• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hollywood's Rings Film Delayed to April 1, 2016

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, another installment in a long since run into the ground franchise based on another long since run into the ground franchise has been delayed. I'm not sure I can look forward to Christmas anymore.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ughh... the chances of this actually being a good movie are slim considering when you look at the quality drop from the first American Ring movie to the second (and oh god the American Grudge movies), but the kid inside of me that longs for the days reminiscent of the 2000's Asian horror revolution is freakishly excited for this nonetheless.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It would be cool if somebody did a reboot that actually followed the story of the novels, but we definitely don't need any more crappy sequels.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I find the release date quite amusing. I'm expecting to see nothing but positive reviews on that day, no matter how horrible it actually is.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Ughh... the chances of this actually being a good movie are slim considering when you look at the quality drop from the first American Ring movie to the second (and oh god the American Grudge movies), but the kid inside of me that longs for the days reminiscent of the 2000's Asian horror revolution is freakishly excited for this nonetheless.

And even worse if you've seen the original Sadako 3D films (when they were briefly showing in 3D on Netflix):
There are, of course, no tapes anymore, and no cursed DVD's, so Sadako has to leap out of cellphone YouTube videos posted by another poseur Japanese teen who wants to bring her back....Yes. Rolling Eyes

And that was the Japanese story they're not using for the US version--
Even the Japanese couldn't come up with a convincing reason to reboot the series in the 00's, what makes us think the Batman & Robin screenwriter's going to have any better luck?
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And even worse if you've seen the original Sadako 3D films (when they were briefly showing in 3D on Netflix):
There are, of course, no tapes anymore, and no cursed DVD's, so Sadako has to leap out of cellphone YouTube videos posted by another poseur Japanese teen who wants to bring her back....Yes. Rolling Eyes

And that was the Japanese story they're not using for the US version--
Even the Japanese couldn't come up with a convincing reason to reboot the series in the 00's, what makes us think the Batman & Robin screenwriter's going to have any better luck?

Haha yeah the 3D movie on netflix was hilarious. I mean I guess they could go for total camp, but I really want another genuinely good Ring movie.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
But we're missing the point--
According to the headline, it's being moved to April, aka "Cannon Fodder Month", so it can be quickly and painlessly crushed by Captain America a few weeks later in May, but enjoy a humane last meal of low-profile promotion weekends and no-competition empty cineplexes before its swift execution.

If the studios hated it even more, they'd have moved it to the last two weeks in April, like the Ratchet & Clank Movie and the Amityville reboot, but that would be too cruel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1