• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Online Store Suffers Data Breaches, Customer Information Compromised

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
I bet it was revenge for never releasing Nyaruko F
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yikes. Never liked their anime-related business practices, but still, hope all goes well for them.
gacha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
This is the divine punishment for trampling over their vita fanbase with that Coven announcement. I expect the worst is yet to come.
srlracing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
I have to applaud how well they handles this. I received an exhaustive report via email this morning and I have not purchased anything through their online store in probably over 2 years. From the time they discovered the breach to rectifying the issue and giving an exhaustive report to any customers potentially effected by the breach within a few days is top notch crisis management. Hopefully they put even better practices in place to both prevent it from happening again and to catch it faster if and when it does happen.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
I got an email this morning also, I didn't buy anything in years from them. The past year I started to mostly use Paypal for online orders. I believe its only a matter of time before Rightstuf and Crunchyroll is a target. Two Step Security should be a must for any retailer that is serious about security, not that it would help all hacking.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Fortunately I have not ordered from that store so I'm not affected by this.

Though there is another situation brewing elsewhere. Word on the street is DMI/DMP has collapsed along with their active kickstarter projects, and if that is true there is no doubt their online stores(emanga, junemanga) will follow shortly. So anyone who have made recent purchases might want to keep a close eye on things so their data doesn't fall into wrong hands. I have made a few purchases at emanga before, but fortunately it was with my previous card.

I still hope against hope this is just a false alarm as I still want to believe in the Kodomo no Jikan kickstarter to come to fruition as a backer. But, the comment threads on the different campaigns have been a purr the last week, and to say the situation looks grim is an understatement...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
gacha wrote:
This is the divine punishment for trampling over their vita fanbase with that Coven announcement.

Seriously? I'm pretty sure the customers whose credit card information was stolen are the most affected here. If the person/people who did this are actually thinking this is how you "get back" at NISA, they're delusional fools in addition to being criminals.
cche7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
After the Yahoo and Equifax fiasco, you'd think companies would look at what happened to them and take proactive measures to make sure it doesn't happen to them. But no, let's wait until someone hacks before we lock down and secure our systems.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:

that i have my doubts. regardless i am kinda glad i don't have a credit card. but can those hackers steal someone's ID from just their address ALONE or name?

and what about 3rd party information like a PSN or Xbox live account cause i have all of my gaming and social accounts linked with my NIS account. are they compromised as well???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
cche7 wrote:
After the Yahoo and Equifax fiasco, you'd think companies would look at what happened to them and take proactive measures to make sure it doesn't happen to them. But no, let's wait until someone hacks before we lock down and secure our systems.

This. This should be priority #1.

Not only does it concern many people, those who had their information stolen, need to be notified asap, not weeks or months later. It also needs to be on an individual level, not a large scale. With Equifax, they said nearly a third of the US citizens were affected, but they didn't specify who they were. You couldn't even ask without being given the "if you ask, you can't hold us liable for the breach" nonsense.

We now live in the 21st century. Data security must evolve, just as new ways to crack them will. Don't wait until you need to evole it because of a breach.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:

that i have my doubts. regardless i am kinda glad i don't have a credit card. but can those hackers steal someone's ID from just their address ALONE or name?

and what about 3rd party information like a PSN or Xbox live account cause i have all of my gaming and social accounts linked with my NIS account. are they compromised as well???

I know PSN has "Two Step authentication" use it!
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate that this happened. Why would these individuals do such a thing?
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
gacha wrote:
This is the divine punishment for trampling over their vita fanbase with that Coven announcement. I expect the worst is yet to come.

Are you sure you aren't the guy responsible?

Sounds exactly like the inane, insane mental argument the basement dweller who did this would concoct in their mind to justify doing such a thing. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1