• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Past, Present and Future of Dragon Ball

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Really cool interview! I really love how he sticks up for the newbie animators, and after reading what he had to say about production time I kind of want to read more about how their process of animation works.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
"The criticism we've received has been way too overblown."

"Way too overblown"!?

He openly admits to employing new talent on a veteran franchise and that their timetable is completely screwed up because of the system they're using. It doesn't sound overblown, it sounds entirely justified. Because he justified it. In the interview.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:

"Way too overblown"!?

He openly admits to employing new talent on a veteran franchise and that their timetable is completely screwed up because of the system they're using. It doesn't sound overblown, it sounds entirely justified. Because he justified it. In the interview.

I'm going to take a shot and say this is sarcasm? But, what's wrong with putting new guys on a veteran show? And DBS isn't a veteran show, it's a veteran franchise. I think it's cool that they're putting newbies on popular shows, I mean who wants to learn their craft in the annals of the anime industry?
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

"Way too overblown"!?

I'm going to take a shot and say this is sarcasm? But, what's wrong with putting new guys on a veteran show? And DBS isn't a veteran show, it's a veteran franchise. I think it's cool that they're putting newbies on popular shows, I mean who wants to learn their craft in the annals of the anime industry?

But then how are they going to get all defensive when people are looking for quality and instead find the work of new animators on a completely unsustainable timetable? The franchise deserves better than that.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
The problem here is that there is next to no time for the young key animators to be mentored very well and animation supervisors have no time to correct drawings. If directors are feeling the brunt of it then it is no surprise that so many good directors are leaving the industry. It is nice that Dragon Ball Super has managed to retain a few good directors, though. Satou Masanori has been improving, Hatano Morio directed Episode #6 and #14 and as of Episode #33 became the series director alongside the great Chioka Kimitoshi, too.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
well newbie animators means also saving money for sure and they can use the excuse as the guy said that they are learning by the mistakes and will do better later, so yeh as a DB franchise it deserves better. But else the whole animation didn't really bother me much at the new DB-S i just see it as typical DB stuff yeh it could be better but well this days we see its all about bringing out as many as possible animes/episodes and save up as much as possible money while that so ofc the quality gonna drop. I think he said pretty good though that JPN needs a better work system and also as i say often they need too look outside abit more not just stuck up with jpn fans, well yeh thanks to the internet and the streaming sites it has gotten better, but there is still allot of places left where they can improve, because in the end more people brings more money so i dont see the point to clinging on to jpn fans only so much in this digital era.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder how teaming up with Netflix will change this? Didn't netflix say they wanted to try and make their own anime? If that's true it could mean that everyone working on the project could have as much time as they like.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate Hayashida's admission that the redone sequences from the first season of Dragon Ball Kai looked very jarring, and I wasn't aware that they were redone because of that flickering effect that stopped being used since the Pokémon seizure incident. However, the first season had two big advantages over the second one: no 16:9 cropping (at least in the BD release) and much better color corrections.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
Really cool interview! I really love how he sticks up for the newbie animators, and after reading what he had to say about production time I kind of want to read more about how their process of animation works.
I'm one of those people that thinks people are far too harsh against Dragon Ball Super. Newbie animators or not, I think it looks pretty well done for a show that's almost guaranteed to have a triple digit episode count.

Anyway, nice interview! Hayashida sounds like a very honest guy and I like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moli_Malone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Can be DBZ first season harmful to the eyes?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's a Vicious Circle: to sustain the quality level of a project, one needs experienced people. But to gain experience, one needs to work on a project. Sad
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a Cell resurrection movie, it would make a pretty good excuse to make Gohan relevant again since he's the one who killed him.
hanko14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
i found it almost punny when he said , it takes so long to draw him every time. You have to calculate how he's going to move PERFECTLY
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
We don't need another resurrection movie with Cell this time. I'd rather see new content/villains and not a rehash of previous fights/enemies.

Funimation can deny it all they want, but it is obvious they already have the Buu saga of DBZ Kai and have already dubbed it. I'm assuming Toei are the ones holding them up from releasing it. Probably want a TV deal, which means we'll be waiting at least another year for Toonami to catch up before the first DVD/Blu-ray set gets released. We better not have to wait for the Buu saga of Kai on TV to finish airing before we can get a release of Super. We'll be waiting 3-4 years for Super if thats the case.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I said it once, I will say it again...FnF is a waste of a movie.

*Starts new DB project in 18 years*

Let's get newbies. People will forgive them if they screw up this goldmine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3