• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Partnership with Sumitomo to Create Company to Co-Produce Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Partnership to co-produce anime? this is interesting. I recall Funimation also working on an anime series recently. Hopefully this also brings more series for CR in the upcoming years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
As long they avoid adapting light novels considering most of them are garbage. Here's hoping they produce good adapted works and also original ones.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
Oh boy here comes another NA anime crash :/
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
SumiRoll has a nice ring to it. But more important is what barely legal cartoon girl they'll pick as a mascot.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Oh boy here comes another NA anime crash :/

That was my first thought. These are some crazy exciting times, for sure. I do trust Crunchyroll though, so I'm very interested in what becomes of this. I just hope it doesn't actually end in some kind of bubble burst. Funimation and Crunchyroll are pushing each other closer and closer to the cliff, it seems.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
The concept of non-Japanese companies partaking in anime's production is seldomly implemented, AFAIK. Best of luck to them.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
If this means some of the single season shows or abandoned franchises I liked that need a sequel can now be funded, then I'm all for this.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
Same reason other streaming services like Netflix and Amazon are getting into producing content. Being a middleman in a two sided market can be tricky. It's pretty easy to get into the streaming platform game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
N. American companies used to do this a lot a decade ago during the anime boom years, for the same reason of not having to go thru bidding wars for licenses. Did ya guys enjoy
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Did ya guys enjoy

Your comment got cut off, but from context I'm pretty sure your next words were gonna be "Sin: The Movie" and "M.D. Geist II: Death Force." Very Happy

In all seriousness, I think this would be an excellent moment for CR subscribers to let CR know they expect decent pay for the animators making it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
If all goes well, perhaps even shows that would probably have gone unnoticed will have a bigger chance of being noticed. I hope the partnership works out well.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
I personally don't care about crunchyroll because I don't stream anime and prefer dubs but if this leads to Crunchy getting more series and holding exclusive rights I really hope they develop a division and get those series with the intent to release them on home video. As someone who only watches a series when I have bought it would stink if any series that's picked up never sees a home video release. Not sure if they already have something like that though.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Great! It's nice to see a different kind of horse in the race on production committees. More diversity there is always a good thing. Hope this means more originals and less adaptations.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Does Sumitomo have much experience in the Japanese anime industry or in publishing? I don't see evidence of any involvement in content creation from their website. Sony at least owns a studio to go with its distribution network.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I personally don't care about crunchyroll because I don't stream anime and prefer dubs but if this leads to Crunchy getting more series and holding exclusive rights I really hope they develop a division and get those series with the intent to release them on home video. As someone who only watches a series when I have bought it would stink if any series that's picked up never sees a home video release. Not sure if they already have something like that though.

Most of crunchyroll's library makes it to home release. They seem to have a really close relationship with Sentai Filmworks, since they license most of those series (or at least the ones I enjoy and pay attention to). Discotek and NIS get a few of those titles too. So as long as whatever they stream does decently well in numbers, i'm sure we can expect video releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4