• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Light Novel Contest Overwhelmed with Alternate World Entries

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
"Doing My Best to Pet Fluffy Things in an Alternate World." would read.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"The Chronicle of the Male Virgin Who Travels to the Alternate World Chiirem [cheat + harem] and Gains Healing Magic."

Gee, I wonder what this one's about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

I missed the chance to submit my new story: "An alternate world where webnovels aren't shit"
Treeborn

Яeverse wrote:

That too caught my attention. Still, if I were made to sit down and read from entries from one contest, I would choose to read material from the contest that banned alternate worlds. Right off the bat I know I would be exposing myself to a broader selection.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you never know with LN's, but I'm pretty sure half of these are jokes. Stuff like "This Alternate World's Magical Language Looks Just Like Japanese" cannot be serious.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So, how to interpret this? The cynical "They only write alternate world stories because that's what sells these days" or the more positive "they love alternate world stories and wanted to write one of their own."
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
mentioning some of the titles, ANN wrote:
"Alternate World Brothel Manager,"

Not sure it author is grasping at straws for attention and publicity, or meta-remark on the abundant [harem] tag that usually comes with most LNs of this theme Confused

Also, personally, I don't think that SAO is a "travel to a alternate world" series, due to its VR settings, which, by the way, rose and was subsequently smothered by all the [alternate world] titles. While I do think that its popularity was one of the reasons that this all type of LN started, it is part of a niche sub-genre.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I want to joke against such plots but then I remember how many of them I'm enjoying to bits and well, damn.
Re:Zero, KonoSuba, Grimgar, Overlord, Hataraku Maou-sama...
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
These got damn kids these days with their alternate world stories.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's better than the magic school harem stuff, I mean talk about 85% of bad LNs that fall in that category, where there are some good alternate world fantasy LNs, GATE was good, Outbreak Company was decent despite the dated art, Dog Days while an anime original at first that got LNs was great to the point that I have all 3 seasons on BD, it's just the uber popular ones that are really bad.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So, how to interpret this? The cynical "They only write alternate world stories because that's what sells these days" or the more positive "they love alternate world stories and wanted to write one of their own."

People are not very creative irregardless of their intentions. It's hard to be original.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

If I was a judge I would have chosen that as the winner based off the title alone.

On another note, if contests can ban alternate world entries, can they ban entries from having a freaking long sentence as their title? It's supposed to be a title, not a brief summary of the written work. It's kind of funny at times but the sheer number of sentence-title series is getting ridiculous.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
On another note, if contests can ban alternate world entries, can they ban entries from having a freaking long sentence as their title? It's supposed to be a title, not a brief summary of the written work. It's kind of funny at times but the sheer number of sentence-title series is getting ridiculous.

As far as I know, those are encouraged by editors and publishers to gain notoriety. Writers are just following the trend since stuff like "The secret of the blue witch" won't be noticed or liked nowadays.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes the same concepts get used over and over, but that happens with any show. The moe shows with the all girl cast and yuri teasing like K On, there are at least handful of those every year, we already got one this season, the one about the gaming or anime company. What about SJ, Hero Academia is close to generic SJ work as I have seen, I mean if you told me the writer was really Kishimoto, I would be like okay makes sense. I mean honestly the number of works that you could say have any originality at all a year are maybe one or two, so its kind of moot to single out alternative/magic school because you just happen to not like that genre.

If that is what people want to write and what people buy so be it.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'd rather have more isekai stuff like Konosuba, Re:zero, Grimgar instead of some forgettable magical school harem we get each season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3