Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Opens in Theaters in U.S., Canada on April 7


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kiminobokuwa



Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
...*looks at watch*..WE HAVE TO WAIT TILL APRIL!?!?! THAT'S SO LONG FROM NOW!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jojothepunisher



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 799
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know whether this is going to affect the date on which the Blu-Ray will be released in Japan? I hope they release it over here with RAW, because I sure as hell ain't watching a butchered version of the original before I watch the original.

EDIT: I fear at this rate that I will have to go to Japan to watch this film......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zin5ki
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 6679
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The news seems to be that the disc release will not come before October, even though pre-orders are now available to place in some parts of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsuraTheDestructor



Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 350
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Does anybody know whether this is going to affect the date on which the Blu-Ray will be released in Japan? I hope they release it over here with RAW, because I sure as hell ain't watching a butchered version of the original before I watch the original.

EDIT: I fear at this rate that I will have to go to Japan to watch this film......


...Are you seriously gonna be "that" guy? The one who insatiably thinks that a dub is "butchering" a series despite what has been shown otherwise in recent years?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 743
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
@jojothepunisher

Did you even read the article? It's being released in Japanese with subtitles, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The hype will be dead by then.. what a fail :/
Ughhh Funi...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smokeyjoey8



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 86
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
If they're doing English songs for the film then I wonder if they're planning a wider release for this film than most anime films gets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 743
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
@Ambimunch

What? Who cares about hype? Are you saying you're not gonna see the film when it releases because the hype died down? Besides, RADWIMPS is dubbing their songs for the English Dub showings, so it's not all FUNi's fault.


Last edited by Raebo101 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4532
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:


...Are you seriously gonna be "that" guy? The one who insatiably thinks that a dub is "butchering" a series despite what has been shown otherwise in recent years?


Recent years has shown exactly that - dubs are still loaded with subpar acting.


I'm more concerned about the fact at Funimation seems to be pulling a Eva 3.33 on this. They had this film translated last summer for Anime Expo. And yet it's gonna take over a full year to release it for home release. I don't care to watch this with a bunch of other people (mostly unappreciative super nerdy children that only watch for the hype), I want to enjoy it on my own home system at in peace and comfort. We've already waited far longer than normal and now we have to wait even longer simply because they want to drag out theatrical release like they did with Eva. GG Funimation. Really was hoping for a 40ish dollar CE for this but at this rate I might just import -_-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Treeborn



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The hype will be dead by then.. what a fail :/
Ughhh Funi...


He! Not with ANN reminding us how much money it makes every six seconds Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4532
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:


He! Not with ANN reminding us how much money it makes every six seconds Anime hyper


Which is far less than they advertise if people actually did work to adjust for inflation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2436
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So no news about when (or even if) it will be open in latinamerica? There was a two day debut back in december (for a couple of days in [b]one[b] film theater in mexico city, so that does not count.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaitoHajime101



Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 238
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm more concerned about the fact at Funimation seems to be pulling a Eva 3.33 on this. They had this film translated last summer for Anime Expo. And yet it's gonna take over a full year to release it for home release. I don't care to watch this with a bunch of other people (mostly unappreciative super nerdy children that only watch for the hype), I want to enjoy it on my own home system at in peace and comfort. We've already waited far longer than normal and now we have to wait even longer simply because they want to drag out theatrical release like they did with Eva. GG Funimation. Really was hoping for a 40ish dollar CE for this but at this rate I might just import -_-


Dubbing quality aside, that was a bad example relating to EVA 3.33. EVA was under circumstances out of Funi's control (looking at Japan on that one). Also it hasn't been a complete year since the film released in Japan, which is well within Funi's typical dubbing schedule. Look how long it took them to release DB Super (not sure if that was contractual and scheduling issues or what).

I get the want to watch something on the home screen, but needlessly blaming companies for circumstances that we're unaware of just seems a little much to me Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikaioh



Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 1203
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to be checking this out in theaters when it releases, I'm very curious about all the positive buzz and I'm hoping it comes across better than it looks (which is like a teen melodrama, so I'm hoping it surpasses that in a meaningful way).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1053
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
thank god there's gonna be a sub release. got worried for a second there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group