• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AryaUshiromiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
No 7 Seeds? Preposterous!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'd recommend Otouto no Otto, aka My Brother's Husband, for a spot on this list. It's about a single father that receives a visit from his recently deceased twin brother's Canadian husband. He's put off at first but over time he comes to accept his new family member and learns plenty about the LGBT lifestyle along the way. It's written by an openly gay manga-ka so the subject matter is handled well. It has bara style artwork so that might turn off some but it's definitely work a look.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure all of these series are something I would enjoy, but Flowers for Seri sounds pretty neat.

My personal choices would be: Good Luck Girl! (aka Binbougami Gah!); a hilarious and emotional series with great art, which had a (i believe) pretty successful anime release. Sadly, i don't think this one will be picked up; it's pretty long.

The second would be World Embryo. I consider this to be a Madoka Magica-level deconstruction of the shonen battle manga genre, and I like it a lot. It's emotional moments hit very hard, and I don't think anyone else has attempted a manga like this. Again, like GlG, this one is kinda long, so i don't expect this to be picked up either.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Yes to Last Quarter!

It's mind boggling that no other Ai Yazawa works ever made it to America, especially when Paradise Kiss did so well and Nana was at its zenith. I assumed the asking price was too high because Yazawa was queen of shojo during the 00's, but Vertical was able to rescue ParaKiss later, so what gives?
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
For shoujo and josei fans, to say nothing of yuri readers and, to a lesser degree, seinen lovers, it can be particularly frustrating

I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here if I say that many manga fans in the US don't really care for shoujo/josei/yuri. Would it be too much to ask for a similar list of "seven manga that need an English release right now" that *aren't* just picked because they are shoujo/josei/yuri?

I'd give a LOT to see an English-language release of Tezuka's take on Crime and Punishment. Or even just a couple of Leiji Matsumoto's World War 2 manga!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Last Quarter is one of my favourite series of all time. I'd also love Gokinjo Monogatari to be released too. Heck, just bring over Ai Yazawa's entire back catalogue and I'll be happy, especially since it looks like Nana will never end.

@merr - ParaKiss was published by a different publisher in Japan than Yazawa's other works. TL; DR it's Viz or nothing for everything else, so if they aren't interested...
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
But what about Beelzebub.

I just want more Inio Asano manga stateside.

Another pick would be NisiOisiN/Akira Akatsuki's new manga Shounen Shoujo
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here if I say that many manga fans in the US don't really care for shoujo/josei/yuri.

I personally would like to read/purchase more Josei and Seinen manga. Harlequin types some, too. I've already had my fill of Shojo and that demographic is starting to bore me.

Last edited by Animechic420 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
ELFEN LIED!!!
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Would love Teppu, but female mma is probably not popular enough to warrant it (even though the mma part is the least interesting part of the manga).

I also really like legend of the sun knight, but I wouldn't say its particularly good, so the odd of it being brought over are pretty low.
Blues Drive Monster~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Great list, found a bunch of things I'd like to try out. As for things I'd love to see localised, I have a massive list.

Here's some I think would actually do well:
Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Sekine-Kun no Koi
Spirit Cirlce
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction

And here's a few that will never happen, but I'd love to see:
Onani Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Would love Teppu, but female mma is probably not popular enough to warrant it (even though the mma part is the least interesting part of the manga).

Forgotten about that one! I'd like to see that too.
Ame_Sama19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Rash!! is a cancelled series, it will never have a license.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind official releases of ALL Transformers and Gundam manga. I'd like to have Bitter Virgin and Captain Tsubasa on my shelf, too.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
TheJaceX wrote:
But what about Beelzebub.

I love the Beelzebub manga too, but i think most licensing companies wouldn't want to pick up a series that's so long (very risky; what if the early volumes don't sell?). While were dreaming here, yeah that would be awesome, but it probably isn't realistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7