• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: God Eater Blu-Ray 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This blatant discrimination within the Fenrir organization smacks of projected selective breeding, so that the surviving humans will all have the ability to fight aragami using god arcs or god eaters. While the death Lenka witnessed in episode two was terrible for him, at least that person was an actual soldier on the battlefield. The people Fenrir refuses to save are civilians who simply don't fit their requirements for survival.

It's really more a question of basic resource, the organization has not enough resource for everyone (I don't think its ever made clear if there capable of producing more food or if they're surviving on leftover from before) so if there going to accept anyone its going to be people who can also fight off the monster. Most people wouldn't go in if there family were stuck outside to die, so they also accept the immediate family.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ock, I need to pick this up too. Stilted or not, the English dub is still very good. I really need to be a more dedicated God Eater gamer. On a side note, I wish the God Eater costume DLC would have been for Berseria instead of Zestiria.

Quote:
The biggest issue to me is the fact that almost no one wears any protective gear out on the battlefield – bare chests, exposed stomachs, and plenty of other questionable fashion choices seem to make the characters more vulnerable than they need to be. The women are particularly bad on this front, with Sakuya's outfit being impractically flowy (seriously, it looks like a risqué 1920s dress that Miss Phryne Fisher would wear), and Alisa's not only leaves all of her vulnerable areas exposed but also offers nothing in terms of support. This may seem like a silly complaint, but when most of your story is set on the battlefield and isn't shy about showing the damage the aragami can do to a human body, fanservice should perhaps take a backseat to practicality.

This is played up for laughs in Project X Zone 2 with nearly every pair unit commenting on Alisa's outfit during the pre-battle dialogs. The joke is more self-aware than anything else, and Alisa either doesn't mind that her boobs are almost out in the open or she wonders why everyone is making a big deal about it. XD

@meiam: Interestingly, that's something the first game never really touched upon, at least as far as I got into it. It was more focused on spoiler[Lindow and his mysterious background] than anything.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Error at the top! "Six years after the events of the first God Eater game," should instead be "Six years after the release of the first God Eater game," - the show itself follows the first half of the original God Eater PSP release's plot. Even the prequel episode before Lenka enters takes place 6 years before the main story starts.

Now that that's out of the way, my sister and I have put 100+ hours into Gods Eater Burst/Resurrection and literally just finished watching the anime on Hulu. Currently, we're about a third of the way through God Eater 2: Rage Burst. We watched with JP audio & subs, so I can't speak for the dub quality, but the sub's translated script fumbled connecting "Lenka" to the association his name makes with the whole Ren/lotus imagery shown throughout the show.

Who is this anime for? Primarily people that like the games. I would in fact suggest beating God Eater Resurrection before watching the anime, and playing Rage Burst (2) immediately after watching the anime, as the show never ties up its loose ends, but instead gives you a greater sense of the world in which the characters are struggling to survive in. In the new GE: Resurrection remaster on PS4/Vita/Steam, you can actually play as Lenka in-game, which is really cool that they added that.

I lament that the show never got to finish the game's entire story, as Gods Eater Burst/Resurrection has a very poorly-executed plot with tropes aplenty. The anime is amazing for diving into the actual psychology of a lot of the character personalities & choices they make, and again, gives a greater sense of the danger, economy, and general day to day life of people in a world filled with indiscriminately devouring monsters. By the time my sister and I were done watching the entire show, we were shocked by how violent & Attack on Titan-esque everything became (as that is not how Burst/Resurrection presents itself), and we were spoiler[sobbing our asses off for the rest of that evening.]

The God Eater anime does an amazing job of cleaning up the first game's janky plot, especially in preparation for playing Rage Burst (2), yet since the anime stops short, you still have to play the entire first game or you're going to be missing a lot when you start the second one. A third of the way into God Eater 2: Rage Burst, I am happy to report that Rage Burst matches the serious tone & infrastructure of the anime.

Lastly, in regards to the outfits/fanservice, some of the character designs really are a bit of a downer. While fashion is important in both the show and the game (armor would weigh God Eaters down, it's the weapon itself that is 100% of the defense) watching Alisa or Tsubaki jiggle is the female equivalent of a guy being forced to watch a male character be kicked & punched in the nuts over & over. They thankfully toned it down a bit in Rage Burst (2), but the girls still get such things as spandex tops that imply chilly environs with as pokey as things get at high resolutions. It's an easily overlooked misstep on the anime, and ogling Lindow's abs usually makes me feel happy again.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
While fashion is important in both the show and the game (armor would weigh God Eaters down, it's the weapon itself that is 100% of the defense) watching Alisa or Tsubaki jiggle is the female equivalent of a guy being forced to watch a male character be kicked & punched in the nuts over & over.

That is so far off-base it's not even funny. Maybe you shouldn't make false equivalencies about things you have no conception of? Just a thought.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ock, I need to pick this up too. Stilted or not, the English dub is still very good. I really need to be a more dedicated God Eater gamer. On a side note, I wish the God Eater costume DLC would have been for Berseria instead of Zestiria.

Yes. The dub cast is absolutely fantastic.

I agree, it would have been nice since Berseria seems awesome.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
While fashion is important in both the show and the game (armor would weigh God Eaters down, it's the weapon itself that is 100% of the defense) watching Alisa or Tsubaki jiggle is the female equivalent of a guy being forced to watch a male character be kicked & punched in the nuts over & over.

