• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys-Love Manga Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu. Gets TV Anime Adaptation This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Can there be any boys-love that isn't abusive, weird age gap, or blackmailing garbage?
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Can there be any boys-love that isn't abusive, weird age gap, or blackmailing garbage?

There are plenty.

The problem is that that's not what the fujos want to read.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

There are plenty.

Pretty much this. I feel the same way about shoujo manga readers in Japan too.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

There are plenty.

Yet the highest grossing BL anime is has no such thing.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Ugh only the bl manga that I pass over keep getting anime adaptions Crying or Very sad
We want sweet romance bl anime too...I'd kill for something like Yamada to Shonen to be adapted, or anything by Ichikawa Kei.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think the plot sounds so much like Zoolander?

...... seriously, though. (and I don't know if ^^ is talking about the teacher/student one, or the doctor/patient one, but either of those are just as bad).

You know, I don't like pure, vanilla, high-school-love-confession stuff either, but there are ways to have conflicts in a romantic story that don't involve creepy stuff. Like, they're on opposite sides in a war, and falling in love means betraying their countries... but due to their love, they realize how bad the war is. That's tried and true, but it can still be done well - and it can even be done without one of them getting the other one as a slave.

(Also, less problematic BL relationship - in StarMyu season 2, (.... seriously, though, watch it, don't spoil yourself). spoiler[Otori keeps insisting he's not Hoshitani's teacher anymore, and waits until Hoshitani's ready to hear it before confessing his love. He even thinks Hoshitani's rejected him, and accepts it, until someone tells him not to give up. Also, the way the show uses the play to show Hoshitani as Otori's equal, and not as his "shadow". ]) ..... StarMyu is just a really good show and it deserves more love, both as a romance and as a well-written story.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

There are plenty.

Eh, a very recent poll conducted by Anime!Anime! had Honto Yajuu (a BL manga pretty much devoid of any sort of abuse or toxic behavior) voted as #2 on-going manga that people want to see made into an anime, not in the BL category, but like, out of everything out there. The only manga that had more votes was Shonen Jump's newest hit Promised Neverland. So no, fujos don't just want the abusive stuff, Yamamoto Kotetsuko is a very popular mangaka with a lot of beloved BL manga, many of which don't have any abusive elements
Sicilica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
So happy to hear this!

...still waiting for Zaria's works to turn into anime...
And I'm still hoping to see adaption of any Yamamoto Kotetsuko's works too (preferably Mad Cinderella or Honto Yajuu!)
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
ANN, I respect your translators but "dakaretai otoko" definitely DOESN'T mean "huggable man". It's "the man I'd like to be screwed by the most". I know that's not PG-13, but also those Japanese gay crush polls are definitely not as innocent as hugging. The whole idea is that straight man vote for the one guy they'd "go gay for". Just clarifying that.
MF65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
wohdin wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

There are plenty.

Eh, a very recent poll conducted by Anime!Anime! had Honto Yajuu (a BL manga pretty much devoid of any sort of abuse or toxic behavior) voted as #2 on-going manga that people want to see made into an anime, not in the BL category, but like, out of everything out there. The only manga that had more votes was Shonen Jump's newest hit Promised Neverland. So no, fujos don't just want the abusive stuff, Yamamoto Kotetsuko is a very popular mangaka with a lot of beloved BL manga, many of which don't have any abusive elements

The results for a similar poll were announced at anime Japan this weekend, and 10 Dance came in first. So I honestly don't understand why only these "rape is love" trash keep getting anime adaptations. Especially when they keep flopping.
Kii Kanna and Nojiko Hayakawa write such heart-warming stories! Hidamari ga Kikoeru got a live-action adaptation just last year and would be great in anime form too. Yamamoto Kotesuko is great at comedy, and most of her stuff is long enough to get more than a 12 episodes season. Even if they don't want to go for the sweet/romantic comedy type, why not adapt something with a strong plot like Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai? It's just so frustrating.
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
^This "rape is love" certain title (Dakaretai) happen to be one of the best selling BL manga in Japan right now beside the already finished Ten Count. So, it's not like Aniplex just throw darts at random BL title and pick any random titles among many:wink:. It says right there in the article with only 4 volume but already being printed around 2 million copies (those are real numbers).

If you follow oricon chart then you know that Dakaretai manga vols sold around +200 (more) copies each (this without counting the digital sales number) even without any anime beforehand, that's a huge number for such a niche demographic like BL, that's more than even shoujo titles like Shirayuki, Yona, KamiHaji, or Gakuen Babysitter, etc that even after receiving anime they still can't clear 200K mark before drop off from the oricon weekly chart. Those other lovely BL titles like Kana Kii's series, Hayakawa Nojiko, Hidamari ga Kikoeru, Yamamoto Kotetsuko series, etc didn't even sold 1/2 the numbers of Dakaretai (they mostly sold around 20-50K copies if they're lucky, still good numbers for BL but nowhere compare to Dakaretai). So I think Aniplex being reasonable in picking up this title to be animated based on only the rough sales number.

Just like everyone else I would love to see more variety or great BL titles being animated like some of the titles that already being mentioned here in this thread plus stuff from Morimoto Shuu, Given, Saezuru, Koori no Mamono Series or Silver Diamond, etc..etc...but so far not much luck. When you have several good titles being adapted like Hidamari ga Kikoeru, Seven Days or Hana wa Sakuka, etc...it turns out to be live-action, sigh. I just hope with the success of Doukyusei and LGBT hit series like YOI, it'll open up more possiblities for more variety of BL anime adaptations in the future, including those underrated/gems BL manga that never had a chance to be adapted before.

Last edited by sontoloyo on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kaichou-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd adapt another Magazine Be x Boy series like Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru by Yamashita Tomoko. That series is also long running... (Still ongoing, will be publish 6th vol.) Whatever, maybe in future. Wink

This series has been on my to-read list but I've read the plot first time now lol. It looks like another cliche bl but maybe it has good storytelling or good characters(?)... Because it hasn't good plot for me. Very Happy Remided me Haru o Daiteita a little bit.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
Looks like something I'd like. But yea something sweet and cute needs to be adapted too. Something by Kanna Kii....then I'll be a truly happy guy.
Airiiin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Can people respect other people's taste and understand that different people like different things and that kinkshaming is wrong and makes you an asshole?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:

Can people respect other people's taste and understand that different people like different things and that kinkshaming is wrong and makes you an asshole?

Sadly the anime community is very far from that mentality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2