• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Hosts U.S. Premiere Screening of Lupin III Italian Game Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
Are they going to use the Italian TV music for this, too, like on Toonami, or will it actually have the Japanese soundtrack?

Okay, I know the home release will likely use the Japanese music. I'm bitter, sue me. I was really looking forward to watching Part IV on Toonami, and now that experience is ruined for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Are they going to use the Italian TV music for this, too, like on Toonami, or will it actually have the Japanese soundtrack?

Why'd the Italian broadcast have different music?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Why'd the Italian broadcast have different music?

Rights, maybe? Maybe the Japanese score wasn't entirely ready yet (it aired before the Japanese run)? Maybe the Italians just wanted to put their own mark on it? Who knows?

All I know is, the music in the Italian version is wallpaper at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
I hope we get this special on DVD/BD, too. While not particularly essential since it's mostly sewn together from recycled footage, I'm enough of a completionist to want it on my shelf.

It seems like TMS is really trying to make Lupin gain a foothold in the US lately. I hope they get some results since it's my favourite franchise at the moment.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
I really don't think TMS is doing the work to keep Lupin "alive" in the US so much as it is Discotek.

The character is just a hard sell in the States outside of the Castle of Cagliostro feature film and I don't quite understand why myself other than a bunch of people just don't give the series a chance. (I was guilty of turning the other way when Lupin was around... I really didn't get into the character until after the Toonami broadcasts of the Pioneer/Geneon dubs.) I've enjoyed it much more than James Bond and other live-action equivalents. I sloughed through even the lesser specials and movies and STILL love the character.

I'm kind of behind on my Discotek Lupin library, too. I have about maybe half their releases but feel glad I got their edition of Fuma Conspiracy while it was available. (Fingers crossed it MIGHT someday get a Blu ray update.)

I am more concerned right now with the status of the Lupin Series II release. So far, only one volume released out of a planned four... It's been about half a year now. I'm guessing set two will be later this year...?

Oh man, I have to get the last Lupin Blu ray release and the Detective Conan crossovers yet...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

The character is just a hard sell in the States outside of the Castle of Cagliostro feature film and I don't quite understand why myself other than a bunch of people just don't give the series a chance.

Simple it was a 1970's anime, that was being marketed for an audience that came up on DragonBall Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Inuyasha, Gundam Wing, etc

The show also being more comedy than action also probably didn't help.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
What on odyssey this special took to get out of Japan. Especially if i consider that 50% of it is recycled content. Eh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Okay, I know the home release will likely use the Japanese music.

I honestly have my doubts about that. Unless it was due to rights issues specifically over using the Japanese OST for international broadcast, the issue may also apply to international home releases as well. Or if that isn't the case, somebody may have deliberately made the decision to go with the Italian OST.

GeorgeC wrote:
I really didn't get into the character until after the Toonami broadcasts of the Pioneer/Geneon dubs.

Slight correction: It aired on Adult Swim while they had their "Adult Swim Action" sub-block. Lupin as a franchise didn't make its Toonami debut until last Saturday.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
The reason they used the Italian song for the broadcast is it's a marketing thing. The regular Lupin theme sounds a bit too similar to the one used for Mike Tyson Mysteries.

GeorgeC: The person who handles the Discotek Lupin packaging RT'ed a pic of the cover for the second collection not too long ago. But if you're jonesing for more of it *now*, then TMS is streaming the entire series on Crunchyroll.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I really don't think TMS is doing the work to keep Lupin "alive" in the US so much as it is Discotek.

I was mostly referring to recent Blue Jacket actions, not the steady releases that Discotek keeps pushing out and for which they deserve all the praise. I was under impression that it was TMS and not Discotek that wanted to have Blue Jacket dubbed (though I could be wrong since I can't find the source for this at the moment), and now this special getting released, complete with a new English site and all. It feels like an active effort to make Lupin bigger.

veemonjosh wrote:

I honestly have my doubts about that. Unless it was due to rights issues specifically over using the Japanese OST for international broadcast, the issue may also apply to international home releases as well. Or if that isn't the case, somebody may have deliberately made the decision to go with the Italian OST.

This thread has good news for the DVD/BD release, but it still seems a little unclear whether Ohno score will accompany the dub or only the sub.

Ashura wrote:
As we announced, the Japanese version will come out and it will have the Yuji Ohno score, subtitles, and touched up master. We're still figuring out the details for everything else, though, so that's all I can say. Due to the TV airing, the home video release won't be for a while though so we have time to do some extras and things for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll put it this way. If Discotek's home release doesn't include the Japanese score for both the JP and ENG language tracks, I will probably never buy another Discotek release again. This kind of bullshit in 2017 is unacceptable, and I don't want to hear any excuses about TMS. Either license it the right way or don't license it. There are plenty of other licensors out there who handle anime correctly, I could give them my business instead. This is a slap to the face to the fans and to the work itself. It shows absolute disrespect for the art form.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that a little harsh when we don't even know what the home video release will be like? I'm sure that if there are problems, they're higher up than the US publisher.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't have Toonami, all I can say is that I'm disappointed. But with the home release, if everything is the JP version I'll be ecstatic. I wanna give Discotek the benefit of the doubt and say that the worst case scenario would be the home release would have JP subs with Yuji Ohno, and EN with Italian video/music for those new fans who saw it on Toonami, liked it, and wanna see it again, just the way it was. I wanna believe Discotek respects Lupin enough and this is just some silly licensing crap between TMS, Italy, and International broadcasters.

And to be a little more on topic, while I haven't seen the special yet, I haven't heard good things about it, and a free shirt isn't enough to get me to pay $55 and stand in line for 2 hours.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Could this be the Lupin equivalent to The Italian Job? The two properties are of a similar age, come to think of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
And to be a little more on topic, while I haven't seen the special yet, I haven't heard good things about it, and a free shirt isn't enough to get me to pay $55 and stand in line for 2 hours.

Is that how much the screening will cost? Or do you mean a one-day pass to Anime Expo?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2