That is so far off-base it's not even funny. Maybe you shouldn't make false equivalencies about things you have no conception of? Just a thought.

The game maps it out better in its "codex" explanations - the Braclet>God Arc combo makes up the entirety of a God Eater's defensive powers, it's why in the game, clothes do not add or subtract to defense - upgrading the God Arc does. The oracle cells in the God Eater's body (as regulated by the Braclet) give the benefits of increased resilience, strength, and speed. You can see Lenka and other characters in the anime taking greater hits, falls, or lifting things or running at bizarre speeds because of this. To my recollection, there isn't a single character in God Eater Burst/Resurrection that uses bulkier armor - it would just trip them up given some of the more acrobatic combat moves some weapon styles are capable of.

Still, the first game has some odd choices with Alisa and Tsubaki's outfits - they trigger a "mental logic error" with how impractical the physics of their movement would otherwise feel in real life. Later in the game, bosses start popping up too that aren't exactly "tasteless", but have me questioning why they need to look as "topless" as they do. The second game has toned that down a bit, though some outfit parts still don't leave much to the imagination. Unlike the first game, a good chunk of the cast have multiple outfit configurations that take poor weather conditions into account, so that was a nice added touch. In the end, all of the background info & explaining doesn't nulify the fact that the game devs just wanted trendy, sexy characters, but still, it fits the world and is easy enough to overlook.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
honestly it was a "meh, this looks pretty" reaction for me until episode 5.
god that episode was just amazing.
I forget which reviewer made up this name but the name Dyaus Pain In The Ass (Pita) was right on the money.

@LinkTSwordmaster

huh thats interesting, the pessimist in me says theres got to be some way of producing armor or something sturdy that doesn't greatly restrict their movement, but my other side says ok ill buy that Smile

reminds me i need to finish that game, i started it but the gamepllay is ust so different than what im used to that i just sorta gave up lol.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

I forget which reviewer made up this name but the name Dyaus Pain In The Ass (Pita) was right on the money.

@LinkTSwordmaster

huh thats interesting, the pessimist in me says theres got to be some way of producing armor or something sturdy that doesn't greatly restrict their movement, but my other side says ok ill buy that Smile

reminds me i need to finish that game, i started it but the gamepllay is ust so different than what im used to that i just sorta gave up lol.

> The first time you fight a Pita in GE: Resurrection is actually pretty epic & challenging. It was totally wrecking my party. The anime's depiction of it was mind-blowing cool and only made me more excited to fight it in-game.

> Like I said, even when backed by in-game backstory info, it mainly just comes down to what the game devs are trying to sell. Kotaku's Cecilia D'Anastasio recently wrote about the Conan the Barbarian boardgame's depiction of women and posted a new article tonight about Dungeons & Dragons' monster designs here. Definitely worth a read if you're interested in gaining some insight on the subject of "specific character designs/outfits being marketed to certain genders". Lenka is fun to watch in the anime, but GE:Burst/Resurrection often feels like the story expects you to make a guy character in the way in treats you during cutscenes. The second game does a bit of a better job acknowledging the differences from what I've played.

> I don't blame you for stalling on your playthrough. I've got something like 200 hours on my Monster Hunter 4 3DS game and the original PSP God Eater games were absolute trash combat-wise compared to recent Monster Hunter releases. Resurrection managed to rectify that a lot by adding various ways to buff your character & speed around the battlefield (Predator Styles), but its late-game balance is still terrible and most normal quests can be won in around 2 minutes of just shooting your gun. Rage Burst (a third of the way through) has been much more balanced and whilst still not as good as Monster Hunter 4, is absolutely worth playing for the story & multiplayer fun....but you kinda need to slog through Resurrection first if you want to see everything.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show. A lot of it seems to be inspired from Attack on Titans, but it definitely has a personality of its own. Hopefully they're making the second season now. The last episode feels way too open-ended even for just an ending of a season.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
I really enjoyed this show. A lot of it seems to be inspired from Attack on Titans, but it definitely has a personality of its own. Hopefully they're making the second season now. The last episode feels way too open-ended even for just an ending of a season.

Most if not all of the stuff that you can link to Shingeki was there on the game. The game's original release was a mere months after SnK's manga debut, and the game's production lasted years. I seriously doubt they could change the story to make it like SnK in just a few months if it wasn't like that already before SnK's manga was ever a thing. Not to mention, they obviously didn't even have a way to know how famous SnK was going to be
They'd need time travel for the "they copied SnK" thing to make any sense
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
casualfan wrote:

Most if not all of the stuff that you can link to Shingeki was there on the game. The game's original release was a mere months after SnK's manga debut, and the game's production lasted years. I seriously doubt they could change the story to make it like SnK in just a few months if it wasn't like that already before SnK's manga was ever a thing. Not to mention, they obviously didn't even have a way to know how famous SnK was going to be
They'd need time travel for the "they copied SnK" thing to make any sense

In that case it's definitely an interesting coincidence considering how similar the setting, premise, and plot are. At this day and age I don't care that much about originality anyway. It's about the execution and if the product can bring enough differences to stand on its own. And I think God Eater definitely accomplish that in this first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1