• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evil or Live (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote

Evil or Live (TV)

Genres: Horror
Objectionable content: Significant

Plot Summary: In modern society, a new kind of “illness” is striking young boys and girls; loneliness, disbelief and outrage push this generation to get more and more attached to Internet and technology. The experts call it “Net Addiction.” To prevent that, a certain rehabilitation facility has been set up to “lead the youth back to the right path.” Enrolled to treat his addiction, Hibiki had no idea that this rehabilitation facility is nothing more than a prison.
----------------------------------

This is tagged under horror, but it ought to also have a comedy tag, because it's definitely aiming to be funny and not just funny because it's terrible. Three episodes in and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The first episode was pretty mundane, but at least twice now, they've genuinely surprised me with unexpected twists I wouldn't have seen coming in a million years. Part of that is because no one acts like this, but part is due to their willingness to completely upend the cliches they deal in, just for the wtf of it.

Like I defy anyone to tell me they predicted the outcome of spoiler[Hibiki's new roommates' attack on him] in episode 3. They set that up for almost half the episode, and then just left me blinking at the screen wondering what just happened, before bursting out laughing. And yet, given the background, it had a weird kind of logic, or at least just enough to make it still funny and not eye-rolling.

Then there's the stuff that's unexpected because no one was thinking about continuity, like when Hibiki, standing at the back of a pack of kids, sees another kid at the front throw a rock at a girl, and Hibiki outruns it, to be clocked in the face after he sets up to protect her. Rolling Eyes Those things are good for a laugh too, but of a different kind.

It's an Emon/Haoliners/Tencent joint, so you know going in the animation will be total crap, but for some reason they decided to letterbox it like it's cinema, and its odd flicker, especially in darker scenes, does frequently feel like it's showing on a projector with its bulb about ready to burn out. I think the latter is not intentional, but an artifact of piss-poor color matching between frames?

Anyway, I made this because it seemed like they were going to pull something I had to talk about for one reason or another, every week. Check it out if you have time, or just need some stupid to chill after a hard day. The only warning I think I'd give so far is they do like to get kinda rapey for the shock/drama, though no one has been raped yet. I think it's going to stay that way, but they do keep surprising me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Gina, thank you for overcoming your natural sloth and making this thread. I salute thee.

Yes, this is Haoliners crap, but at least relative to its other excrable offerings, it is watchable. I also think that not all of the comedy is unintentional. I'm pretty sure the mutual vomiting during the most inept seduction attempt of all time was supposed to be funny.

We need more of Big Titty Warden though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Collecting the "evidence" was pretty funny too, in an "I can't believe they're doing this" way.

It's not sloth, I just don't like seeing my name stuck up there. But I also cringed when I saw that Tony had added that I requested it when he made a couple of threads for me, so I figured I might as well just do it myself. Heck, sometimes I don't post just to keep from being the last person listed in a series of threads in my tracker. My aversion to this is even stronger when it's my real name. Smile If I'd known when I signed up that I could have a screenname like #87384736 I would have.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
You mean Gina Szanboti isn't your real name??? Gawd no wonder my attempts at identity theft have gone no where? Why are you so adverse to seeing your username? You weirdo. I'm closing in on 20,000 posts, so it's clearly not a problem I suffer from. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I dunno. I'm a weird mash-up of sociable and reclusive. I was insanely secretive even as a kid. I have no idea where that comes from or how I survived before the internet. Laughing

Anyway back OT, Episode 4 was not nearly as wtf as previous episodes, relying more heavily on prison movie tropes. But the ending was pretty good. I like badass Hibiki. Smile

I didn't get why karate girl was so easily taken down by the wimpy phone-phreak girl. Not much of that scene made sense though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Not that I've been a fan of any episode so far, but episode 4 was particularly meh for me. It didn't have fun stuff like mutual vomiting and a good chunk of it was given over to the usual: "we're going to be put the MC through a ridiculous amount of pain and humiliation to really underscore his powerlessness." Bah.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

For me, this show seems to swing between being stupid yet somewhat amusing and being stupid but not amusing at all. Episode 6 fell into the latter category. I really don't get all this business about smuggling/trading/buying cell phones when it was revealed that the "school' blocks radiowaves and they can't be used in any case. Duh. And now we're back to MC being forced to do something humiliating with/to Shiori again. Unless there is some mutual vomiting once more, I don't see the point in revisiting this scenario. Blech.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I know it seems like it's been longer, but it's only episode 6. Smile

I'm hoping for some more wtf for him to get out of this, because you know he will. As for the phone thing, that's kinda baffling too, although Shin said something about a password, and the chibi girl had a way around it as well. What I'm wondering is why Shiori is there at all if her parents are dead. Who sent her up? I thought parents had to pay to have their kids locked up there.

We also got more confirmation that Hibiki can move faster than the speed of light. But I guess this time he didn't have to run quite as far as the thrown rock to intercept a kick already in progress.

Man, they aren't even trying with the animation anymore.

Not to mention that his bruises and ketchup stains all magically disappeared in time for the chibi girl to go nuts over him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I had the same thought about Shiori and her parents. Presumably, she has a guardian who sent her to the Big House. Frankly, I have a hard time imagining her as somebody so cellphone addicted she was a candidate for reformation. I think there's a bit of a story there that we may eventually find out. Or not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Well, I was afraid they wouldn't be able to keep it up. It's pretty much turned into a boilerplate prison movie, although it's still good for a chuckle here and there, like the amazing afro chest and pit hair of Jean's client. Very Happy I presume he was supposed to be American or European?

I'm expecting Hibiki to come out of solitary all buff and stuff and ready to rumble. ♪ In just 7 days, I can make you a ma-a-a-a-an...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
My guess is that Armpit Bush was the spy who caused the death of her father. And in a hell-hole like that, wouldn't solitary confinement actually be a reward? Two weeks of not being relentlessly bullied? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Is it just me, or did they hand off the animation to a whole new team? All the character designs looked a little bit off somehow, but maybe that's just from skipping a week or something. Or maybe they had to get a new crew and that's why there was a recap episode last week. When so little effort is put into the animation to begin with, it's hard to see how they could fall behind badly enough to need a recap ep.

Well, at least they answered the question of who put Shiori in there. Other than that, not much to write home about now. It's just so bizarre that so much of the plot in this revolves around cell phones that pretty much no one can use.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote

Well, that was...an ending. Did Hibiki and Shin just burn up, bros to the death?

Well, this started with a bang, but just fizzled out in the middle and limped to the finish line, as did most of the characters. Never change, Haoliners.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The way this show ended(?) makes me think that some fiendish plot is afoot to serve up another helping of this show... God forbid. Still, thanks to King's Game, this show didn't end up being the worst of the season that I inexplicably watched to completion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1