• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Dimension Fortress Macross Begins English-Subtitled Streaming on Amazon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh poopmuffins. I wouldn't mind watching this honestly I guess I can't now. Confused
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this is quite unexpected. If Do You Remember Love should by some miracle become available as well, a large number of hats would be dined upon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BIN-F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it the HD remaster?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:
Is it the HD remaster?

No. Harmony Gold has no way to get access to that at this point. They burned those bridges long ago. The old masters they already have are all we'll ever see from them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Now, if HG would allow for the other series to get licensed.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
BIN-F wrote:
Is it the HD remaster?

No. Harmony Gold has no way to get access to that at this point. They burned those bridges long ago. The old masters they already have are all we'll ever see from them.

This is why the show has been heavily pirated in its fan subbed form. Harmony Gold is frankly missing out on a potential goldmine by being so stingy with Macross.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
supporting this,even if it's the original Macross series,still counts as supporting the embargo the rest of the Macross franchise has been suffering in the west all these decades,so fudge off,HG...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
They should just put advertisements on it and stream it for free on Hulu or Crunchyroll. But all right, one step forward, at least.

I already secured the series a while back when AnimEigo put out their remastered (sub only) set.

HG is sitting on a gold mine, it's about time they take advantage of it. Plenty of people want Macross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kaibrightwing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
For me robotech was OK, but after watching all of the macross series. macross will always be better than robotech for me.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Delta's in-universe musical group is topping the music sales chart.HG is looking at that and saying 'I'd rather stick t the three shows we glued together rather than making fans happy and becoming rich."

Frankly I don't want HG to even touch any more Macross. hands off.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Well this is quite unexpected. If Do You Remember Love should by some miracle become available as well, a large number of hats would be dined upon.

It would go nicely with our ice-cold Frozen Hell Smoothie, to enjoy while watching ducks sing "Mammy". Confused

However, it looks like Lionsgate bought Robotech from Harming Gold, which includes the same rights to the first series that ADV had to negotiate. Although ADV still owns their dub, so LG gets to air only the Macross sub with the Robotech dub.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Although ADV still owns their dub, so LG gets to air only the Macross sub with the Robotech dub.
For a company so . . . stingy? . . . it's odd that they'd let ADV own the rights to the SDF Macross dub. I would have guessed that the rights to the dub reverted back to HGUSA the same way most modern dubs are the property of the Japanese companies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Although ADV still owns their dub, so LG gets to air only the Macross sub with the Robotech dub.
For a company so . . . stingy? . . . it's odd that they'd let ADV own the rights to the SDF Macross dub. I would have guessed that the rights to the dub reverted back to HGUSA the same way most modern dubs are the property of the Japanese companies.

To be fair, though, ADV's dub was pretty... uh, blah. The novelty of Minmay's Japanese voice being her in the English dub wore off about an episode into it, and even Monica Rial was somehow lacking (that hurts me to type).

It doesn't surprise me. Nothing in the Macross franchise has ever been dubbed particularly well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It doesn't surprise me. Nothing in the Macross franchise has ever been dubbed particularly well.

And yet, it certainly could be dubbed well if they could get just the right cast for it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

HG is sitting on a gold mine, it's about time they take advantage of it. Plenty of people want Macross.

HG is sitting on jack squat. They can't do ANYTHING with MACROSS except broadcast a dvd-era quality version of the series. That is it. No high definition, no blu-rays no nothing. The gravy train stops there in dvd land.
Harmony Shit is never going to make any money on Macross because the Japanese (rightly so) won't let them. HG can't even monetise Robotech. Do you see Robotech in high definition ? No. Do you see a live action film based on Robotech (ha hahahahahaha) no. For all intents and purposes HG is a dead man walking when it comes to Robotech/Macross.

People that want Macross are divided in 3 categories :

Those crazy enough to spend japanese amount of money for the anime
Those sensible enough to pirate the shows
Those few (or maybe not so few) unlucky bastards that wish a localized english version of the different post-SDF Macross series/films/ovas existed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2