• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace Attorney (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Ace Attorney (TV)

Genres: comedy, mystery
Themes: future, lawyers, murder

Plot Summary: Based on the hit Capcom game series, this anime follows the lives of new defense attorney Naruhodou Ryuuichi, his mentor Ayasato Chihiro and her spirit medium sister Mayoi as they work with colorful characters such as Detective Itonokogiri Keisuke to save Ryuuichi's clients from a guilty verdict.
----------------------------------

This series is long over due to get an anime but it's interesting to see it happen.

Will be adapted by studio A-1 Pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I'm not very impressed by the animation style of the show but the style of it seems interesting enough.

OP song is also okay. We got a case already and so far, it's looking alright. Ryuuichi can seriously be such a silly guy in this show. In the meantime, I kinda like the tension crafted for the face-offs. Yeah, most of the episode takes place in the courtroom so that was pretty spot on. Not bad for the first episode, looking forward to more. I hope the OST improves a bit though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Well you definitely can't accuse this show of not being faithful to the game. They take great pains to recreate it as close as they can.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I have actually played this game, or at least the English version, which I guess is kind of notorious. Phoenix Wright.

After being the subject of parodies/shout outs like in Haruhi or No Game No Life, it is kind of something to finally see an actual anime of this. It had kind of everything of the first case like overblown reactions. And we got one worthy OBJECTION!

The quality is not all that in places, and I think somewhat not too surprising since despite it being a murder mystery it is a children's game. Thought it was okay on just its series charm.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Hmm, this episode was more of a set up for next time although there are some clues that have been discovered, probably to be used at the courtroom session time. Thought this was better than previous episode. I also thought the OST for this series improved as well.

Naruhodo vs Mitsurugi....I hope this will live up to it.

OBJECTION. Really, I was not expecting that to happen to Chihiro...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
OBJECTION. Really, I was not expecting that to happen to Chihiro...

So you are not familiar with the game. Well the preview last episode did kind hint it would happen. Pretty much in the game the first trial was a tutorial, and afterwards it starts to hold your hand less.

Just for the record, this is a world where if you wast the court's time 3 times you lose the case. I liked a few scenes of transition since those really are not part of the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Apparently there are no discovery rules in Japanese law? Or just in this weird little universe?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Apparently there are no discovery rules in Japanese law? Or just in this weird little universe?

They are totally allowed to just bring in suddenly new evidence without it ever being checked, and even withhold information, small pieces of junk often end up. The legal system is pretty messed up in this universe as it becomes more of defence proving something else happened rather than reasonable doubt (need to prove the real culprit). Like he is more of a detective than the actual detective (the pal guy).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I know it's a game that people are very familiar with but this is an ANIME now... How about putting some damn effort into this thing?

The crappy animation treatment is actually forgivable to me but the lack of explanation of the way the world works is not. It really does seem to be a "guilty until proven innocent" set-up but I can't quite get a grasp of how extreme the situation is supposed to be. So far it's like The Sccoby gang defending a guest of a week from a sneering baddie... set in a shiny happy police state.

Yeah, it might all work in a game largely made accessible for early teens but this is an adaptation... How about trying to adapt the story into something that actually makes sense on its own?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
The crappy animation treatment is actually forgivable to me but the lack of explanation of the way the world works is not.

This and everything else you said. They could have gone a long way toward fixing that with just a 60 second intro narration, briefly explaining the current system and how it came to be in response to whatever. I kinda feel like I'm watching the final courtroom scenes from Wizard Barristers or Galilei Donna. Forget everything you know about jurisprudence...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I came very close to making the same comparison. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall the games ever establishing the law system either. There was just a general disclaimer in the manual about how the system seen is not meant to represent real life court.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Well this case got even more complex now....
That courtroom got tense (in a comical way imo). Umeyo's testimony made it rather amusing. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the context though for some reason.

Also, I feel like that Konoka guy is up to something or at least is someone that definitely can't be trusted on paper. Yeah, I heard there's a lot cut from the games though...

Poor Ryuuichi.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I was going to try to get through the case, but I think I'm out. This show is presented like a really crappy play-through video.

Just about the only video games I actually like are adventure games where you wander around, gather clues and beat your opponents with the dozens of items in your magic satchel. But watching this is about as fun as watching someone else play Monkey Island... without the jokes.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll start off with that I never played the games so the world's logic really bugs me. The incompetent police, arrest/charges base on circumstantial evidence, and other stuff just makes the claims all the more ridiculous. The "base on this circumstantial evidence you are absolutely guilty" stuff just makes me grimace every time. Oh, you happen to be at the crime scene? GUILTY! C'mon. I like my court/law dramas to have more substance than that. I wonder how big the incarceration rates is in this world. . . Still, the famous OBJECTION! is enough to keep me watching for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3