• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANiUTa President Comments on Decline of Anime & Anime Music Industries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sasaki said, “If young people don't continue to become fans, it will cause the industry to gradually shrink.” He also noted that it is important to cater to the needs of international anime fans.

Now, Sasaki-san, can you convince the various powers that be in the Anime industry in Japan that they really need to pay attention to this? I'm hoping that you can, Sir.

Mark Gosdin
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but won't necessarily buy the Blu-rays, DVDs, or music CDs.

Because the price for those products usually is ridiculously high for the Japanese consumer, "light users" would rather spend the same money on say a Nendoroid, a nice shirt, a whole cosplay outfit, or whatever than to pay a small fortune for 3-4 episodes of a 2 cour series.

I am not surprised fans would reverse import Blu Rays when clearly there home nation distributers hasn't the concept that they could sell more product (and consequently gain more profit) to "light users" by figuring out a way to cut the price point.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
but won't necessarily buy the Blu-rays, DVDs, or music CDs.

Because the price for those products usually is ridiculously high for the Japanese consumer, "light users" would rather spend the same money on say a Nendoroid, a nice shirt, a whole cosplay outfit, or whatever than to pay a small fortune for 3-4 episodes of a 2 cour series.

This is untrue... People who buy cosplays want a cosplay outfit, not because they want to buy some blu-rays? They're not interchangable items at all. Not to mention light users won't be cosplaying... People who want to spend $10 or $100 on turning their bags into itabags won't be buying blu-rays either. Or for that matter people who spend 600y/mo on Aniuta are likely just happy to get AnisonSpotify. It's meant for a generic audience much like Spotify is, but it's also true that things are going this way just because the time are a-changing.

If you're going Don Quixote on this at least pick the right windmill.
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Also, not alienating all other countries by "Japan Only" sales policy might help a little. The market in Japan is finite, the market outside Japan is growing. Not all companies do that policy, just a few. But I can't help but think that the ones doing Japan Only policies on sales are only hurting their bottom line.

Nendroids range in price from 30-40 dollars US if you convert the Yen price. That's about half the cost of their Blu-rays and DVDs. But not something the average kid can just go in and buy. Shirts and clothing are also expensive in Japan, ranging from 25-70 dollars US when converted from Yen. Clothes almost rival the cost of Blu-ray and DVD. CD prices range from 15-30 dollars usually.

The one thing I can say, having bought Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, and LDs from Japan is that the product and extras sometimes included are far better the US release. The art on the packaging and little extras are incredible. Would be nice if more was on the video formats but I prefer the quality I get from Japan. I'd love it if they did more direct to subtitle releases.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thinking of the anime industry in general, new anime are broadcast, but the system of recouping all costs with Blu-ray and DVD sales is plateauing a little as well and becoming less profitable.

It really doesn't help that people can't afford this stuff. Even in Japan costs are going up with average pay not moving at all. People can't afford to spend 300+ dollars (Worth of yen) on a single cour anime. Japan does get really nice bonuses with their anime but drop that stuff and make it cheaper for the average consumer and maybe more people would buy it.

As for this streaming service....Lossless or not worth it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also noted that it is important to cater to the needs of international anime fans.

Hopefully he means producing anime shows that have potential to appeal to more mainstream viewers, but are still made with the Japanese fans primarily in mind...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
While some Japanese companies may be open to less region-locks, Japanese copyright laws on such are another story. No wonder many copyright laws have to be reformed.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
1. Stop the volume by volume releases of BD/DVD or lower the costs per volume down by 50-60% even if it means losing the feelies. Also, embrace the boxset sooner rather than later, boxsets in Japan come out 1 to even 20+ years after the anime has been available for a home video release, some older stuff should've been on BD years ago in Japan and we're now just getting BDs of early 2000's anime in Japan.

2. Move on to a merchandise model, as stated most casuals just buy goods and go to events. Focus on events and merchandise for the domestic market and merchandise for the international side. Also, be aware that it's older people who buy the merch (18+ these days), so have some for them in certain series such as Aikatsu or Pripara where there's a significant adult fanbase,

3. Embrace streaming more. Mobile streaming is happening more but there's a lot to be done for one, offer up major titles (Gundam, Precure, One Piece, etc.), right now it's primarily shorts that get the mobile streaming treatment outside of the West. Also, region locking for these apps needs to go ASAP. The Japanese fanbase is waning slightly while the Western, Chinese, and Taiwanese fanbases are increasing, it's time they let us get into the action without so many issues for the sake of your wallet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, someone in the industry actually talking sense and considering the future? Hell must be freezing over again.
khczvgm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Edit.

Last edited by khczvgm on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah! back in the late oughties when Anno had a similar rail about the decine of the industry, and the recent grumblings from Hayao (Grumpy-san) Miyazaki. Yet the people making the product keep chumming out the the same old otaku bait, No change there then. Laughing
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote
In one aspect they were saved by the increasing foreign dollars. Which when those foreign dollars stopped we had the implosion of the early-mid 2000's. This time there might not be a new miracle bailout from new sources.

