Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Gets New Stage Play in October




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zeino



Joined: 19 May 2017
Posts: 458
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
So I guess the whole pedophilia thing isn't going to dissuade the industry for wanting to do more with Kenshin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-SP-



Joined: 23 Apr 2018
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So I guess the whole pedophilia thing isn't going to dissuade the industry for wanting to do more with Kenshin.

Japan is quick to get over issues like these. Im just hoping they decided to make a new Anime for the new arc.


Last edited by -SP- on Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheOtakuX



Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 196
Location: Wooster, Ohio
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So I guess the whole pedophilia thing isn't going to dissuade the industry for wanting to do more with Kenshin.


Let's hope not
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Codeanime93



Joined: 28 Jul 2017
Posts: 552
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Is this a case of "Too Soon"? I mean it's right after that whole scandal with the creator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScarredSwordHeart



Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Good. I can't wait for the rest of the Hokkaido Arc and still hope for a fourth movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Compelled to Reply



Joined: 14 Jan 2017
Posts: 290
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Zeino wrote:
So I guess the whole pedophilia thing isn't going to dissuade the industry for wanting to do more with Kenshin.

Japan is quick to get over issues like these.

Maybe it was already in planning before this whole scandal arose? It's not like it's the series' fault the creator ended up being a pedophile. Besides, his (ex?)wife took control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus-A



Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Zeino wrote:
So I guess the whole pedophilia thing isn't going to dissuade the industry for wanting to do more with Kenshin.

Japan is quick to get over issues like these. Im just hoping they decided to make a new Anime for the new arc.


Japanese are not celebrity worshipers like Americans are. Yeah, you have your hardcore Otaku stalking VA's but we're talking normal people. America on the other hand, EVERYBODY's celebrity-obsessed to the point where they focus their time on people they don't even care for to begin with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anddo!



Joined: 07 Mar 2015
Posts: 557
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Dead series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1643
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Bees wrote:
wanting ~your anime~ to continue over him getting blacklisted from the industry forever for being human scum makes you a bad person.

He did his time/paid his dues. We may quarrel over whether those were enough. However, I don't believe in holding works hostage.

The justice system is ultimately a way to rehabilitate an offender back into the society. So a question. If rehabilitation into a functional member of society is to be banned, as you suggest, then what do we do with all offenders (excluding those sentenced to life/death)?

There's a reason we have a justice system instead of mob rule in a modern society.
That still leaves room to discuss whether it is working as intended. For that we have politics...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5232
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

He did his time/paid his dues. We may quarrel over whether those were enough. However, I don't believe in holding works hostage.

The justice system is ultimately a way to rehabilitate an offender back into the society. So a question. If rehabilitation into a functional member of society is to be banned, as you suggest, then what do we do with all offenders (excluding those sentenced to life/death)?

There's a reason we have a justice system instead of mob rule in a modern society.
That still leaves room to discuss whether it is working as intended. For that we have politics...


I would in principle agree with the spirit of your statement, but the particulars of the case don't work with this mentality. For starters, he wasn't rehabilitated because he didn't spend any time in prison (whether prison works in terms of rehabilitation is a different matter entirely) nor even go to any sort of court-mandated therapy to treat his "deviation" to put it lightly. He paid an extremely small sum of money and got his job back almost immediatey. In other countries, what he did would at least get you in a list of convicted sex offenders and keep him away from children, but here it's not even that much. He got a slap to the wrist that had very minimal consequences in his life, nothing that would discourage a man that would so shamelessly confess he's most sexually attracted to 11 year olds from doing it again.

And therein lies the issue. There is a huuuge chance that he'll buy more child porn in the future. Doing it the first time barely cost him anything and he was caught by accident. Therefore, any money he gets from royalties has a very significant chance of ending up supporting sexual exploitation of children
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
DeviousDybbuk



Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I would in principle agree with the spirit of your statement, but the particulars of the case don't work with this mentality. For starters, he wasn't rehabilitated because he didn't spend any time in prison (whether prison works in terms of rehabilitation is a different matter entirely) nor even go to any sort of court-mandated therapy to treat his "deviation" to put it lightly. He paid an extremely small sum of money and got his job back almost immediatey. In other countries, what he did would at least get you in a list of convicted sex offenders and keep him away from children, but here it's not even that much. He got a slap to the wrist that had very minimal consequences in his life, nothing that would discourage a man that would so shamelessly confess he's most sexually attracted to 11 year olds from doing it again.

And therein lies the issue. There is a huuuge chance that he'll buy more child porn in the future. Doing it the first time barely cost him anything and he was caught by accident. Therefore, any money he gets from royalties has a very significant chance of ending up supporting sexual exploitation of children


The main difference between now and before he was convicted is that even if he isn't on a registered sex offenders list (which he should be), he is known far and wide as one through his purchasing of child pornography. I'm not sure on the laws in Japan, but I feel like after his conviction, he would be regularly investigated by police, which would ensure he wouldn't continue supporting the CP industry? Of course we can't know that for sure.

