• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Working on Proposed New Anime Feature Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
As Suzuki and Takahata said, he just can't stop. Not that I'd mind – looking forward to whatever were going to see from him!
#Hgeronimo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's fantastic. <3
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
The Wind Rises was great, but I really can't view it as a satisfying conclusion to Miyazaki's work. Another film would be splendid.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, Miyazaki~ We knew you couldn't keep the pencil down. Smile

Well, whatever happens, I'm looking forward to his next film.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
I hope this happens and I hope he lives long enough to complete it.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
I never liked his movies but I have to ask, why the hell would I want to watch a movie about a caterpillar? Does everything have to be cute or a social commentary with this political activist wannabe?
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I never liked his movies but I have to ask, why the hell would I want to watch a movie about a caterpillar? Does everything have to be cute or a social commentary with this political activist wannabe?

You never liked his movies and the most general of descriptions of this short film doesn't appeal to you. Seems like you aren't his intended audience.

Anyway, I'd be incredibly happy if he actually does end up making another film. The Wind Rises is pretty much the perfect swan song for him, seeing as it seemed so incredibly personal and in places almost auto-biographical, but a world with more Miyazaki movies is one that just seems more hopeful.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I haven't been particularly fond of his output after Princess Mononoke. After he won the Academy Award for Spirited Away (a technically brilliant yet critically overrated film), no one could reign in his self-indulgent proclivities or saccharine sentimentality.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite is definitely The Wind Rises and I love how Ghibli focused on realistic stories with special attention on daily life and mundane drama as opposed to fantasy films in the final years. Boro the Caterpillar will be more like Totoro and Ponyo, I guess. Still very curious about it, although I think I have a basic idea what it'll be about based on various things Miyazaki said in the past 30+ years.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

You never liked his movies and the most general of descriptions of this short film doesn't appeal to you. Seems like you aren't his intended audience.

Anyway, I'd be incredibly happy if he actually does end up making another film. The Wind Rises is pretty much the perfect swan song for him, seeing as it seemed so incredibly personal and in places almost auto-biographical, but a world with more Miyazaki movies is one that just seems more hopeful.

I completely get that he's going to layer the story but are you seriously going to tell me it's going to be dark and edgy and thought provoking?

{Edit}: Leave out the rude personal insults from now on. ~ Psycho 101
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is a great director and very important to the anime industry. I am interested in another movie from him, but only if it is on the caliber of at least Spirited Away (to me his fourth best movie after Princess Mononoke, Nausica and Kiki)

I am not giving Miyazaki a pass if he makes a new movie that is mediocre.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
His wife must want him out the house.
ZouhanXIII

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Make anime great again. Laughing
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
I haven't been particularly fond of his output after Princess Mononoke. After he won the Academy Award for Spirited Away (a technically brilliant yet critically overrated film), no one could reign in his self-indulgent proclivities or saccharine sentimentality.

wow nice to see somebody else with the same opinion as me, and here i thought that you guys in the west would gobble up anything that miyazaki shoots out.

though in retrospect he did deserve the oscar due to the fact that (ignoring the fact that the AA is won by good marketing) the erst of it's contender are pretty much average at best. not to mention the animation renascence still hasn't began yet (around the 2010's imo)

not to mention during the time studios other then gibili which mainly focus on feature lengths all a more serial focus which the academy doesn't take into consideration.

to be frank although i dislike him as a person (he really shouldn't that oscar which really inflated his ego) and company (content flagging reviewers even though they gave you a good review? exploiting employees even though having world renown? seriously now gibli) i would still most likely watch his next work since he still hasn't gone full Lucas on us yet. it's the same stance i have with Gibson as long as he produce good works i will consume it even though i whink that he's a shit of a person.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
which really inflated his ego

How so? Explain.

GarethXL wrote:
exploiting employees even though having world renown? seriously now gibli

Ghibli is known to treat their employees better than most animation companies, even though they also demand much, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3