• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Ghost in the Shell Film Will Lose At Least US$60 Million

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
For what they were trying to do with this live adaptation, it would've worked better they adapted a different Masamune shirow work like Appleseed. Regardless, it was a poor decision to create a shallow and bland action film, ghost in the shell or not.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
People already blaming the race debate for it's failure. When it really failed cause only an anime fan would see this film. It's competing against Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Boss Baby and Lego Batman. Of these 5 films only a Ghost in the Shell fan or someone wanting mindless action would see Ghost in the Shell. This film was never going to succeed in the west.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Anime is and will remain a niche in the West. And the retro sci-fi look that GIts has is not going to sell much either is these Marvel mega franchise days. Even if every single actor had been Asian the film would have still tanked.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not too surprised by this. The competition, the mediocre script that caused a divide between critics, the whitewashing controversy (which to me in this case is a load of putrid nonsense), the director's reputation, the horrible marketing, the mere fact that it's adapting an anime/manga, the stupid screenwriters, etc. I could go on. At the very least I hope it doesn't suffer an even worse fate than Ben Affleck's "Live by Night" movie, and I highly doubt it will.

It's quite a shame, I have seen numerous videos of people working behind the scenes and have done everything they can to present this movie. I love the visual quality, it looks gorgeous in IMAX. I think Rupert improved as a director since his "Snow White and the Huntsman" film, still rough around the edges but I believe he has the talent to make good films. It's very sad to see all that wasted on a pathetic script. I want to know who smoked a mountain of dope and hired the dunce famous for writing many of the Transformers movies and Scream 3&4. That is a horrendous move right there, it is the one thing I am completely displeased with. Ehren Kruger cannot write for the life of him.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Shame, this was kind of important re:future anime/manga adaptations; so much for seeing an Attack on Titan movie from the USA any time soon. Part of the problem is that Ghost in the Shell is so much older than your average active anime fan. Hopefully this won't pull the plug on next year's Alita: Battle Angel, which was always more about style than substance and should endure being reduced to a simple actionfest much better than Ghost in the Shell apparently was. There's also the live-action Death Note project of Netflix.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
People already blaming the race debate for it's failure. When it really failed cause only an anime fan would see this film. It's competing against Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Boss Baby and Lego Batman.

All but one of those movies had already been out for weeks before GitS came out, and it's not like there's a huge pre-existing Boss Baby fandom out there. I do think it was a mistake to spend $100 million+ on a lesser-known franchise, but the impact of the whitewashing controversy can't be ignored. Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Shame, this was kind of important re:future anime/manga adaptations; so much for seeing an Attack on Titan movie from the USA any time soon. Part of the problem is that Ghost in the Shell is so much older than your average active anime fan. Hopefully this won't pull the plug on next year's Alita: Battle Angel, which was always more about style than substance and should endure being reduced to a simple actionfest much better than Ghost in the Shell apparently was. There's also the live-action Death Note project of Netflix.

Wait, Battle Angel Alita is more style than substance? What about it makes it so unimpressive for you to say that? Please, I'd like to know. As a fan of the material, I fail to see how that is.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Anime is and will remain a niche in the West. And the retro sci-fi look that GIts has is not going to sell much either is these Marvel mega franchise days. Even if every single actor had been Asian the film would have still tanked.

It would have just tanked harder. Name recognition of the starring actress was one of the few things this movie had going for it to try to expand out of that niche.

I mean they could have cast a Japanese actress to star in the movie and resigned themselves to that niche, but there is no way the budget would have been that large. That means the one good aspect of the movie (the visuals) would go down the crapper with the rest of it.

Wyvern wrote:
Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.

That isn't true. Sure, bad white washed movies don't make money, and all of those are bad on their own merits aside from any white washing. Edge of Tomorrow did well which was white washed. The Last Samurai did well which was white washed.

The fact is, there is a consistent pattern. They are paying attention. Actors/Actresses with little to no name recognition won't help sell your movie. Why do you think they're white washing these in the first place?

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
People already blaming the race debate for it's failure. When it really failed cause only an anime fan would see this film. It's competing against Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Boss Baby and Lego Batman. Of these 5 films only a Ghost in the Shell fan or someone wanting mindless action would see Ghost in the Shell. This film was never going to succeed in the west.

Maybe you mean in the U.S.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
NBlaze53 wrote:
People already blaming the race debate for it's failure. When it really failed cause only an anime fan would see this film. It's competing against Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Boss Baby and Lego Batman.

All but one of those movies had already been out for weeks before GitS came out, and it's not like there's a huge pre-existing Boss Baby fandom out there. I do think it was a mistake to spend $100 million+ on a lesser-known franchise, but the impact of the whitewashing controversy can't be ignored. Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.

School holidays? Most people can't afford the $20 ticket prices nowadays and only go see one or two movies. Kids will see Boss Baby. Adults will see Beauty and the Beast or Power Rangers for nostalgia and for comedy people will see Lego Batman. GitS has nothing that non-anime fans would want to see. And all those movie failed cause they're bad films, not cause of whitewashing. Dr. Strange was successful last year despite a whitewashing controversy.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
Dr. Strange was successful last year despite a whitewashing controversy.

That's because invoved a secondary character, not the main protagonist.
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:

School holidays? Most people can't afford the $20 ticket prices nowadays and only go see one or two movies. Kids will see Boss Baby. Adults will see Beauty and the Beast or Power Rangers for nostalgia and for comedy people will see Lego Batman. GitS has nothing that non-anime fans would want to see. And all those movie failed cause they're bad films, not cause of whitewashing. Dr. Strange was successful last year despite a whitewashing controversy.

but it is comic not some no one know movie
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
And all those movie failed cause they're bad films, not cause of whitewashing.

Exactly. If he actually looked at reviews for the crap tier movies he listed, he'd find them ripping the movies apart based on their merits not because of the race of the people in it. Some may mention white washing, but I guarantee none of them say how the movie was otherwise decent.

All that shows is that you can't white wash a turd into gold.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
The studios are faced with the daunting task of audiences demanding a big name vs steering clear of alienating core fans with accusations of whitewashing.
A way around this is having the director or executive producer being the big name. Alita had a shot at being more successful than GITS as long as James Cameron has still something to do with the project.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Well that's not as bad as I thought it was going to be but it's still quite a lot of money that Paramount will be losing. Hopefully next time they adept something into a movie they don't go half assed on the script and only focus on the visuals. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5