• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote

Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (TV)

Genres: adventure, psychological, slice of life
Themes: parables, tragedy, traveling

Plot Summary: "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is." A story about Kino, who travels around the world with nothing but her guns for protection and talking motorcycle Hermes. Kino travels to many mystical worlds, each with its unique customs and people, and learns about the world through their stories, at times conjuring humor and inspiration or other times piercing cynicism. However, Kino has her own custom, to stay no longer than three days in every town without exception, as it is enough time to learn almost everything important about the place while still leaving time to explore new lands.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Oh wow, this episode gave me nostologia. Kino's narration from the beginning, the atmospheric setting, and storytelling brings back a lot of memories from decades ago.

The visuals/animation looked good even after all these years. Even the music works well for the first episode imo so far. (I love the style of the ED theme song so far) Kino's character is exactly how I remember her as well in this anime. She hasn't changed and still rides her iconic bike with her gun.

Good start, can't wait to see more!

This first episode was also more violent than I had expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
I am not really familiar with this franchise, so I am coming in fresh, and I think that I will keep it that way for now, but I am liking what I am seeing. Chances are my wonderings of the series will come off as old cheese to those more familiar. Kino does seem to be an interesting character, one point being I am not sure what to refer to Kino has. Is Kino a boy or girl? Compared to Hermes Kino sounds much more feminine, but the females that appeared in the episode made Kino appear not so such. From the subs Hermes said "he" when referring to Kino just eating a desert, but I know that it would not be part of the Japanese dialogue as the language does not have words like "he" or "she", and Kino's ambiguity has kind of made it a more interesting character, not defined by the expectations.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Is Kino a boy or girl? Compared to Hermes Kino sounds much more feminine, but the females that appeared in the episode made Kino appear not so such. From the subs Hermes said "he" when referring to Kino just eating a desert, but I know that it would not be part of the Japanese dialogue as the language does not have words like "he" or "she", and Kino's ambiguity has kind of made it a more interesting character, not defined by the expectations.

So, Japanese actually does have words for he and she ("kare" and "kanojo"), but as you suspected, Hermes did not use any gender-specific terms in that particular line. (Nor does he ever refer to Kino with any gender-specific terminology.)

As to Kino's gender: it's never really specified out loud. Questions regarding it are generally just answered with "I'm Kino." Going by the backstory episode in the original series, Kino is definitely AFAB, but the common fan interpretation I've seen is that Kino is masculine-presenting gender neutral. (Well, I'm not 100% how common it is, in general I see fans referring to Kino with either "they" or "she".)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So what is the point made? Because it seems pretty clear that despite the framing, the moving country was awfully disruptive in a way not excused by their reasoning of traveling, the build up of power sounding like an excuse rather than reasoning. They destroy farmland and other infrastructure that is unreasonable, even to the country that seemed especially aggressive. There was like this sense of dissonance as they called the other country as being unfairly cruel for targeting the mural, as they were instead damaging their countryside. But at the end it was kind of pointed out that the other country was likely being disruptive in charging high taxes for those moving through.

Kind of looked like it was maybe saying that everyone can cause trouble for others, those who win might only be the strongest, that kind intentions might help to lower collateral, it is not always the case where a lack of respect may still be a case. Does Kino's strong abilities with weapons make Kino any more right? Maybe only can give some praise that Kino could do worse.
Akaname

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

As to Kino's gender: it's never really specified out loud. Questions regarding it are generally just answered with "I'm Kino." Going by the backstory episode in the original series, Kino is definitely AFAB, but the common fan interpretation I've seen is that Kino is masculine-presenting gender neutral. (Well, I'm not 100% how common it is, in general I see fans referring to Kino with either "they" or "she".)

spoiler[You seriously referred to Kino as "it". "It" is a she, as in...wait for it...female. AFAB? Please provide some facts reinforcing that she is anything other than female. At no point does she claim be be anything else, although she may purposely mislead others.]

spoiler[And if you think an anime character needs gender neutral pronouns, I mourn for the world I have always known, because it's too far removed from reality to ever be saved.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Lies, within lies, within lies. And yet, none of them actually seem cruel, especially the larger picture. Although maybe feels a bit unnecessary.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

So this was Kino's backstory, what helped shape her into who she is today. A young girl in a country where children are at a time forced to become adults, where being an adult means they seem to be stripped of their individuality of who they were, and made that they "can" (will have to) do things they do not like. It actually touched on an interesting phenomena on a general term I think to how you can see older generations get upset at newer generations for turning their back on practices that the older generation felt was important. You may specifically see people get upset like the child is insulting the adult personally, and the adult fears that it threatens their own worthiness if the things they were made to do were shown not to be important. They attribute all the good that they are to something they endured, and attribute the perceived evil in others to the lack of such.

But there is I think a personal message that I somewhat believe, that you really should enjoy what you do in life, that you can be an adult who does what they like, you are allowed to do that. And it can be different for different people, relevant for myself with work I have been doing recently. Like yesterday I spent quite a bit of time going through a database, finding some reference numbers, trying to find duplicate group names that may have just been entered differently, and finding out whether I should change their classification in whether they are a government organization. Things that to some people would be a total bore, but honestly I actually really enjoy that sort of thing, sure not everything I had been doing there was fun, I spent previous days there manually going into I think it was like 6,000 separate records to change a single thing, but I can still enjoy the rest of parts.

Anyway, another part was a reveal that Kino is indeed a girl, and was a very pretty one with a name of a flower. Later adopting the name of the man who showed her that she does not need to "grow up" and saved her from the adults who would rather see her dead than supposedly an embarrassment (even question their ways).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That action sequence was amazing. Kino fought one of the toughest opponents yet, a flock of sheep. Like the meanest sheep since the movie Black Sheep.. Seeing it be so serious in the sheep starting to pose a threat and such a serious fight, really made me laugh with their sort of cute voices, Kino finally in a confrontation with gunning them down. The question left was why would the sheep so pointlessly start the fight, and then shown with a past about the next city, that sometimes people cause something pretty much for no reason.

I saw some of the episode review thread and saw the talk about how the original did things better or something, but me with no other introduction found it plenty serviceable. There was nothing wrong with it left to last week what Kino's past was, and then think about what that meant for the episode the week before. The show looked generally good, and the stories played out well. The only problem I might have in the end is thinking of what a totally cohesive message might be for the series. Something about how you can change some things depending on how you look at them, treasuring something like freedom, maybe that everyone has a story, or that maybe that some things are in a way pointless. The people in the country created the sheep problem, and more trouble caused by a animal rights group which you would think should only want the best. That last one though does not make me think too positively though. I am also not sure what we gained from switching over to the B group. And is not like Kino had any real major code other than travel code.

I will rate it Decent (6/10), I don't think you would lose your time watching it, and there is nothing offensive that might get you mad, but by same token I don't think it has anything that would greatly surprise someone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1