• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director of Netflix's Death Note Film Discusses Film's Violence

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
The film has a lot going for it and i don´t mind them bringing out the inherent darkness in the source material, that was never properly addressed, but i hope they know what they are doing. Death Note is a teen targeted property that is less offensive that an average CSI episode.

Their 2nd season of Daredevil had extreme gore (close-ups of bursting heads) and the very original Miller comics were teen targeted, so i will keep an open mind.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
Death Note never needed swearing or nudity. Violence, though, yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
At this point, anything I read about the Death Note Netflix movie sounds wrong to me. It could be that I am biased....or that everything they are saying is wrong.

Either way, I'll hold back on bashing it (or not) until I actually see the final product.

Those filming shots a while back were anything but encouraging though...gonna stick to that.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When Collider asked him how the lack of a rating system on Netflix might affect the violence and gore in the film, Wingard replied by saying that "we can do whatever we want." He then labeled anime as adult-oriented, citing an anecdote of seeing a "Not for Kids" sticker on a copy of Akira at a Suncoast video store, and likened the experience of working on the Death Note film as working on a "live-action anime." Wingard also said he is committed to preserving the adult themes in the film, noting that the film has nudity, swearing, and "a ton of violence."

Wingard also mentioned director Jason Eisener (Hobo With a Shotgun) as a second-unit director for the film. Wingard said that the Death Note film has "basically like three good Jason Eisener short films in there and they're all very gory."

Wingard ended the interview by saying, "I think we ended up with a really, kind of nasty and crazy film."

Adam Wingard don't seem to know what Death Note is about.
I hope he understand that the anime/manga was in shonen demography so was teenage-oriented.
Akira was really "Not for Kids" because was seinen.

Let's see what is coming out of this.
Comparing Death Note with Jason Eisener films don't make my hopes too high.

But if people want to watch a good Death Note live action movie there is a good one already from people that know what Death Note is about ( Death Note (2006 film) )
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:26 am; edited 3 times in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wingard also said he is committed to preserving the adult themes in the film, noting that the film has nudity, swearing, and "a ton of violence."

Except that's not in the nature of Death Note at all. Death Note was actually rather clean considering its mature themes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
He makes is sound like a slasher film. I always viewed Death Note as a physiological thriller.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly pretty excited to see this film. I don't care if they stray from the source material a bit, as long as it's good. It doesn't have to be 1:1 at all.

The only part that worries me is the emphasis on violence here.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Doc wrote:
He makes is sound like a slasher film. I always viewed Death Note as a physiological thriller.

The movie will probably be 80% people dying in the most gruesome way and 20% some plot.
Something like 1000 Ways to Die television series meets one psychological thriller anime/manga,

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'm very concerned about the nudity part, Misa does get or almost get sexually assaulted do we really need some A-hole sweezing her exposed breast well taking her from behind. Although it would be sweet seeing her take her ravage with her Death Note.

Are would they add a scene of Light having sex with Misa to keep her happy? Maybe they will give the Shinigami genitalia. It all seems silly. Rolling Eyes

If it's over top hopefully the people at Netflix are paying attention. If this many people don't what pointless nudity or anything else they don't like hearing in a Death Note movie then they all should e-mail Netflix about it well there is still time to make changes.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

Those filming shots a while back were anything but encouraging though...gonna stick to that.

Where?

Also, as long as Nat [expletive] Wolff is still playing Light there's no hope for this film. Such a misscast. Light is meant to be charismatic and handsome. Wolff... isn't.

ReifuTD wrote:
I'm very concerned about the nudity part, Misa does get or almost get sexually assaulted do we really need some A-hole sweezing her exposed breast well taking her from behind. Although it would be sweet seeing her take her ravage with her Death Note.

Are would they add a scene of Light having sex with Misa to keep her happy? Maybe they will give the Shinigami genitalia. It all seems silly. Rolling Eyes

If it's over top hopefully the people at Netflix are paying attention. If this many people don't what pointless nudity or anything else they don't like hearing in a Death Note movie then they all should e-mail Netflix about it well there is still time to make changes.

I won't mind a sex scene, but NOT a one with Nat Wolff in it. Just the thought os seeing his naked ass could give me nightmares.

Combined double posts. --willag
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Oh no! Not another person who thinks anime = sex, violence, swearing! Honestly, I wonder if this guy has even seen Death Note much less any anime. He said he saw Akira in a rental place but did he even actually watch it?! Even if he did, it's probably the only anime he's ever seen. God help us! Is there anyone in Hollywood who has REALLY watched anime and understood why it's really good? Reminds me of that Starz documentary which basically concluded that anime is all sex and violence. Ugh!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
Netflix - Where we can have sex and violence. Suck it CW!

Come on, this is not worthy of a freak out.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
I don't understand. Death Note was never about violence...it was more of psychological. This man is setting up this movie to be FAR from the orginal material and all that made Death Note the great series that it is IN MY OPINION. I just feel worried that this will once again put anime in a bad spotlight. Death Note is a unique series and they're just making it into another thriller movie with violence and stuff. I know I should watch before judging but after receiving this much information about the movie I'm starting to lose faith in it.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
That "Blair Witch" sequel was absolute crap. Let's hope the director won't taint the "Death Note" legacy for hardcore fans like myself, my friends & others.
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
That "Blair Witch" sequel was absolute crap. Let's hope the director won't taint the "Death Note" legacy for hardcore fans like myself, my friends & others.

Or we can give it the Tsukihime treatment. Twisted Evil It never happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5