• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Otaku' Term Extends To Introduce Diverse Meanings and Impact on Economy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Itaotaku #1 checking in.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
"Otaku" was never a term that was only exclusive to fans of anime and manga in the first place.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So where does one sign up for registration as a professional anime otaku
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
"Otaku" was never a term that was only exclusive to fans of anime and manga in the first place.

That's also been my understanding for almost the past two decades at least. Otaku just means someone with an obsessive interest in something. There are motorcycle otaku, military otaku, etc. Though I do wonder if in Japan the word 'otaku' has become more strongly associated with anime fans in recent years.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So where does one sign up for registration as a professional anime otaku

Laughing

Interesting. Based on the wording, that sounds like a good thing to me. More Otaku, more diversity, more variety, and hopefully more socializing. I'm probably more of an "Itaotaku" myself, but hopefully not in the super annoying way. Sometimes I just want to wear my Homura T-shirt. I can't help it.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So I'm in the middle of hidden otaku and itaotaku, maybe more the former than the latter. For one part, I don't go outside and show off my anime and manga interests to strangers and I'm sociable, but I usually take photos of my goodies and upload them to FB or other social media.

Heh, this guys and their terminology are very useful sometimes.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm probably more of an "Itaotaku" myself, but hopefully not in the super annoying way. Sometimes I just want to wear my Homura T-shirt. I can't help it.

Ditto. I'm so damn socially awkward in public but I'm not at all ashamed for showing off my otaku pride with t-shirts and the like.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

Ditto. I'm so damn socially awkward in public but I'm not at all ashamed for showing off my otaku pride with t-shirts and the like.

And we shouldn't be ashamed! I have a lot of anime apparel. I like to support the shows I like. It's also really awesome when you meet someone else who actually recognizes it too. I've met a lot of awesome people just because they saw my Evangelion shirt, or they liked my Ghibli bumper sticker. Having something in common takes away a lot of the awkwardness for me.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I always adore when someone tries to explain to me "Stop calling yourself an Otaku, that's not how the Japanese use the word!" Does the mounting literature on the subject count as evidence? It sure should.

I do like seeing more literature on the subject itself. Otaku, know thyself.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The marketers now consider the (anime) otaku market worth examining & dividing into different consumer categories for better targeted marketing purposes? It's the beginning of the end!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I suppose I'm a "rear charge"; I only own a few anime t-shirts but, I have no problem showing keychains or cell phone charms of my favorite characters.

Since there has been a stigma with hardcore and casual anime/manga/video game fans, having more neutral labels would help those who really like their hobby but, found a balance of sorts.

Perhaps that why there have been an increase of fashionable anime/manga clothes recently for fans who are in between those extremes.
mdreura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there is a significant chunk of important information missing from this article.

So... Harada-san has identified four (new?) categories of otaku... The "rear charge" assertive type outline in paragraph 2... The "hidden otaku/itaotaku" referenced in paragraph 3... And the original category of "gachiota" otaku.

So what's the fourth category hinted at in the intro and depicted in the accompanying insert graphic? It's a little strange that four categories are specifically mentioned and even shown visually in the diagram and the article text glosses over one of them somehow.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
In other words, instead of adopting it, they're trying to get the message out that to be an Otaku, or even express an interest in anime, manga or game culture, is not to be the work-shunning Cancer of Japan, as the entire mainstream population wants to dump the social blame on them for being.

Nice start, they just need to refine their message a little bit.
They've got what you might call an uphill battle. Confused
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the type i encounter most these days is the anti social but likes flaunting their "otakuness" type. Just a lot of really nasty people that dont know how not to be extreme about everything in this fanbase nowadays. College Humor actually did a great send up of it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
I feel like there is a significant chunk of important information missing from this article.

So... Harada-san has identified four (new?) categories of otaku... The "rear charge" assertive type outline in paragraph 2... The "hidden otaku/itaotaku" referenced in paragraph 3... And the original category of "gachiota" otaku.

So what's the fourth category hinted at in the intro and depicted in the accompanying insert graphic? It's a little strange that four categories are specifically mentioned and even shown visually in the diagram and the article text glosses over one of them somehow.

The Hidden Otaku and Itaotaku are two different categories.

Rear Charge
Hidden Otaku
Itaotaku
Gachiota

Those are all 4 "new" versions of Otaku because they differ from the word "Otaku" by itself, in it's original meaning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3