anything at all.

Thanks to the publicity some people probably won't give to the charity again.

What a mess.

Mark Gosdin
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I suggest some people look up the word "charity" and find out what it means. Hint: it doesn't mean "something you are entitled to".
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, I don't mind. As they said, not everyone shares the same views in such a big organization. Instead of getting into debates about Pokemon and Harry Potter it's better to just drop it and focus on what they do, charity. So it's fine, they're doing good and that's what matters.
Torrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Some of the above posts really irked me in a bad way.

I know some people are going to freak out about religion and condemn this charity and paint them in an extremely negative light. However this is a charity simply not giving away toys they or people who may receive them deem inappropriate. Some will say they aren't being tolerant but they are really just not participating in something they don't want to. From what I can tell they don't want to ban these toys. It's actually the ones who condemn this charity that are being intolerant.

For what it's worth Operation Christmas Child is trying to do something good. What have you, the ones who are making posts about children not getting toys they want or mocking them for not giving away pokemon toys, done for someone this Christmas? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror rather than belittle a charity on ANN forums.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Why is this news? It's like giving out free fruit and taking out oranges and mangos. You're still getting apples, bananas and pears, which you wouldn't have gotten before. It's charity, it's a donation. I like to hammer hard on religion where I see fit but it doesn't fit here.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough, as long as they didn't destroy what they didn't want.
drifty1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Just what we need: yet another story of the misguided actions of religious nut-jobs...give it a rest. Kids may not get exactly what they want, but they're getting something instead of nothing. Congradulate them for trying.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Another annoying article. ...
Harry potter I can kind of understand since some people are sensitive to stuff like that...but I can't think of a christian or catholic who has a problem with pokemon.
That said I am sure they just went to another charity so it really is whatever.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
There's still a controversy over "Harry Potter?" That franchise hasn't been relevant in almost five years.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

That said I am sure they just went to another charity so it really is whatever.

Actually, charities do sometimes throw away and destroy items that do not align with their beliefs. So, rejecting a Pikachu plus means that it could be destroyed or thrown away- never to end up in the hands of someone who would like to have it. Instead they can have more traditional gifts, like a wooden horse.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I suggest some people look up the word "charity" and find out what it means. Hint: it doesn't mean "something you are entitled to".

Alrighty then... "Charity, noun, the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need."

I assume your point is that they aren't obligated to give out certain brands of toys, which is true. The problem is they didn't just avoid buying Pokemon/Potter toys, they threw out toys that people had donated because they thought they were emissaries of the devil or something. So a lot of people's donations were wasted, and fewer toys were given out. They could have at least not accepted the offensive toys in the first place...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
...but I can't think of a christian or catholic who has a problem with pokemon.

I am Catholic and I have no problem whatsoever with Pokemon, but I am ashamed to say that some others do have a problem.

If the harry potter/pokemon toys were indeed destroyed (instead of rejected), that is a sad sad affair, I would not give to said charity next year.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
So they got nothing better to do then remove stuff people give becuse they doing like it sound so half assed of them and just like them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5