• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pacific Rim Uprising Director: Crossover With Godzilla/King Kong is 'Possible'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
hell as long as there's a Japanese piloted Jager named "Jet Jaguar" in said crossover I'd be happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't go giving them ideas. Razz

Mark Gosdin
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "Possible", as in "Warner didn't greenlight a Pacific Rim sequel for any OTHER remote earthly reason...."

(Sort of like "Gee, d'you think Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy' was meant to set up more monster movies?" Laughing )
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Where do I sign for this ?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm doubtful the new talent even knows the appeal of giant robots yet, with all these sleek slender robots. They're getting ahead of themselves. Don't pull do an Infaune.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
"They spent so much time in wondering if they could do it, they never thought about if they should."

Another fan service film where we can have two IPs meet, fight and then part with no satisfying conclusion. We could always have a Michael Myers/King Kong crossover, wouldn't be any less silly.

"What do you mean? This is the perfect crossover! The greatest giant monsters of all time versus the kaiju killing jaegers... Oh." Yup. Either neuter the Jaegers or kill the leads, what's your poison?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Either neuter the Jaegers or kill the leads, what's your poison?

You do understand how crossovers like these work, right? Sure, there would be an initial fight between the lead monsters & robots, but then a threat to both of them would appear, usually interrupting the aforementioned fight so that there's no definitive winner, resulting the two forces working together to save the day, followed by them going their own separate ways. Yes, it might be a bit tried, but it's no less effective & results in generally consistent fun.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Typically in an SRW game, which are the kings of crossovers, often time related storylines are the things crossed over, so we get to relive the original stories of everyone involved with the added layers of now meeting their genre peers. There's a reason they have kept that franchise alive.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I see two ways to do a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover.

A) Just have Godzilla show up in the Pacific Rim future, just because.

B) Godzilla 3 tells a 'mechaGodzilla' story. But the Mecha Godzilla is a protoype Jaeger. Then you can say that after The Breach opens in the Pacific Rim prologue, the reason humans got mecha technology up and running so fast, was because of this previous encounter with Godzilla and other MUTOs.

And then that leaves the door open for Godzilla/Kong to reappear in the Pacfic Rim future in yet another crossover adventure.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Either neuter the Jaegers or kill the leads, what's your poison?

You do understand how crossovers like these work, right? Sure, there would be an initial fight between the lead monsters & robots, but then a threat to both of them would appear, usually interrupting the aforementioned fight so that there's no definitive winner, resulting the two forces working together to save the day, followed by them going their own separate ways. Yes, it might be a bit tried, but it's no less effective & results in generally consistent fun.

This is inevitably how Godzilla/King Kong is going to go down. Zilla and Kong tussle, King Giddorah shows up, wrecks them individually. Godzilla/Kong team up to take the golden dragon down.

So its basically going to be Thor Ragnorok. Or the Raditz Saga.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

This is inevitably how Godzilla/King Kong is going to go down. Zilla and Kong tussle, King Giddorah shows up, wrecks them individually. Godzilla/Kong team up to take the golden dragon down.

So its basically going to be Thor Ragnorok. Or the Raditz Saga.

From the studio that gave you "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice".

Save Mothra. Razz
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
The idea seems interesting. I think it'd be cool for the crossover to happy.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
Sure. I’ll buy a ticket. It’ll be the most mind numbingly dumb but AWESOME thing ever.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Whenever I read or hear of yet another Hollywood sequel I think of Nausicaa's Sea Of Corruption. No good is going to come of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1