• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
After the Rain (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote

After the Rain (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: age-gap relationship, café

Plot Summary: 17-year-old high school student Akira Tachibana is a girl who barely expresses herself. She harbors a secret crush on Masami Kondō, the 45-year-old manager of the family restaurant she works at part-time. (from manga)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

It's out on Amazon now. Great start so far. I love the amount of realism and character expressions from this episode especially coming from Akira. The moments when she reacted to the manager's family life is quite interesting to take notice. Not to mention, I like the character chemistry between her and Masami already.

The comedy is light so far but I'm surprised how real the episode felt. The setting, dialogues, and character interactions all have my interest so far.

Music and artwork works so far for this show too. The OP song is colorful while the ED by Aimer matches the mood of the episode perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched it but the idea of a teenager crushing on a man old enough to be her father is just plain WHAT THE F**K. Shocked

I could not relate to this. It'd be different if she was in her 20s....or if he was just 30....but no.
17 and 45!?
That's a 28 years gap.
*shudders*
Just no.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think it looks horrible, it actually has some nice aesthetics. I was particularly fond of a scene where we switched to POV when other girls walked in to kind of show this distance between her and them. And the main character is not bad, really.

but that crush she has on a man so much older than her while she is just a teenager. Well it really does not look healthy that she is entertaining it, but not like I think it is entirely immoral on her side. On his side though, well he does not really seem like a bad guy, but will be total trash if he does not make it very clear how things should go the moment he finds out what her feelings are and he can do so without embarrassing her. It looks like he showed kindness at a time she was going through something personal, but that is right in that she cannot make the sort of decisions that he can, and would be very improper to entertain it.

Maybe an older guy could have a sort of positive thing like a father figure or the like, if she has any problems of her own, but will get icky if this show plans to romanticises it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Maybe an older guy could have a sort of positive thing like a father figure or the like, if she has any problems of her own, but will get icky if this show plans to romanticises it.

I agree but.....here's the thing.

Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, this kind of relationship is permitted in Japan. As long as the girl is 16 or older, and the male partner is 18 or older, they could legally get married. Remember in SAO how Asuna was betrothed to creepy whatshisface.

Shocked

So a teenager COULD date or marry an old man, in theory. At least, I think so. I wonder what ANN's reviewers will say about it. This is what angered me about Usagi Drop's manga though spoiler[Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.] Bleh. xD
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
There's a term I tend to use for this sort of thing, and that's "over-directed." Where every little thing is given way too much emphasis and fluff and stuff, and it just gets in the way of the story (which was barely there this episode). The first 2 minutes were especially insufferable for me.

I like the cast ( especially the manager and the high school boy whos only there for comic relief right now), but the main girl made me roll my eyes at least 20 times despite only having a minutes worth of dialogue. And I honestly can't stand the character designs.

With so little given to us, I have no idea what direction this series will most likely head in, but I don't wanna sour this thread any further by tuning in to find out, so I'll just stay away from this series.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan of the manga, I'm really happy with how the first episode turned out. From nailing Tachibana's unintentional intense expressions to the feeling of isolation and listlessness that the manga conveyed. Can't wait to see more!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I dig it. I get why some people are turned off by the premise, but frankly, so far, the way it's being handled doesn't feel creepy to me. On the conceptual level, yes, but on the execution level, no. I feel for the poor high school schmo who has a crush on her, though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel for the poor high school schmo who has a crush on her, though.

If I was watching this, I'd be in the same boat as you. xD

Checking out official website for the helluva it....

Ew, Akira has bad taste; this old guy she's crushing on isn't even GOOD-looking. o____O like...........really girl? What a weirdo. Rolling Eyes

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I take my leave of this thread since I'm not really watching it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I feel like the manager and her relationship feels more natural after this week's episode. The laugh she gave came out naturally but also, the confession came out too.

Also really liked the scene when Akira was running. It felt like she really wanted to help out the customers and also prove herself to the manager.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo, she confessed! Too bad Manager was too clueless to figure it out. Some nice little touches. Like when Tachibana picks up the phone and realizes it's him on the line, she modestly tugs down her shirt. Wink Also liked that she wasn't embarrassed for him to see her scar... she just didn't want him to see her unpainted toenails - so girly!
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
I know Japan has a low street crime rate, but could a kid really leave their DS sitting in the back seat of the car and not have it ripped off?

phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've already read the manga, it's like reading it for the first time again seeing it animated. I love the sparkle and light effects for this show.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Really liking how well done the rain is. It seems so life like.

Kondo's inner monologue does a good job of building on his character. One of the things I love about this series is how it contrasts Akira's decision to kind of burn bridges with her past as opposed to Kondo's longing for his youth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
Show continues to handle it's potentially squicky premise quite well. Once Kondo finally realizes that Akira "likes" likes him, he has very appropriate reactions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2