• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Blue Exorcist Mangaka Kazue Kato [2016-07-22]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Great interview, it really gave a sense of her personality and didn't feel like she was giving canned answers. She seems very sweet and genuine, which makes me happy for her success.
Interesting tidbit about the main story arc being half done. Sounds about right.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For me, my favorite character in Blue Exorcist is Kuro, the cat!

Ouch, that felt weird. Kinda like saying the chocobos were my favorite character from Final Fantasy XII
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Wrong. The best character is Yukio. He's waaay too hott.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
After reading the answers to the questions posed, I'm now 100 per cent certain that she's an absolute sweetheart, and a mangaka that I definitely want to spend a lot more time supporting. I loved her wide variety of styles present in Time Killers, and would be very interested in seeing what she could do with a Zootopia style of story. While I don't want Blue Exorcist to just end any time soon, I'm actually really excited about future projects that she may decide to work on.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I hope this doesn't sound rude because everyone can have whatever favorite character, but it felt kind of weird to say your fave was Kuro -who is effectively a mascot character- soon after discussing how she creates complex and layered characters. Which is not to say that I don't love Kuro, he stands out among other mascot characters for being cute, funny and relevant to the story, and his introduction chapter was very beautiful. That particular moment kind of felt like the interviewer just wanted a reason to show her plushie.

Other than that it's a great interview, I like that it's so long. Kato does sound really sincere and authentic, her answers don't feel like the usual kind of forced or fabricated type you get from people in the industry. It's also great that she's given a relative timeframe for the manga, I'm up to date with it and I don't see any ending on site, so it's exciting to know we're kind of halfway through. It's also very encouraging to see a female mangaka being so successful in the shonen genre, and to see her so enthusiastic about her work even if she's been doing it for so many years.

One thing I would've liked to know is why "Blue". Like why did she decide blue would be the color of Satan's flames and everything, (if that's something that belongs to some folkloric mythos or something along those lines). Something I love about her art is that all the colorings she does have this kind of beautiful blueish hue, I've always wondered if it's on purpose because of the title or if it's just a color she likes to use regardless of anything else.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I have been a fan of Blue Exorcist since it originally came out in Japan, back when the only way to read it was through scanlations. It's always nice to say that you've been a fan of the work more or less from the beginning.

Nice interview. The one thing about her I could never understand is that despite drawing so well, the way she writes her name isn't stylistic in the least, and looks as if a six year old scribbled it. That was the one thing that surprised me when I bought one of her sketches many years ago.
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. In defense of Kuro, in the anime it was episode 10, the episode that they introduced the cat, that hooked me on the show. The manga makes me smile.

I appreciate that she promoted gin no saji/Silver Spoon. Somebody in the States needs to license that manga, too.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blue Exorcist manga, which is currently featured in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine

Blue Exorcist is NOT in weekly Shonen jump. it's in Jump SQ
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Quote:
Blue Exorcist manga, which is currently featured in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine

Blue Exorcist is NOT in weekly Shonen jump. it's in Jump SQ

The article is referring to the English Weekly Shonen Jump, in which it does serialise.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't realize there's so many Americans who are into Japanese anime

Welcome to our Japan-obsessed nation, Miss Kato! :D

CrowLia wrote:
One thing I would've liked to know is why "Blue". Like why did she decide blue would be the color of Satan's flames and everything, (if that's something that belongs to some folkloric mythos or something along those lines). Something I love about her art is that all the colorings she does have this kind of beautiful blueish hue, I've always wondered if it's on purpose because of the title or if it's just a color she likes to use regardless of anything else.

I read somewhere that blue flames are a sign of purification, so anything that's burned by blue fire is having its soul purified (the dragons in Dragon Century all had blue fire breath since their job was to eradicate demons).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1