• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Detective Conan Manga Creator Works 20 Hours Per Day, 5 Days Per Week

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
That's insane. Everything I read about a mangaka's life is insane!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
With so little consistent sleep, he is quite literally killing himself for his manga. Sad And his is not even among the most hyper-detailed art styles in the industry!
Skydrop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
whoa there! he has been doing this for 20 years! It seems long running manga like DC, OP is harder to make than we thought. Interested to know about Hajime no Ippo's author someday...
nogara119

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile Toguchi is like, 'SUCKERS Razz Razz Razz '
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sleeping habits like that is pretty much asking for an early grave. High chance that his cause of death will be a sudden heart attack, sooner rather than later...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
That’s INSANE. I’m surprised both he and Oda haven’t dropped dead from overwork.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
And his is not even among the most hyper-detailed art styles in the industry!

While his art is not crazy detailed, Aoyama's artstyle is quite consistent over the years.

But seriously, as the others have stated, it's not a healthy work ethics and lifestyle.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the possibility that his sleeping time and his productive time is the other way around for my current case, that does sound unhealthy!

But I wonder if he's actually okay with that. I mean he's been doing it for a long time, and still doesn't show any clue the manga is nearing its end. And if I remember correctly, the ANN once reported that he even drew manga during his recovery time in the hospital, since he's eager to do so Shocked
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I call BS.No way someone could that way for that long and still be alive.I say he is over blowing how many hours he actually works.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
That’s INSANE. I’m surprised both he and Oda haven’t dropped dead from overwork.

I agree. It's amazing yet shocking that they're still keeping at it!
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, Detective Conan is one of my favorite series, have been enjoying it since grade school and reading this makes me respect Aoyama more. It's not surprise to see he takes a break time to time. 20 hours per day and he has to come up with those criminal tricks. Mad respect for you.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
We honestly need more inside interviews like these, it will give some people much more appreciation about the works of a mangaka.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
This only brings to mind Shigeru Mizuki's remark about his peers' habitual sleeplessness: “I sleep nine hours a day and look at me now — everyone else is dead!”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:

For context, it's Chihayafuru's author, and she tweeted that she was working hard and nearing a deadline, so she's going to sleep and wake up to work some more.

As someone who self-published a doujinshi in Japan, I'm really starting to understand what these people go through. As an extreme example, I once woke up on a day off at around 7am and just felt like working on it. There was a Pokemon marathon that day, so I kept the tv on in the background and got through about 10 pages of basic manuscript before I ended on the following morning at 6am. I was so engrossed, I didn't even eat or nap. But heck, I spent the next day sleeping until the evening, and when I woke up, I just looked at what I did and thought, "Wait, THIS is what I spent a whole day on!?" Just 10 pages of a 16 page work. Rough manuscript only. I'm a novice and I worked alone, but GOD...

Oh, and for aspiring doujinshi authors, if you don't have the money to hire someone to print copies for you, prepare to spend an entire day or two in the printing shop without rest. Those scenes in Comic Party where they print hundreds of copies last minute overnight are a LIE...

And here I am, already working on my next work. It's hard and demanding, but if nothing else, it's immensely satisfying and highly addicting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2