• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: World Trigger's Border Units Inspire Hoodies & Scarfs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It's bad how the popularity of this franchise is SO LOW when is ashonen that avoids most of the well known shonen cliches. But at least this gives it some recognition. Also, in which store are these going to be sold? I want one
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm just sad that this is not a new season update....
And even more sad over how expensive Japanese merch is, geez
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
It's bad how the popularity of this franchise is SO LOW when is ashonen that avoids most of the well known shonen cliches. But at least this gives it some recognition. Also, in which store are these going to be sold? I want one

The manga's doing just fine in the rankings though, the author's ill health notwithstanding. I personally find it interesting World Trigger can get merchandise like this when the anime outright flopped.

Fenrin wrote:

Yeah, for once this is something I'd like to get if I find it somewhere. It's pretty subtle.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
People keep talking about how it isn't popular but it gained plenty of traction in Japan... More merch gets made because people keep buying it, particularly among the female fanbase. The mobile game has over a million downloads, and it updates regularly to add characters and outfits, so there's always something to promote alongside the manga. The anime too, got extended past its initial 50 episode run. It was ended because the channel was doing something new with its timeslot and it got dangerously close to completely catching up to the source material. I hope that once it's a few more arcs ahead it'll catch on in the west, like how One Piece's popularity over here lagged behind Bleach and Naruto but gradually clawed its way up. spoiler[Already seems to be starting since the manga is trending more on the popular manga aggregate sites.] On topic though, I definitely want that Tamakoma hoodie, and I don't even like that shade of blue.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

The manga's doing just fine in the rankings though, the author's ill health notwithstanding. I personally find it interesting World Trigger can get merchandise like this when the anime outright flopped.

Fenrin wrote:

Yeah, for once this is something I'd like to get if I find it somewhere. It's pretty subtle.

What are you talking about, the anime didn't flop at all. It just got way too close to the manga despite having a filler so Toei ended it with several cliffhangers, it seems pretty obvious that they're come back to it again once they have enough material.

Not to mention that the show still gets anime artwork in magazines to this day, it's doing fine.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
I agree that the popularity hasn't been AS bad as a lot of people have been saying, but I recall someone mentioning bad dvd sales and it is a little suspicious when at the end of the last episode they said something along the lines of 'keep supporting the series and there *might* be a new season in the future!' It didn't leave us with a lot of confidence and people were just like 'well that's it then'.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I agree that the popularity hasn't been AS bad as a lot of people have been saying, but I recall someone mentioning bad dvd sales and it is a little suspicious when at the end of the last episode they said something along the lines of 'keep supporting the series and there *might* be a new season in the future!' It didn't leave us with a lot of confidence and people were just like 'well that's it then'.

Well this type of shows dont really sell that well with bd-dvd best to see how its doin with the manga and there its selling quite good. And the reason why it ended so suddenly is because the anime was getting really close to the source material and they were loosing they slot at the tv due some sports stuff so they to make a choice either buy again another time slot or simply stop it at this point since they were runnin out of material anyway.
Personnaly i expect the anime to return within the next year or perhaps 2 depends how much material they want, it is well enough popular to get more and the story is also gettin better and better.
Zimba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
These look nice and comfy.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

Fenrin wrote:

Quote:

What I mean is, that other shonen series have big online communities and lots of people commenting and talking about them(be it good, bad, or "X is the most cliche shonen that I´ve read") but this series, that has no Power of friendship, no power-ups without explanation and the battles so far have been so far about strategy rather than power scales, no one is talking about it. And there are even some people who say it´s the worst just because.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Fenrin wrote:

Well this type of shows dont really sell that well with bd-dvd best to see how its doin with the manga and there its selling quite good. And the reason why it ended so suddenly is because the anime was getting really close to the source material and they were loosing they slot at the tv due some sports stuff so they to make a choice either buy again another time slot or simply stop it at this point since they were runnin out of material anyway.
Personnaly i expect the anime to return within the next year or perhaps 2 depends how much material they want, it is well enough popular to get more and the story is also gettin better and better.

All right then. I see people slamming the anime left and right, so I figured it was unpopular. If it WAS popular then, that's good because I like World Trigger.

SkerllyF wrote:
What I mean is, that other shonen series have big online communities and lots of people commenting and talking about them(be it good, bad, or "X is the most cliche shonen that I´ve read") but this series, that has no Power of friendship, no power-ups without explanation and the battles so far have been so far about strategy rather than power scales, no one is talking about it. And there are even some people who say it´s the worst just because.

The fact that it can remain in Weekly Shonen Jump for well over a hundred chapters now says that World Trigger is at least popular enough to remain in the magazine. I reckon it's one of those quiet fandoms, or isolated, secluded ones.

I noticed something similar with Criminal Minds. The police procedural show has been able to crack the top 10 most highly-viewed shows on US television for the past 9 years whenever new episodes air, but you're never going to find its fans online unless you're actively searching for them. Turns out they're there. They just keep to themselves, and so other people rarely notice them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
One of the problems was that the anime started out with absolutely dumpster-level animation and padding, and way too much duck-face, which sent a lot of people packing before it finally started to improve. I think most of those people never came back.

But yeah, I really like those hoodies and scarves. If they weren't so expensive...
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking the hoodies. And from reading other comments in the thread, it's nice to see that World Trigger has gained some traction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1