Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions Film's English Dub Clip Shows Joey




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sayuri Lapis



Joined: 26 Oct 2013
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Joeys voice actor hasn't changed Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It's been years and Joey sounds as thrilling as ever. Now I'm seriously having high hopes for this film. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1412
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Billy Bob Thornton's in this movie?? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zaig



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Posts: 18
Location: Iowa, USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
"Nope, going too fast to see!"

Classic Joey. Immediately reminded me why he's my favorite. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Me: The Overwhelming Underdog returns!

Joey: *collapses* Hey! Show a little respect!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3219
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?


Honestly it really bothered me at first too but after re-watching the DM series over and over it grew on me only after I conditioned my mind to think that this wasnt made in Japan.

To answer your question: blame 4KIDS. All Funi is doing now is continuing where they left off for the sake of consistency and nostalgia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ryoukosan245



Joined: 09 Oct 2016
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?


Honestly it really bothered me at first too but after re-watching the DM series over and over it grew on me only after I conditioned my mind to think that this wasnt made in Japan.

To answer your question: blame 4KIDS. All Funi is doing now is continuing where they left off for the sake of consistency and nostalgia


Funimation isn't dubbing this, 4K media is. What made you think Funimation is dubbing this, they've never had the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh!, if they did it would be uncut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?


Honestly it really bothered me at first too but after re-watching the DM series over and over it grew on me only after I conditioned my mind to think that this wasnt made in Japan.

To answer your question: blame 4KIDS. All Funi is doing now is continuing where they left off for the sake of consistency and nostalgia


Funimation isn't dubbing this, 4K media is. What made you think Funimation is dubbing this, they've never had the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh!, if they did it would be uncut.


My mistake on that. I was reading another article on Funi so it popped into my head. Besides I try to forget about 4KIDS and anything related to them licensing YGO as much as I can
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1998
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Great job, this movies isn't in Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal here in Canada... LOL - it will flop in Canada so badly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Smith



Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 1298
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?


Inappropriate accents are an easy form of cheap comedy for dubs. They don't require a lot of effort and kids find people who talk different funny.

-Stuart Smith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aura Ichadora



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1869
Location: In front of my computer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I love Joey's accent in the dub, so I'm glad to hear it again. Hearing all of the dub voices again really ramps up the nostalgia trip I'm one.

I just ordered tickets for it, so I'm very excited! I just wish it still wasn't two weeks away. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12200
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
I got a feeling littlekuriboh might use this in YGOTAS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuza



Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why does he still have that stupid New York accent?


Inappropriate accents are an easy form of cheap comedy for dubs. They don't require a lot of effort and kids find people who talk different funny.

-Stuart Smith


Although I think 4Kids has a bad habit of treating it's audience like idiots I think you're over exaggerating here. It was pretty common during the early 2000s for characters with rough accents to be dubbed as either Brooklyn or Southern accents.

In anime characters from the country or with a working class background speak with a Kansai dialect which has a lot of stereotypes associated with it.

I don't know if Joey speaks like this or if he just speaks impolitely, but 4Kids used the Brooklyn accent because it has similar stereotypes that young American children would understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group