• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2017 Cosplay Gallery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there were so many asians in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

......... Why wouldn't there be?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
~

Wow... That's one of the most retarded things i've heard in a while, no offence. Neutral
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Such amazing cosplays! I didn't recognize most of them, but they were still cool! And some of what I did recognize I hadn't seen in a long while, like the Ranma 1/2 cosplays. That's pretty neat!
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Cali being one of the closest states in proximity to Asia doesn't ring any bells?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Well, Asians are about 5% of US's population but in that gallery they are like more than half. Maybe because Asian Americans tend to identify themselves more with Asian popular culture and so its more likely they will show up in these events?

Edit: I guess that implies that if I talk to a random asian american is much more likely that person will be into anime and manga?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

Well, Asians are about 5% of US's population but in that gallery they are like more than half. Maybe because Asian Americans tend to identify themselves more with Asian popular culture and so its more likely they will show up in these events?

Edit: I guess that implies that if I talk to a random asian american is much more likely that person will be into anime and manga?

Ah, I see where your original comment is coming from. While it's true that Asians make up ~5% of the US population, they make up about 15% of California, and about 26% of Los Angeles. So at an LA anime convention (which also gets a lot of visitors from the greater San Francisco area, which is 33% Asian), you'll probably see a higher percentage of Asians than some other parts of the country where the ethnic demographic is differently weighted. Asian-Americans also tend to live more in urban areas, where foreign pop culture is more readily available, so that may account for some of the sampling of Asian fans of Asian pop culture.

Because Anime Expo also attracts some overseas attendees, you also get some Asians (as opposed to Asian-Americans) from a handful of Southeast/East Asian/Pacific Islands who are here to visit.

If you talk to a random Asian-American, I don't know how likely it is that they would be into anime and manga. It would probably depend on a number of factors, including age, where they live, whether they live in an urban or rural or suburban area, what their friends are into, and basically the same handful of variables that would apply to any other demographic in the US.

If there was an offense taken by myself and other commenters in this forum to your initial comment, it's that it may have inadvertently come off as offensive, because there's a history in this country of implying that only white Americans are "Americans," when that doesn't reflect the demographic reality, or how many non-white Americans perceive themselves. Just like Brazil (judging from your forum location?)'s population has many diverse origins, including a history of colonialism, so to does the US.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I love the YuYu Hakusho cosplays, glad to see people still showing their appreciation for that series.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The Togepi Gijinka is quite an adorable sight! Anime catgrin The Togepi doll just adds to the cuteness.
NERVchild

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice selection of photos. Kudos to the photographer. In case any of the cosplayers are reading these posts:
Mad props to the trip doing Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It's rare to see anyone put in the costume, props, and makeup to make it work. Well done.
Liked the Berserker.
Awesome Inuyasha group.
I'm glad to see spoiler[Caroline] brought the cake. I'm sure it is delicious and moist.
Is that a father/daughter duo for Your Lie In April?
Good to see someone did a Princess Tutu cosplay.
To everyone, well done! Well Done!
Very Happy
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, I see where your original comment is coming from. While it's true that Asians make up ~5% of the US population, they make up about 15% of California, and about 26% of Los Angeles. So at an LA anime convention (which also gets a lot of visitors from the greater San Francisco area, which is 33% Asian), you'll probably see a higher percentage of Asians than some other parts of the country where the ethnic demographic is differently weighted. Asian-Americans also tend to live more in urban areas, where foreign pop culture is more readily available, so that may account for some of the sampling of Asian fans of Asian pop culture.

Because Anime Expo also attracts some overseas attendees, you also get some Asians (as opposed to Asian-Americans) from a handful of Southeast/East Asian/Pacific Islands who are here to visit.

I now it makes sense. I didn't know there were so many Asians in this region. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
If you talk to a random Asian-American, I don't know how likely it is that they would be into anime and manga. It would probably depend on a number of factors, including age, where they live, whether they live in an urban or rural or suburban area, what their friends are into, and basically the same handful of variables that would apply to any other demographic in the US.

I guess. But I would guess that in LA, Japanese visual culture is more popular than in the rest of the US.

Quote:
If there was an offense taken by myself and other commenters in this forum to your initial comment, it's that it may have inadvertently come off as offensive, because there's a history in this country of implying that only white Americans are "Americans," when that doesn't reflect the demographic reality, or how many non-white Americans perceive themselves. Just like Brazil (judging from your forum location?)'s population has many diverse origins, including a history of colonialism, so to does the US.

I see now how what I said could be perceived as offensive. If somebody said in reaction to some pictures of Brazil's ethnic Japanese community (the largest outside Japan) that "I didn't know there were so many Japanese in Brazil" I wouldn't feel the least insulted though.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I really liked those pre-built (and well-lit) cosplay sets over in the Entertainment Hall, especially the variety of locales/themes. AX also hired a company called Cospix to set up a booth with good cameras, a neutral backdrop, and good lighting, so you could get nice cosplay photos done for free, and then download them from their website.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Before the bashing of the opening poster continues,
I have to say I was surprised by the representation of Asians in the cosplay photos, too.

It does look more like a Japanese or Southeast Asian con.

That you would expect more Asians at a Cali-con is not a big surprise but it was not as big a presence there in the past (and frankly I don't care one way or the other).

I went to Anime Expo in 1994 and 1995 when it was significantly smaller.

Yes, there were a lot of Asian attendees but the percentages from what I recall were not like this... Definitely been a demographic shift in attendance as well as a DRAMATIC increase in attendees. (The increase in attendance would keep me away... I can't stand huge crowds and it gets stifingly hot. At the '95 Expo, the AC in the convention center was not working well! The local con in our area gets 20,000 people and that's still almost too much for me! There's no way I would go to SDCC which has insane attendance!) I would say there were still a fair amount of Asians (not that it bugs me either way) but it was not anything like half or more. I would say it was like 15-25% but who knows? I couldn't tell you -- it's not like I was measuring skin tans or anything like that -- I was there to watch and buy anime! I've been around Filipinnos who looked white, Mexican, or Chinese so what the hell do I know?

There was cosplay, too, but it was not anywhere near as prevalent as it is now.
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
yeah but that heracles is legit tho
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
I would have not expected to see a Gumby cosplayer photo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2