• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About the Woes of the Workplace

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
When it comes to workplace anime, there's also a nice little josei anime called Hataraki Man (2006). It's all about the things that happen as a female worker in a Japanese company.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
While it hasn't been animated, I remember a manga called 5-ji kara 9-ji made that relates fairly well to how being a ESL teacher is, although it does have a lot of off-work drama in it.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Good God the Anime Expo ad is making my eyes bleed. Turning off all page styles and extras for the next 2 weeks.

It's nice to see some love for Yugo the Negotiator. More people need to watch this. I think Planetes belongs on this list too, even if the jobs don't exist yet
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:

It's nice to see some love for Yugo the Negotiator. More people need to watch this. I think Planetes belongs on this list too, even if the jobs don't exist yet

Planetes on a spiritual level at least. On a more practical level there's Hanamaru Gakuen, the misadventures of a newbie Kindergarten teacher.

And then there's Dai Guard which wraps the office comedy around the giant robot genre. Hardly realistic but it's not like a realistic office setting would make for a good show.

Last week's poll went pretty much as I expected. As for my own answer, my example to which I compared the possibilities to was "Which teacher actually earned the bow similar to what Yukari got at the end of Azumanga Daioh?". Not just a card or a bouquet or even heartfelt thanks but acknowledgement of a fine performance and a deep debt owed. And after considering a couple of possibilities... I just went with Yukari.

Look, she helped teach Osaka, give the woman a medal for crying out loud...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I wanna call out the one person who voted for Hibiki from I My Me. Whoever you are, I find your decision funny.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
If you're talking about workplace anime, I'm surprised this list didn't include the obvious "Working!" and "New Game!" (though, admittedly, those did have a lot non-work related stories...)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Both those star high school kids, and I specifically wanted to focus on adults in the workplace. Great series, though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised New Game! Didn't crack the list. It's such an honest yet simple portrayal of workplaces and how normal and bland it can be.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Wagnaria???
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of these, and I probably never will. I'm sure they're great shows, but I just can't bring myself to come home from work and watch anime about... work.

Maybe in the future, a few years into retirement (assuming I last that long), I'll be able to watch them then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I second Hataraki Man and nominate Master Keaton for the List.

As for the new series, I only know three of them, and I'm looking forward to at least two of those! Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Both those star high school kids, and I specifically wanted to focus on adults in the workplace. Great series, though!

Working aside, New Game's characters all graduated high school at least, despite some of their character designs
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Working aside, New Game's characters all graduated high school at least, despite some of their character designs

Yeah, Aoba is stated to be 18, if I remember right, and her friend Nene, who chose to go to University instead of directly into the work-force, I would assume is the same age. Everyone else, who is notable in the show, is in their 20s.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
When it comes to workplace anime, there's also a nice little josei anime called Hataraki Man (2006). It's all about the things that happen as a female worker in a Japanese company.

What I was gonna say-Hataraki Man should definitely be on the list. Cool
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming the list is for workaday workplace dramas, not one-set Office-style comedies--
To which the everyday radio-station follies of Android Maico 2010 sprang first to mind.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Last week's poll went pretty much as I expected. As for my own answer, my example to which I compared the possibilities to was "Which teacher actually earned the bow similar to what Yukari got at the end of Azumanga Daioh?". Not just a card or a bouquet or even heartfelt thanks but acknowledgement of a fine performance and a deep debt owed. And after considering a couple of possibilities... I just went with Yukari.

Look, she helped teach Osaka, give the woman a medal for crying out loud...

Well, I wouldn't say Yukari is a role model for teaching...
As opposed to Cardcaptor Sakura's Ms. Mizuki, who seems like the dream "nice" teacher, even before we have nagging suspicions she might be more than that.

But yes, even for just current titles on the poll, Koro-sensei is "To Sir, With Tentacles". Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3