Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Orange


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11726
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite series for Summer.Strong realism with decent character relationships. The pacing is somewhat slow but they are adapting a lot from the content it has. Definitely enjoyable imo for anyone.

Can't wait to see how far they take the story as there's a lot of potential in the upcoming episodes if they do it right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4948
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
This show is indeed the kind of slice of life/drama anime I enjoy the most. The first three episodes have been solid, but I am not as invested emotionally and intellectually as I hoped. Perhaps the premise of trying to change the future is not working for me. Regardless, I plan to watch the rest of the series, and I hope I grow to enjoy it more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Valhern



Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 916
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm having quite the trouble following Orange, because I usually feel that the story feels a little...artificial? Of course it's fiction and it's not real, but I've got this constant feeling of awkwardness.

And sadly, it's mostly from the premise. In three episodes, we still have no hint in how the future MC manages to send a letter through time, and inserting some sci-fi/supernatural element by the end of it to make it more surprising doesn't sound like a good idea. There's also the possibility that there is no real time travel, but there is no real hint towards that.

Then there is the letter. Problem is, this is a critic plot point in the story, and that is already pretty contrived: the MC only reads what's convenient and will or will not do what's convenient. And let's be real, we all knew that she was not going to read the message in her eraser (also it's way too convenient that Kakeru doesn't tell her to check on it, of course she won't notice it), and we all knew she was not going to make it, especially foretold by her saying two or three times "I can change the future" when the possibility of Kakeru (it's the only name I can remember) and his senpai hooking up is brought up. If time travelling letter was not involved, I'm sure this scene would be actually more heartwrenching.

This sort of happens in the first episode too, except for the softball part, we didn't know how that would went yet for now it seems unrelevant.

In episode 2 I was genuinely interested in the series, the whole thing about making lunch and stuff was pretty neat, the same going for Kakeru getting into the football team. And now episode 3 kind of broke my suspension of desbelief, but I'm wiling to keep giving this anime a chance to improve on it's roughest edges.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaggedAuthor



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 981
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda miffed at Kakeru after seeing what went down in the third episode. (Then again, maybe I'm supposed to be.) Despite being at least somewhat aware of Naho's feelings and having no real intent of reciprocation, he thinks requesting daily five a.m.wake-up calls on top of having her make his lunches is reasonable? Maybe set a few extra alarms? Maybe program your phone to make these calls on its own? Maybe ask someone else on the damn soccer team - y'know, someone who'd be up at that time anyway? I know Naho volunteered to make the lunches, and the fact that she likes Kakeru doesn't mean he's under any obligation to return her feelings, but it definitely feels like he's taking advantage of the situation. Even if they were in a relationship, there would already be disproportionate levels of give-and-take that skewed sharply in his favor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Videogamep



Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Posts: 564
Location: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I can see why Hamasaki was chosen to direct this. The plot's already vaguely similar to Steins;Gate, but with a less urgent and more character focused feel.

Valhern wrote:

And sadly, it's mostly from the premise. In three episodes, we still have no hint in how the future MC manages to send a letter through time, and inserting some sci-fi/supernatural element by the end of it to make it more surprising doesn't sound like a good idea. There's also the possibility that there is no real time travel, but there is no real hint towards that.


That just doesn't seem like much of an issue. The exact mechanics of the letter aren't hugely important (as long as it isn't something stupid) and can probably be explained in one short scene. I'm guessing the scenes of future Naho at the end of each episode are leading up to her sending the letter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1689
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda worried. Twenty-six year old Naho is married to Suwa in the future. Sixteen year old Naho doesn't know this. So if she's trying to change things, does that mean the future we saw will never happen???

Last edited by Animechic420 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saekirei



Joined: 18 Jul 2016
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader, the anime so far, and this episode especially has been doing a great job of adapting!

I picked up the manga way back in 2011 when it only had a couple chapters out, and have reread it countless times; I'm glad that the anime is not just doing a panel-by-panel faithful adaptation, but experimenting with framing, dialogue, and the sequence of events for optimal impact in the format spoiler[(ex. some of the scene of the future are put in at slightly different points in the manga than in the anime.)]

