• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PC Impressions - Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Bring on the nude mods.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I remember one time I was at a convention and I saw a lot of Senran Kagura Burst as the last played 3DS game among StreetPasses, so I picked up Deep Crimson to see what sort of game this was, as Fry's Electronics had two copies of it left. (The remaining copy is still there.) I sometimes get bizarre games on a whim, and this looked bizarre enough to me.

It got kind of boring, with each character only having a few good options to use in battle. I just thought it was because I don't play a lot of beat-em-up games and I'm bad with combos in any game that isn't a falling blocks puzzle game. But according to this article, the combat for this series really isn't that deep and intricate.

I would've liked more drawn out stages too. Does Estival Versus have full-length stages, or are they short and cutscene-heavy like with Deep Crimson? I never really liked the whole cardboard cutout with a text box at the bottom approach Japanese games tend to go for.
egozi14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know is something was removed from the pc port? :0
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
So I get the game sis echi action with a perverted kind of musou gameplay. How acually erotic is the game though? Are we going to have nipples and such or would be settling for magically obsctructed breats. I'm complete on board with a game pandering what this game does. I just hope for a PC version, the characters will be able full express themselves.

Looks a lot to me like some really take softcore stuff trying to act like it is serios harcore echi.

I'd fine paying for an echi action rpg, but the echi has to deliver because otherwise the game would be burried under a ton of far superior arpgs.. The sole thing that can make this game stand out is the echhi. It needs to actually be there. Not covered with light and hair and stuff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
So I get the game sis echi action with a perverted kind of musou gameplay. How acually erotic is the game though? Are we going to have nipples and such or would be settling for magically obsctructed breats. I'm complete on board with a game pandering what this game does. I just hope for a PC version, the characters will be able full express themselves.

Looks a lot to me like some really take softcore stuff trying to act like it is serios harcore echi.

I'd fine paying for an echi action rpg, but the echi has to deliver because otherwise the game would be burried under a ton of far superior arpgs.. The sole thing that can make this game stand out is the echhi. It needs to actually be there. Not covered with light and hair and stuff.

The characters have Barbie doll anatomy, though any time they get completely naked, there is something blocking their private parts. The draw of this game, as it seems, are the exaggerated proportions the girls have (which they all treat as perfectly normal, and by the looks of things, in their world, it IS perfectly normal) and the ability to dress them up and put them in suggestive poses.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The menus are a nightmare to navigate with a mouse, and there's no apparent way to switch away from the default Xbox control prompts. Play it with a gamepad.

If I could use a gamepad, I would be playing a lot more PS games. Have to make do with the good ole mouse and keyboard.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I would've liked more drawn out stages too. Does Estival Versus have full-length stages, or are they short and cutscene-heavy like with Deep Crimson?

Pretty much the latter though not as cutscene heavy.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I just hope for a PC version, the characters will be able full express themselves.

....Yeah the only way you're getting that is with mods.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
It needs to actually be there. Not covered with light and hair and stuff.

...Except that was the intention of the developers so it's going to be there even in the PC version.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
there is a mod on pc that makes mouse and keyboard much less painful to use...
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Leaving aside the ecchi stuff - I found the game incredibly easy and fun to play as soon as I learned to use dashing to cancel combos and navigate the battlefield. Speedster characters are great to play for this reason, and there is something really satisfying to see your combo meter rise up in the 1000s...

I expected a flawed PC port, but so far the game has been stellar. I love the cute little details and how the textures look like on the girls clothes...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Classic Game Room reviewed the PS4 version. Once he got past the ecchi, he actually praised its gameplay and variety in characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1