I say this often, but I'm not against a small implosion of the market. The matter I think is less of price, and more of too much content. Fans tend to be obsessive and buy everything they can. I feel many are hitting burnout. We have so much that is so good, one can barely wrestle down our priorities.

Also for the music folks, they don't have the saving grace of the foreign markets. People import their shows, yet I rarely encounter anyone that imports a music CD.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
I definitely think that the industry needs to be willing to try new ways to make money for their artists. There really is no reason why those beginning animators can't make a living wage from their hard work. Expecting them to put up with it under the "paying your dues" reason is what is driving them away. I would love to see studios acknowledge this is an issue and at the same time, allow those who can, donate to help them as a sort of crowdfunding project. I'd feel much more happy, as a fan of anime and manga, to be able to donate to something like a "Hana to Yume" or Studio Wit fund that would directly help these artists rather than hope that five cents of my overseas manga or anime purchase will trickle down to them. Of course, I'm sure that companies would find a way to take advantage of this and adjust what they pay each individual artist because the crowdfunding money will supplement their earnings.

Expecting overseas fans to subscribe to the antiquated methods Japan uses to distribute media, such as preventing the sale of music on non-Japanese iTunes, is what is also driving fans from buying. Why go through these hoops when, with a couple clicks of my keyboard, I can find it for free elsewhere?

While it's nice to see someone else in the industry point out these issues, unless changes are made, this amounts to nothing more than a venting session.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I understand the suffering of music and DVD/BD makers that need the CDs and the DVD/BD sales to make a decent profit on anime. They are the part of the production committee that have lost more in the recent years.

Less people are buying music CDs, BD's/DVD's. Looking in a deeper outlook, not many people buy physical media in Japan now or in the past.

The houses don't have that available space and there here never a culture in buying DVDs/BDs. The high price of BDs in Japan came from that. Otaku started to buy the BD's that were destined to the rental market at rental market prices. When they try to decrease the price, there were little increase in sales and the makers of that BD/DVD had to return to higher prices or lose the profit.
So even if they decrease the prices again, they will loss even more money than now.

So now come the elephant in the room. How to keep the profits for BD's/DVD's and music companies.

They can forget about going after profits in Late Night anime. Most of them are founded by big manga/LN publishers that only look at the increase of sale numbers of their manga and LN. That anime are infocomercials for the otaku market, the only ones watching that animes.

Quote:
The average late night anime budget is small (about $2 million to $4 million for the entire series), and that is by design. If you look at the production committee of late night anime, you’ll find the TV station is a committee member.

Manga and light novel publishers are using the anime to promote the source material. If people aren’t watching the anime, but sales of the source material are increasing during the run of the anime, they will be happy. Music companies are concerned with selling image song CDs or promoting their idols (think Love Live!).

If a manga or light novel finishes, the possibility of another anime season becomes nonexistent.

Original anime works are not free from this either, since they tend to be adapted into manga and light novels. However, they do have more leeway in terms of story.

The crazy thing is that this business model works. In 2014, the manga industry made 282 billion yen (2.3 billion USD) in Japan alone. The anime industry brought in 242 billion yen (1.9 billion USD) in 2013 from the Japanese and international markets combined.

They can hope that manga/LN's publishers want to promote more mainstream manga/LN but still the Late Night otaku audience is still small and not very willing to go after that kind of anime.

The only way out for music and DVD/BDs companies are: they founding original anime and find a way to bring that anime to the public. Outside of the Late Night market, daytime TV are not investing in having time slots for anime.

So probably the have to make anime for streaming and hope that international market buy in to them. An the other question is. Are music companies looking at the international market? (looking at you, Avex Pictures)
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Also for the music folks, they don't have the saving grace of the foreign markets. People import their shows, yet I rarely encounter anyone that imports a music CD.

Cough, I'm more of an anime music fan than an anime fan and feel that ANN doesn't properly cover the music side (where composer, lyricist, arranger and song title matter as well as the musicians, singers and what anime a song is from), so those who do import anime music on CD would not necessarily post about it much on ANN.

Both the new music / anime and secondhand music / anime stores that I have visited in Japan have been very helpful when I've tried to find music by particular artists or from particular anime. Sites like CD Japan offer some of the best online service anywhere for ordering anime music. The goodwill from Japanese anime music artists in person and via Twitter to their overseas fans is amazing also.

Some anime music record companies in Japan make their material more accessible to overseas customers by allowing worldwide access to their YouTube channels and offering overseas electronic sales (eg iTunes), and others eg Avex go out of their way to restrict overseas sales.

PS I only found out that ANiUTa was a streaming company by reading the referenced article, not from the article that this thread is the talkback for.

I would think that if subscribing to a streaming service or buying downloadable versions of music, one should get access to the credits (names of people responsible for the music) and lyrics. That is one of the reasons that I buy physical CD's.

Last edited by omiya on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2