• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote

DARLING in the FRANXX (TV)

Genres: action, drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, growing up pains, mecha, robot girl, super robot

Plot Summary: In the distant future the land is ruined and humanity establishes the mobile fort city Plantation. Pilots produced inside Plantation live in Mistilteinn, also know as the "birdcage." Children live there knowing nothing of the outside world or the freedom of the sky. Their lives consist of battling to carry out missions. Their enemies are mysterious giant lifeforms known as Kyōryū, and the children pilot robots called Franxx to face off against them. For the children, riding the Franxx proves their existence. A boy named Hiro is called Code:016, and he was once known as a prodigy. However, he has fallen behind, and his existence seems unnecessary. Not piloting a Franxx is the same as ceasing to exist. One day, a mysterious girl known as "Zero Two" appears before him. Two horns grow out of her head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Now this is quite an episode. The setting is interesting from what it has shown so far and the story consists of young people who are without freedom but instead have to be pilots to fight for a mysterious enemy.

Zero 2's introduction almost made me laugh a bit. She pops up from the water lewd! I find her character personality rather peculiar yet entertaining to watch so far.

The sci-fi elements seems interesting esecially with the technology. I'm also interested in knowing more about the other characters since they're still so young. The action picked up its momentum in this episode already and so far, I think it's intense.

Looking forward to more for sure. Zero 2 is a character I really want to know about more this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Original anime by TRIGGER?

Hell yes, count me in. xD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've watched a good mecha - woo-hoo! Gotta love Trigger. I'm telling you, this Winter is an amazing season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Lol yeah and is it just me or does giving a mech a pair of humanoid eyes suddenly make it weirdly adorable? xD

(new species of pokemon!!)
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Lol because of course he had to walk in on her naked from the get go.

Kinda wish Hiro's motivation for piloting the Franxx was that the monster presumably killed his closest friend right in front of him, but oh well. It was still fairly interesting, and Trigger animation is definitely a style I love, so I'll be watching this throughout the season. Hopefully episode 2 focuses more on the supporting cast, and we get to see what was inside that secret box.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Shades of Kill La Kill and a touch of Freezing is my impression so far lol.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The heroine gets seen naked and doesn't freak out? She gets high marks already.

Though I can't stop being distracted by how much the main mech is basically Tauburn.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
WhoaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! That's some freaking awesome animation!!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
I should hate myself. Because it was not until the mech was fighting that I started to feel an inclination, and when it transformed that I went "this kind of feels like a Trigger anime". Because of course only after the episode I find out it was a Trigger anime, I guess balanced out a bit by A-1, that they are probably aiming for a best of both worlds, the artistic talents of the first and the broad appeal of the second. But really the action scene had me totally enthralled.

Another strange awareness in the episode was that what the characters think of as normal as decided by the adults and leaders, is kind of messed up. The deciding of worth of the youth, descrbed as Parasites, and that they are expected to sacrifice themselves. I am still not so sure where those who failed were being sent, and exactly what was the nature of who's 'fault' it was that they failed. He was being allowed to stay, but she was not, and she was regretting that she had to be partnered with him. I would kind of hope we would have some closure of what happened with her.

Our heroine, 002, is pretty cool though, I like her horns.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The adult in me is disappointed with the overt regimentation of gender binaries and the implicitly heterosexist piloting framework. But the kid in me loves the art style, the action, and the other stuff Vaisaga mentioned...

Vaisaga wrote:
The heroine gets seen naked and doesn't freak out? She gets high marks already.

Though I can't stop being distracted by how much the main mech is basically Tauburn.

Still, way to literally spoiler[trash the original woman Naomi and conveniently clear the way for 02]. That felt cheap.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Our heroine, 002, is pretty cool though, I like her horns.

She seems like what you would get if you cloned a girl with the DNA of Haruharu Haruko from FLCL and Lucy from Elfen Lied. Anime hyper

Quote:
implicitly heterosexist piloting framework.

I knew someone was going to complain about this. Rolling Eyes
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I knew someone knew someone was going to complain about that. But I'm contractually obligated to do that anyway. Feels a lot like Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog clocking into work, really.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I knew someone knew someone was going to complain about that. But I'm contractually obligated to do that anyway. Feels a lot like Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog clocking into work, really.

I knew someone knew someone knew someone was going to complain about that... HOW LONG CAN WE KEEP THE CHAIN GOING??? Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I knew... But no, in all seriousness we're in a post apocalyptic world. Is it so surprising such a society would enforce such norms to ensure that the race continues? Sure it seems counter productive to then send those kids out to potentially die, but still.

But who knows? Maybe one of the characters will turn out to be gay and the show will explore the struggles of living in a world where you can't be who you are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10