He hasn't shown much willingness to change beyond "feeling remorse". Being a pedophile is completely different from other sexual orientations because it involves innocent children and they cannot consent. I really do hope he does some kind of therapy because this is a serious offence. If he even took this small initiative, it could reassure his fans that he is trying and they would feel encouraged to support his rehabilitation. It would be fitting too, considering the theme of Rurouni Kenshin being a story about redemption. Of course, this is wishful thinking from me, a fan of the series.

I'm sorry to get off topic. RK is a huge franchise and it's not easy to discontinue it (in one fashion or another) just like that. The play looks interesting, especially in that they decided to use the original character from the Takarazuka play as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bees



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Bees wrote:
wanting ~your anime~ to continue over him getting blacklisted from the industry forever for being human scum makes you a bad person.

He did his time/paid his dues. We may quarrel over whether those were enough. However, I don't believe in holding works hostage.

The justice system is ultimately a way to rehabilitate an offender back into the society. So a question. If rehabilitation into a functional member of society is to be banned, as you suggest, then what do we do with all offenders (excluding those sentenced to life/death)?

There's a reason we have a justice system instead of mob rule in a modern society.
That still leaves room to discuss whether it is working as intended. For that we have politics...

lol no he paid a couple grand and squealed on some other pedophiles(supposedly). like it's only been a few months, and he had a shitload of child porn, contributing to the proliferation of it. He isn't repentant or rehabilitated at all, except maybe at getting caught. He didn't pay a few thousand dollars to remove the pedophile modifier from his status, this ain't no game. He's still the same as he was, just outed. He went the step further as a pedophile of actually hoarding real child pornography. He's not seeking therapy, he's not publicly repenting, he's just paid off the legal costs and is back to work. He clearly doesn't care that it's a serious issue. Your attempt to whatabout to the entire justice system is noted, and discarded, as well.
DeviousDybbuk wrote:

I'm sorry to get off topic. RK is a huge franchise and it's not easy to discontinue it (in one fashion or another) just like that. The play looks interesting, especially in that they decided to use the original character from the Takarazuka play as well.
It is not off topic, as the author's recent outing as a sex offender and his product still being sold and proliferated as if nothing happened is a pretty big issue and very much related.

It's like the author of Toriko. He was outright caught soliciting sex with an underage sex worker and sentenced to two years in prison, but wound up not serving it. His initial series was canceled and so he started up Toriko afterwards. Japan has intensely lax laws on pedophilia and child pornography, up until pretty recently there was an epidemic of legal child porn, even.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1570
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Bees wrote:
It's like the author of Toriko. He was outright caught soliciting sex with an underage sex worker and sentenced to two years in prison, but wound up not serving it. His initial series was canceled and so he started up Toriko afterwards. Japan has intensely lax laws on pedophilia and child pornography, up until pretty recently there was an epidemic of legal child porn, even.


I agree that Watsuki was given a ridiculously lenient punishment for his actions, but Shimabukuro can't even be counted in a similar light. Yes, his prison sentence was taken away, but he didn't just start up Toriko immediately after Takeshi was canceled. Takeshi was canceled back in 2002, when he was caught, and Toriko didn't debut until 2008, six years afterwards. Hell, in between that time, the only stuff Shimabukuro even really did was a short manga in Super Jump (which was for older audiences) around 2004, & in 2005 was allowed to hastily finish up Takeshi in the same magazine; he might have done a one-shot here & there, too, but no other serialized work. He wasn't allowed anywhere near Shonen Jump again until, as story has it, Eiichiro Oda spoke up for him, likely to explain that he (hopefully) had changed for the better. At the very least, Shimabukuro seems to have actually changed & learned (or he at least knows how to actually hide his fetishes).

I'm not saying that Shimabukuro's actions are any less terrible by any means, but at least he actually still received some sort of degree of actual "punishment".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 13922
Location: The Bee and Barb Inn
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Removed a few posts. Discuss the actual topic folks or don't post in here. We're not going to have endless debates on pedophilia or his punishment every time there's a Kenshin related article (unless that's somehow actually part of the article). This is about the upcoming stage play, that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
karyuudo0127



Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 80
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Removed a few posts. Discuss the actual topic folks or don't post in here. We're not going to have endless debates on pedophilia or his punishment every time there's a Kenshin related article (unless that's somehow actually part of the article). This is about the upcoming stage play, that's it.


Just as a suggestion, ANN should probably refrain of mentioning his possession charge when reporting the news on RK. That may cut down on the number of conversations about this - as I for one, am tired of folks outside of Japan commenting on laws that do not apply to the rest of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group