Imho, the anime has really brought the characters to life in its own unique way, and I feel like I'm getting more out of the series by watching the anime even though I know everything that's going to happen.

I've also seen some complaints about how Naho reads the letter in only chunks and not all at once; first of all, this was never an issue or complaint when the manga was coming out, so I wonder if it just wasn't as noticeable in the manga format. Second of all, spoiler[she does explain it later in the manga. In a couple chapters after she reads a particular entry she thinks "What does that mean... prevent Kakeru's accident? Wouldn't that be something I could do once I know the date and time? Maybe I should read ahead, then I'd know when the accident will happen. Usually, I only read that day's page to keep from getting confused, but looking ahead just this once can't hurt, can it?" So yeah, we probably should've gotten an explanation sooner but there is one.]

Another complaint is that they haven't explained the time travel. spoiler[That does get explained, so hopefully that will satisfy those watchers when it does,] but perhaps people just need to realize this is more of a character drama than a sci-fi story, so going in with those kind of expectations is going to set yourself up for disappointment. I personally like it unexplained, as it puts you in a similar mindset as 16yr old Naho: she doesn't know how it happened and is confused about the consequences of her actions. If we knew everything it would be harder to relate to her emotional state.

Overall, I'm excited to see the rest of this adaptation! Bring on the tears!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valhern



Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 916
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Saekirei wrote:
Another complaint is that they haven't explained the time travel. spoiler[That does get explained, so hopefully that will satisfy those watchers when it does,] but perhaps people just need to realize this is more of a character drama than a sci-fi story, so going in with those kind of expectations is going to set yourself up for disappointment. I personally like it unexplained, as it puts you in a similar mindset as 16yr old Naho: she doesn't know how it happened and is confused about the consequences of her actions. If we knew everything it would be harder to relate to her emotional state.

Overall, I'm excited to see the rest of this adaptation! Bring on the tears!


I know this is not a sci-fi or fantasy story, and I never pretended it to be. But it does include a sci-fi element, and it's not just a minor element, it's basically part of the premise, that's why it feels very jarring to me to be 3 episodes in and still have no idea what exactly kicked the plot forward. I hope the explanation ties in together all the episodes that do not take the time travel aspect as a focus, otherwise it'd make the premise very shaky.

And about the letter, for example, she could have recieved a letter each day, and all the future self is allowed to write is what will happen that day. That alone solves the convenience problem (and it's a little weird that she can't read it in full first, then read one per one as the days go on), while also hinting for a future revelation. After that, you may not adress time travel in any way or only give small hint as details, and dive full into the drama, because your premise is more solid and believable, and your readers will be surprised when they find out about the last revelation because "it all makes sense!" This is only what I would have done, though, as you say in your post there is likely a reason why the letter was sent in full, supposed to make her read ahead for whatever reason, let's see how that goes.

Of course, I'm talking out of not knowing how this series ultimately ends, and in no way I'm hoping to be right about my assumptions, I want Orange to be good and like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I want to feel the vibe of drama here, I really do, but when the lead MC, who basically have a guideline for the rest of the year, reads it like some kind of a horoscope the evening before, it makes a few of the scenes fall flat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1945
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Even if they were in a relationship, there would already be disproportionate levels of give-and-take that skewed sharply in his favor.


I agree that relationships/friendships only work in the long run if there's about the same level of give and take on both sides , but i disagree that it needs to be balanced at all times.

Sometimes you are more on the giving, other times more on the taking side and i don't think Kakeru is able to give all that much in his current situation...which brings me to my only "complaint" about this series - the manga is very dear to my heart and really affected me on an emotional level for very personal reasons - but i would have liked to get spoiler[Kakeru's perspective a bit sooner. In the manga at least, we only get to see his side of things very late into the story and that might make it difficult for some people to empathize with him ( especially if they are not very familiar with depression) since he's pretty good at hiding his true emotions,.]
It's not really much of a spoiler but i'm rather safe than sorry...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
JaggedAuthor



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 981
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I agree that relationships/friendships only work in the long run if there's about the same level of give and take on both sides , but i disagree that it needs to be balanced at all times.


