• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Haikyu!! 3rd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
So where is their release of s2?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

You do realize that season 2 just finished a little over six months ago, right?
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay so excited! Now if they'd only dub it in English! (Even if it's terrible, it would still be great). Sentai Filmworks keeps saying that if people want them to dub it, then they need people to show them the momentum. It seems like there is plenty of hype, so for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This show is waaaaay too popular to not have an English dub. Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Yay so excited! Now if they'd only dub it in English! (Even if it's terrible, it would still be great).

No. A crappy dub would still be terrible.

Quote:
This show is waaaaay too popular to not have an English dub. Very Happy

Says who? The show is definitely popular in Japan. But it is still a sports, niche show, and historically those kind of shows have been hard to sell in North America.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Yay so excited! Now if they'd only dub it in English! (Even if it's terrible, it would still be great).

Quote:

Says who? The show is definitely popular in Japan. But it is still a sports, niche show, and historically those kind of shows have been hard to sell in North America.

Explain why all out is getting a dub?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Quote:

Sports shows were "niche" way back when but they've been getting a larger following since Free came out. This show and Kuroko's Basketball (which Funnyroll will probably also dub) are incredibly popular with the mainstream crowd. I would LOVE for this show to get a dub (Greg Ayres would be perfect for Hinata, and maybe have David Matranga play Kageyama), and it probably should since Sentai usually dubs subbed shows that sold well. Not to mention it's a WSJ show.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

You do realize that season 2 just finished a little over six months ago, right?

You do realize he's talking about the localized release of Season 2 in the west right?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Explain why all out is getting a dub?

I am not saying that sports animes are never dubbed, but companies are very selective about which titles they dub.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Quote:

Sports shows were "niche" way back when but they've been getting a larger following since Free came out.

I hear the sports don't sell in the US but the test case people always bring up is Hikaru no Go flopping. A show about Chinese checkers (which ain't even a sport) flopped in the US and that got interpreted as no sports show could possibly succeed in the US.

Anyways, I'm just glad people have officially thrown that line of thought in the trash can and now sports shows can get licensed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I hear the sports don't sell in the US but the test case people always bring up is Hikaru no Go flopping. A show about Chinese checkers (which ain't even a sport) flopped in the US and that got interpreted as no sports show could possibly succeed in the US.

Anyways, I'm just glad people have officially thrown that line of thought in the trash can and now sports shows can get licensed.

The first season of Big Windup was dubbed by Funimation, and according to some disc sales bombed. And I am sure people buy sports anime in N.A., but my argument is that not enough people buy to justify the extra expense of producing dubs.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

You do realize he's talking about the localized release of Season 2 in the west right?

I'm sure he's well aware.
However, the point he was trying to make is, the final JP volume (vol. 9) of S2 was just released last month (9/14), it'll take at least 6 months after that as that's the general rule of thumb for turn around time between ENG release and the final JP release.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Chinese checkers? Clearly you have never watched the show, otherwise you would know that Go is far more advanced than that, and if Chess is classified as a sport, so is Go.

Not surprised that it didn't appeal to the mainstream crowd in the West, despite it being an amazing series. Seems that the only game anime like Bakugan, Beyblade, Yugioh etc. where there are monsters and merchandising opportunities do well over here.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

I'm sure he's well aware.
However, the point he was trying to make is, the final JP volume (vol. 9) of S2 was just released last month (9/14), it'll take at least 6 months after that as that's the general rule of thumb for turn around time between ENG release and the final JP release.

Thank you. That was exactly my point. It's extremely rare for a show to be release this close to the Japanese release. There have been a few instances of it, such as Persona 4, but there were usually special circumstances to them, such as coinciding with a game release or being an import release, and often there would be trade offs, such as Peronsa 4's blurays not having the Japanese track or only the DVD coming out at first.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
HikariGo wrote:
Quote:

Chinese checkers? Clearly you have never watched the show, otherwise you would know that Go is far more advanced than that, and if Chess is classified as a sport, so is Go.

Not surprised that it didn't appeal to the mainstream crowd in the West, despite it being an amazing series. Seems that the only game anime like Bakugan, Beyblade, Yugioh etc. where there are monsters and merchandising opportunities do well over here.

This. Not to mention the fact that how it was being released did it no favors. Boxsets were becoming increasingly popular, but Viz decided to release it per disc with each one only having 4 episodes on it. That may have been fine for shorter series, but Hikaru no Go isn't short. I adore the show, but even I couldn't afford to buy a 75 episode series like that! It didn't help that the dub wasn't terribly well received, either. So a lot of fans kept watching the old fansubs and hoping for a more affordable release to come along, which, obviously, hurt sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1