• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 25 concerns. (Spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
In episode 25 of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I witnessed that a sniper blew off Kusanagi's head and only at this time, Batou shouted out "Motoko!!" I usually know Batou for addressing Kusanagi as Major instead of Motoko. Also, I felt that I might have heard Batou calling Kusanagi Motoko in the video game adaptation of the PlayStation 2 version published by Bandai Games Inc. Those scenes, one where Batou thought Kusanagi died in the chopper crash, he shouted "Motoko!!" Then, Kusanagi who survived told him not to call her that. Even at the ending of the game, Batou shouted out "Motoko!!" and succeeded in killing the fake Kusanagi. What is the issue with Kusanagi having a problem with Batou calling her Motoko? I don't understand this at all?

Anyway, about the last episode of the anime TV series, how did Kusanagi came back alive? I thought she was dead from the sniper bullet that blew up her head?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That wasn't really Motoko there. She wasn't wearing her watch then.] Of course, it's been a while since that ep aired, so someone refresh my memory if I'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I'll have to rewatch the episode and look for that. I always assumed from the Major's conversation with the Laughing Man in ep. 26 that her ghost went floating around cyberspace until her body was repaired.

Gives me a good reason to rewatch the series now Very Happy

-Murph
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
OKong wrote:
What is the issue with Kusanagi having a problem with Batou calling her Motoko? I don't understand this at all?

It is an intimate form of addres, to call someone by their personal name, and especially when honorifics (-san, etc.) are omitted. This act, yobisute, i.e. to just plainly call someone by their personal name without honorifics, is either very rude or very intimate.

Even though he obviously has romantic feelings for her, she isn't interested in him, that way, at all. Wrong gender, for one.

She's his commanding officer, for another. Even if they were lovers, no officer would tolerate insubordination, and that's what this is.

AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
OKong wrote:
Anyway, about the last episode of the anime TV series, how did Kusanagi came back alive? I thought she was dead from the sniper bullet that blew up her head?

spoiler[That wasn't really Motoko there. She wasn't wearing her watch then.] Of course, it's been a while since that ep aired, so someone refresh my memory if I'm wrong.

That's correct. spoiler[It was a mannequin, either simply programmed to simulate Kusanagi, or remotely controlled. The anime doesn't make it clear which, as I recall.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrockPot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile for me too but I think spoiler[the 'major' was controlling the body that was sniped remotely. Like she did with the 'plain looking' body she used earlier to get Batou after he went to one of her safehouses. Even so there was enough of her 'ghost' there that the trauma nearly wiped out her personality anyway from the shock. I seem to remember her saying later, that it took her some time to pull herself back together]

So she never really got shot.
CGord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Even though he obviously has romantic feelings for her, she isn't interested in him, that way, at all. Wrong gender, for one.

Ya know, there was a part in GITS: SAC that led me to believe that was the case, though it was not blatantly obvious. The memory is vague, but she went to a girl's highrise apartment, & there were a couple of them passed out, & something was said about Motoko missing out on the fun. I think.

I don't remember anything sexual in the movies; does the manga address her preferences? (I'm only familiar with the various GITS anime.)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
I don't remember anything sexual in the movies; does the manga address her preferences? (I'm only familiar with the various GITS anime.)

There's a rather graphic scene in the manga of Motoko having some "fun" with her two female friends on a boat, with Batou looking on. That scene in SAC where Motoko has Batou slug himself in the chin? Based on that part in the manga, when Motoko discovers he's watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well according to the second season (Episodes 27-52) it seems she's bisexual actually as she spoiler[was still in love with Kuze.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Hm, I never noticed the watch missing.

I thought it was the Major who got sniped, but her memories were downloaded onto the net and then put back in a spare body (thus the images of the net opening episode 26).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
Personally I've always been confused over Mokoto's actual gender. Several times in the series, Batou addresses her about getting a male body since he thinks it's suit her better...almost sounds like Mokoto is really a guy in a female frame <_<
CGord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Several times in the series, Batou addresses her about getting a male body since he thinks it's suit her better

I believe he's thinking about the ability to to the job; he's assuming the male body to be better for combat. spoiler[It's obvious from watching the 2nd Gig that she was born female.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hm, I never noticed the watch missing.

I thought it was the Major who got sniped, but her memories were downloaded onto the net and then put back in a spare body (thus the images of the net opening episode 26).

Personally I thought that spoiler[it was her in the body but she left her body into the net just before she was killed. I thought that I remember hearing her say to Laughing man that it was a close call....]

Nagisa wrote:
There's a rather graphic scene in the manga of Motoko having some "fun" with her two female friends on a boat, with Batou looking on.

Are you referring to the infamous spoiler[oil scene that was originally cut from the manga, or is this something else?]

Delta
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
There's a rather graphic scene in the manga of Motoko having some "fun" with her two female friends on a boat, with Batou looking on.

Are you referring to the infamous spoiler[oil scene that was originally cut from the manga, or is this something else?]

Cut? It's in the Dark Horse release. I believe it's chapter two, but I'm not sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pillar81

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The initial printing in the 90s cut that scene out. DH only recently rereleased it uncut.
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Her brain is the only thing that's still organic, right? If so, does her body produce the female hormones and such that affect the brain and way we think and feel?
The remark about her getting a male body got me to thinking- if she did get a male body, would she still be considered homosexual for desiring women, and if so, why? What if the estrogen her brain was receiving was replaced with testosterone? Just some things to discuss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2