• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Earns 14.56 Billion Yen to Top Last Samurai, E.T. in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNaGem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, I need to see this movie. Give me a wide US release or a Blu-Ray or something, I just wanna see it!
#Satou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Also beats the record for the most annoying anime news.
oFFoy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
When does this blu-ray? Can't wait to see it.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This train really isn't stopping. Going for 20 billion.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I love how this is like successful Hollywood blockbuster levels of money now. I hope it hits 20 billion!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen this yet, but I'm 80% sure it's just OK, and just getting a lot of hype
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Haven't seen this yet, but I'm 80% sure it's just OK, and just getting a lot of hype

Thanks for sharing. We were eagerly waiting to know your opinion regarding this film.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Thanks for sharing. We were eagerly waiting to know your opinion regarding this film.

Wow these sort of comments are annoying. You understand this is a place for people to post comments and opinions, right?
scriver058

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
How can you have an 80% opinion on something you haven't seen yet? It just sounds like backpacker hate for something with super mainstream popularity.

Always been a big fan of Shinkai, eagerly await a legit way of seeing this.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
How can you have an 80% opinion on something you haven't seen yet? It just sounds like backpacker hate for something with super mainstream popularity.

1. I have an opinion on the PVs I've seen. That's what PVs are for. That is their purpose. I didn't give a review on the entire movie or anything.

2. My assumption is that the movie is OK. Since when is OK a bad thing?
endallchaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
scriver058 wrote:

1. I have an opinion on the PVs I've seen. That's what PVs are for. That is their purpose. I didn't give a review on the entire movie or anything.

2. My assumption is that the movie is OK. Since when is OK a bad thing?

I enjoyed the film more that I thought I would, based on the trailer. It's definitely better than the trailer leads you to believe. I do have to say, though. When you end up watching the movie, try not going in thinking it's going to just be OK, because then it will probably will end up being okay, since you would have already set your mind that way. Try going in with an open mind. Smile

To be fair, though. It's not my favorite film by Shinkai.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not at all a fan of Shinkai's works, and I can't help but wonder if the explosive popularity of this film is a little bit of a fad, mixed in with a message that might be resonating with modern-day Japanese people (?), than any sort of reflection on the quality of the film itself (which I've mostly heard people enjoy, but not to a level that would seem to precipitate this sort of box office response). I look forward to hearing more critical reviews on the film in the future though, to see if it's worth watching (since I still personally find the premise a bit eyeroll-inducing).
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:

I enjoyed the film more that I thought I would, based on the trailer. It's definitely better than the trailer leads you to believe. I do have to say, though. When you end up watching the movie, try not going in thinking it's going to just be OK, because then it will probably will end up being okay, since you would have already set your mind that way. Try going in with an open mind. Smile

To be fair, though. It's not my favorite film by Shinkai.

I went in with that mindset with The Force Awakens and came out thinking it's the 2nd best Star Wars movie. And that's saying a lot because I love the original and TESB.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
a message that might be resonating with modern-day Japanese people (?)

Yes, I felt that. (I saw the movie on its opening day in Japan (26 August), at Movix Saitama-Shintoshin).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
How can you have an 80% opinion on something you haven't seen yet? It just sounds like backpacker hate for something with super mainstream popularity

It's just the typical contrarian mindset that a lot of anime fans have. The moment anything becomes widely popular they'll do anything in their power to make sure everyone knows how meh it is (or in this case, how meh it probably is?). If you go into most movies thinking it won't be that great, you'll probably leave with a similar impression. Makoto Shinkai makes movies. If you generally like his movies, you'll probably like this one too. If you don't, well... I'm a fan of his, yet I still wasn't a big fan of Children Who Chase Lost Voices, so it's not like it would be a first for me. But this is nothing new. All popular and beloved things go through this mandatory universal love -> "it's okay" -> universal hate cycle. And occasionally they'll bounce back from this, but generally the ire is just transferred to the next new and hip cultural phenomenon. And unfortunately, it's a never ending cycle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2