• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G to re-Animate Reideen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Nice!! I'm definitely looking forward to this, the "RahXephon of the 70s" (RahXephon was based off Reideen)

I'm very familiar with Reideen (thanks to Super Robot Wars) but I've never actually seen the original series (and the 70s kiddy-style opening theme REALLY annoys me: "Yuke! Yuke! Yuke! Reideen! Reideen!")

Too bad it's not directed by Tomino...since he only works for Sunrise

So, Sunrise, how about that 21st Century Mobile Suit Gundam UC0079 remake? (No, Gundam SEED doesn't count)
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Ideon will ever be remade...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
goddo baaaaado chaaaange
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
It's probably going to be geared towards kids like the previous versions of the series, but it's worth a try. I'll watch the first episode when it's released.

SSJ Gohan 64: I don't see that happening, but it'd be great to see a remake of "1970's Evangelion."
condorfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
Nice!! I'm definitely looking forward to this, the "RahXephon of the 70s" (RahXephon was based off Reideen)

RahXephon was based on raideen? Cool! S.O. has seen some Raideen and liked it... says it's one of the cooler series.
But will Yas be doing the chara design? Or someone else? Is Yas even doing anything anime-related anymore, or has he retired?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
[Please exercise better grammar and spelling, and do not double post. Thanks. --Nagi]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting but will it have "jiggle vision"? Hahahahaha!!!

Just kidding. Now this is interesting. Let's see what they come up with.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
guess i have to rephrase my last post? i was just trying to point out that reideen already had a remake in the 90s. i hope this one is more sucessful. if yasuhiko does the character designs that would be the most amazing thing in the history of anime considering he's hasn't done anything within the last 10 years. but if this project is anything like the recent gaiking remake then id highly doubt it.

as for rahxephon, I've never heard of the idea originating from the reideen storyline but there are some similarities (especially if youve played srw mx) oh well i hope this post doesnt get deleted also lol. just trying to express my opinion Rolling Eyes
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
It's probably going to be geared towards kids like the previous versions of the series, but it's worth a try. I'll watch the first episode when it's released.

SSJ Gohan 64: I don't see that happening, but it'd be great to see a remake of "1970's Evangelion."

Actually 1980-1981.
Vir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
guess i have to rephrase my last post? i was just trying to point out that reideen already had a remake in the 90s.

Correct: Chouja Reideen (1996-1997)

The 2007 version looks a bit like a kid's show, though less than the first one. The 3D designs look kind of cool.

I hope they sneak in a RahXephon reference or two as well. Cool
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
condorfan wrote:

RahXephon was based on raideen? Cool! S.O. has seen some Raideen and liked it... says it's one of the cooler series.
But will Yas be doing the chara design? Or someone else? Is Yas even doing anything anime-related anymore, or has he retired?

I've never seen confirmation that the guys at Bones based it off of Raideen, but the design of both main mecha (down to the bow) have many similarities. I believe the Gabthley's (from Zeta GUndam) Fade-in gun is a direct nod to Raideen. I grew up watching this show in the 70's but have not seen it since. I still have the toys and can hum the theme song (can't remember the words though) and had Tomino sign one of my cardboard Raideen books at Anime Expo 1992. He was surprised when I pulled it out (along with my LD of GUndam III) and exclaimed "natsukashi!"

I'm also a huge Yas fan (still sad that most of you haven't seen Giant Gorg or Arion) but he is only doing manga these days.
Vir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I've never seen confirmation that the guys at Bones based it off of Raideen,

Wikipedia is your friend. The director of RahXephon said it both in an interview in Newtype and in a panel interview that made it here to ANN:

Anime Expo 2006 - Yutaka Izubuchi Focus Panel:
Quote:
RahXephon shares some traits with some of the 70s robot anime. Was that intentional? Were you trying to remake one of those?

You're absolutely right. Basically it's been a long time since Brave Raideen. Since a show like that hasn't existed for a long time, I wanted to do something to bring that type of show back. Normally people in their teens and twenties wouldn't know about Raideen. I just thought people had forgotten about those type of shows, I thought it would be refreshing to it back. Ironically, Tomino, the director of Raideen, is the director of Gundam, which is a completely different type of shows.

John Oppliger notes similarities to Megazone 23 (OAV) (one of the shows used to make Robotech: The Untold Story (U.S. movie) ).
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Now I can only hope that it is more in tune with the Original series and not with the 90's remake Cool

and praying it gets an R1 release, being a Prod !G product Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1