• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-15]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Great rant! Jason said everything the way that I feel! There's an off button on the Remote...Exactly.

Quote:
For example, during the feudal era, it was not uncommon for thirteen year old girls to be married off to men twice their age, or older.

That happened in Medieval Europe as well. And the really sad thing is, it still happens. Look at that Fundamentalist Mormon splinter group run by recently arrested Warren Jeffs. He was having young girls marry their uncles for the love of God!

Of course, back then it was done for logical reasons, an older man had property, money, political power or some other tangible that the father of said girl felt would be advantageous to him. And don't think that doesn't happen today amongst the wealthy. I'm sure it does, it just isn't talked about.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
The rant was on poit this week. I feel the ranter got it all right, if not perfect.

I was wondering about Hellsing myself, the frist disc was just so awesome.

As for the One Piece thing I hope it can do something. become a hit in Britian or something and then make its way back over here. They're a lot futher in the manga over there right?

The Comment question seemed like it could have been replaced with another question or it at least felt like it had been asked before.

Overall great column as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
That was a hell of a rant, and very well done. I personally agree with almost everything said, if you don't like what on TV turn it off. If you don't want your kids watching it then take control parents. What's great about this country is that we have the ability to pick what Television show we want to watch, personally I don't think that all anime is for young kids, just as their are movies that younger kids shouldn't watch.

And as always another great article Zac, I still feel bad for the one piece fans thought.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Neither of these have been officially scheduled yet, but I wouldn't expect a solid, reliable release pattern for either of them.

Geneon just posted a 4/24 date for Hellsing Ultimate 2.

Quote:
What do I think? I think I really don't need to see yet another re-imagining of Romeo & Juliet.

I recommend Tromeo and Juliet
myself.... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If the property was performing up to the level they were expecting - or was even turning any kind of a reasonable profit for them - they wouldn't have pulled the plug. But they did.

If that's the case, shouldn't they have pulled the plug about 20 episodes sooner? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Take a look at shows like Inuyasha; sure, there's still a devoted fanbase, but it's not like that show is still the white-hot juggernaut it once was.

Perhaps, but if Ranma can last twice as long here as its Japanese release, I doubt Takahashi will be finished any time soon.

Quote:
One Piece had its chance and failed.

Actually, it failed, because it wasn't given a chance. 4Kids just tried to turn the series into another marketing gimmick instead of selling the show on its own merits.

Quote:
Nobody's going to want to touch it. Not even the video games sold well; we're not talking about a blockbuster property here.

To be fair, if people hate the dub actors, and the violence is toned down from the show, where's the incentive for the viewers to buy the games?

Quote:
It didn't, and maintaining some kind of oddball faith that the second 4Kids' license expires, perpetually cranky and unreasonable licensor Toei is going to suddenly turn around and sell the show off to Funimation or whoever and they're going to churn out giant, cheap, uncut, subtitled box sets is foolish. Ain't gonna happen.

It happened with DiC[k] and Sailor Moon-for a few months-so it's not impossible.

Quote:
Not only is everyone in it depressingly ugly and terrible,

Hey, now! The chick is hot in that one. Now Yuria, OTOH...

Quote:
it's also ridiculously violent, which will send Ashley running in terror, much like Paris Hilton whenever she encounters a K-Mart.

You sure about that? A lot of these girls seem to be into the violent stuff more than the guys nowadays. Look at the success of films like Saw and Hostel...
But I could be wrong....

Quote:
Not only is New Fist gross, ugly, and violent, it's also nowhere near as good as the original;

If you actually sat through even 4 eps of the Toei show, you'd change your mind.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
1. One Piece. The only reason why it failed here was because of the horrendous editing. 4Kids shot themselves in the foot a million times over!
2. Anime for relatives you hate. I've got an idea for an ultra-religious relative: Anything hentai, yuri, or yaoi!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, just you wait; in 2007 we're gonna get Ken Akamatsu's Les Miserables, where Jean Valjean is a hapless ronin virgin college kid and Cossette is his 12-year old panty-flashing jailbait half-sister from the future.

If this actually comes to fruition, so help me God...........

I forget who Cosette is, which is sad, since I actually saw this on Broadway.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
That said, just you wait; in 2007 we're gonna get Ken Akamatsu's Les Miserables, where Jean Valjean is a hapless ronin virgin college kid and Cossette is his 12-year old panty-flashing jailbait half-sister from the future.

I heard your wish. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:

Hahaha, Cossette is so MOE!!! Anime hyper

But since it's going to be part of the World Masterpiece Theater, the series will have some respectability, right?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Oh, holy crap. You have GOT to be kidding me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Regarding Les Miserables....

EDIT: Damn, someone beat me to it. But mine is the official website.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Oh, holy crap. You have GOT to be kidding me.

You don't remember that Nippon Animation is continuing World Masterpiece Theater with this little gem? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hahaha, Cossette is so MOE!!! Anime hyper

That title pic is nothing compared to these:

(Courtesy of jccw @ Proware's forum)

Just look at those big blue eyes in the second picture... they can melt a heart of steel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I heard your wish.
Laughing

A little plot point (what a timing! I'm actually going through that gigantic work right at the moment), wasn't little Cosette supposed to be plain and not, you know, moe?

Nice column this week! I didn't read the rant (never did), but the rest of the column is wonderfully devoid of anything and everything that had been repeated too much in the anime community as a whole; a refreshing read.

The dog, however...

I'd rather see a reindeer! Twisted Evil

Edit: more pics...

Wow! That is so funny in so many ways.

Last edited by Samurai-with-glasses on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Romeo and Juliet. When I saw the trailer I also thought that it looked similar to the Ghibli character design. I do not really like it. I kind of would have imagined something completely distinct and out there. I would like to see it though, simply because anime and Shakespeare is just the kind of thing I would enjoy watching.

The Tempest though? I've always thought it was one of the most boring of the Shakespearian plays. Conicidentaly I was thinking about this today. I wouldn't mind an anime adaptation of the Taming of the Shrew or King Lear focusing around one particular character I loved from it.... just, because I think it would be interesting.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Life's just full of surprises, eh? Laughing

Look at else has been turned into anime: Tom Sawyer; Swiss Family Robinson; Peter Pan. I think I'll stick with the original novels.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7