I don't think a meticulous 50/50 balance needs to be maintained at all times, and attempting to do so can be very damaging to a relationship. However, I also feel that if Naho and Kakeru were to enter into a relationship at this juncture, it would be on extremely uneven terms. She's essentially given him the impression that treating her like a doormat is okay - and that her time and energy are his for the taking. In this kind of relationship, the party that puts in all the effort is practically guaranteed to become resentful at some point.

And I agree - Kakeru really doesn't have much to give at this point. I just think he should have the courtesy not to make continued demands on Naho's time, especially if he has no intention of returning her feelings. I mean, he had her commit to daily five a.m. wake-up calls right before going out with someone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2108
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it was because I watched the film first, but Azu is vicious, man.

Valhern wrote:
In episode 2 I was genuinely interested in the series, the whole thing about making lunch and stuff was pretty neat, the same going for Kakeru getting into the football team. And now episode 3 kind of broke my suspension of desbelief, but I'm wiling to keep giving this anime a chance to improve on it's roughest edges.

You should. At some point you move on from the hows and whys and just focus on the story that's presented..Ep 3 was actually sowing a few seeds for developments that come up later. They aren't terribly important overall, but they help lift the narrative beyond a silly love story. Having seen this play out once, it's nice to spot the clues and see how they start to evolve.

As for the method of letter writing, I feel tense when I have a fully planned-out schedule for two weeks, let alone eight months. Reading the letter piecemeal is probably the best way to keep sane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AholePony



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 326
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think its kinda messed up, knowing her 16yr old feelings, that future Naho who is married and has a kid..... seems to want her past self to hook up with her missed-opportunity crush? Unless they show me some hint that her future self is a victim of domestic violence, I feel it's destroying my ability to care if 16yr old Naho gets her feelings hurt. I feel worse for her husband at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chichiryuutei





PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Orange is great. I couldn't wait for the anime so I looked for the manga and noticed Crunchyroll had it in its catalog. What a great read (so short too at 22 letters/chapters)! Let's just say that you'll be crying a lot. The story will be explained as things progress but the one thing you'll be able to walk away with is admiration for the characters (Naho/Suwa really take the cake here) and a better understanding of depression and its effects on life.

I don't want to spoil anything but I'll say this... To me the story is a mix of Steins;Gate and White Album 2. S;G is my fav story so far and WA2 is probably the most gut-wrenching story I have ever seen (Also a fav. I still cry just hearing the OP/ED/Music). So if you like those 2 and/or your lie in april, you'll enjoy this sweet/bitter/complicated story.
Back to top
Chichiryuutei





PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Anyone else think its kinda messed up, knowing her 16yr old feelings, that future Naho who is married and has a kid..... seems to want her past self to hook up with her missed-opportunity crush? Unless they show me some hint that her future self is a victim of domestic violence, I feel it's destroying my ability to care if 16yr old Naho gets her feelings hurt. I feel worse for her husband at this point.


I disagree. I have known many people (aunts/uncles, dads/moms of friends/girlfriends) who wished they had a 2nd chance at life with someone else because it wasn't either the right time or situation for them to go out. The saddest part is seen people who just settle for the next option because the one they wanted (and wanted them back) couldn't work out.

Trust me, I have seen moms looking in the night sky remembering their good times with the "ONE" (some had kids with this "one" [and had kids with their current love one] and others didn'tWink. That doesn't mean that they hate/dislike the person that they're with right now but at their core they know that they regret not having that opportunity to see that romance to the end. Think "Cast Away" Chuck & Kelly loved each other (soulmate/one/w/e) but time & space separated them and they could never go back. Another good one is White Album 2.

So try to not be as harsh. There's more to loving someone more than just been physically/etc abuse by your current lover. Sometimes the heart just can't get or won't give you what it wants.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group