• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Movies That Need Licenses ASAP

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Saint Young Men the one the author didn't want to come to the states (either movie or manga) because she thinks they would find it super offensive and doesn't want to, or am I wrong?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sadly, you're right.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Good list. Didn't know many of them were not licenced in the US. We have Mind Game, Piano no Mori, the Steins;Gate movie and High Speed! here in Germany. I'd love to see Angel's Egg released overseas, though; easily my favorite movie in the arthouse department.

Quote:
Taifū no Noruda Taifū no Noruda (or Noruda's Typhoon) is the first full-scale production by Studio Colorido

They animated both Hinata no Aoshigueru and Shashinkan. Both are about the same length (and better than Taifuu no Noruda, especially Shashinkan).

Edit: Okay, Hinata and Shashinkan are both ~10m shorter.
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
For the anime that needs a sequel poll: can we add Chihayafuru to the list? Thanks!
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
MikeNeko San wrote:
For the anime that needs a sequel poll: can we add Chihayafuru to the list? Thanks!

I did just that. Would have liked to add another two (Silver Spoon and Space Brothers), though.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
I see One Punch Man on the list, it's already been confirmed that there will be a sequel though...
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Silver Spoon, yesssss. It's a terrible oversight that the manga hasn't been licensed - somebody needs to make amends.

Just as a head's up: Yona seems to be on the list twice: once in Japanese and once in English.

Last edited by MikeNeko San on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
I see One Punch Man on the list, it's already been confirmed that there will be a sequel though...

I completely agree. OPM shouldn't be on the list with a sequel already on the way. Anyway, I voted for Magical Index. I want to see the rest of the novels adapted.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
The Steins;Gate movie was confirmed for next year.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Oh, Mind Game, how I wish you'd get a BD release somewhere in the world... Back when it was on Neflix in the US, was it streamed in high definition?
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd love a Criterion release of Mind Game...or any release really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I saw Mind Game for free as part of a small film festival several months ago. Certainly, I am glad to have seen something so unhinged, multifaceted and sexually energetic, but as much as the film almost taunts the viewer to subject it to a more careful eye, I cannot say I am in any hurry to repeat the experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Piano no Mori: I watched this fansubbed back in 2012 out of curiosity (and because there was no other way to see it). It's an absolutely beautiful film with great music and an interesting story in regards to growing up; a shame it hasn't seen any kind of release since its premiere a little over nine years ago.

Angel's Egg: Still needs some kind of physical distribution, but nothing yet to this day. What was the story behind this not getting a home release again? Something about who holds the original copyright to it?

Saint Young Men: This should be released regardless of how overly sensitive Christians might react. They get offended at literally everything involving their religious figurehead anyway. What's one more anime really?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping Funimation licenses the previous One Piece films in the future.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Gantz:O needs to get licensed.

The Anime gods are blessing us with the true Code Geass sequel next week so there wont be a need to vote for it. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5