• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Wallflower (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote

The Wallflower (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: bishounen, goth, male harem, parody

Plot Summary: Kyouhei, Ranmaru, Takenaga, and Yukinojou are beautiful, handsome, young men living in a huge mansion. One day, their landlord, whom they call "Auntie", asks them a favor: to make her niece, Sunako, who's going to be living with them, into a respectable young lady. She agrees to make their living expenses free of charge if they succeed, but if they fail, she'll triple their rent. Due to their confidence in knowing how to deal with women, they agree, but once they meet Sunako, they begin to realize that their lovely living arrangements may soon be in jeopardy.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-25

I originally saw this via fansubs at anime club meetings back in 2007-2008 and liked it so I bought the DVDs which have been sitting on my shelf for years, so I figured it was about time to watch it again.

At first glance, this appears to be something that I would avoid. Reverse harem shows are usually not for me, and rom-coms only if they are heavy on the comedy. However, while the show involves a girl (the title character) living with 4 bishonen, it doesn't really play like a reverse harem. More importantly, the comedy in this is great and way over the top, which is only to be expected as it was directed by Shinichi Watanabe of Excel Saga and Nerima Daikon Brothers.

The plot involves a woman gathering the aforementioned bishies to train her niece to be a "proper" lady; little do they know what they are getting into when the niece turns out to be incredibly creepy. It's a good setup for comedy and this show takes full advantage and then some.

At the same time, in addition to watching the obvious relationship between spoiler[the main bishie Kyouhei and the niece Sunako, the other characters get some time too. This is what I meant when I said it doesn't play like a reverse harem; two of the other bishies each have their own relationship issues with their own girlfriends which get some screen time so it's not a case of all of them chasing one girl.]

I originally rated this show as "excellent" and it definitely held up for this rewatch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1