• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Last Period turns Gacha Hell into Comedy Gold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no reality in which I needed to hear this again in Twenty Freaking Eighteen.

I lost track of who was who, but whoever said this....Yeah...you're wrong! More "Nipah!!!" is always good Anime cry.

I didn't even know this anime was a thing but I play quite a few mobile games so this sounds interesting but also painful. Gacha is gambling, as are loot boxes. It creates that same "feeling" in the head and gets people addicted. Honestly, should at the least be restricted to people of certain ages, the same as "proper" gambling. It's unhealthy. And before anyone argues "you always get SOMETHING". No. You don't. I'll get a "1 star" character at the least? That's nothing. It's literally nothing. If I can't sell it for real money and buy food, it's the same thing as "nothing".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Saw this after just finishing the 6th episode, and thinking that it might be about time to make a discussion in the anime Series Discussion area. The show really is not that good, in that it is kind of weak for a fantasy show, in general. But it feels like despite that it has been doing things worthy of attention as it has gone along. Recently that it has seemed to outright make a criticism of addictive / gambling nature of the mobile gacha systems, that no doubt this franchise is based on. Really, despite probably a large list of character to draw on, the heroes have totally failed on any use of the core use of random character drawing.

Next is Wiseman, who are the villains, but if anything are kind of awesome, being actually sort of responsible in their morals, they are doing it for a job, and criticise excess and unhealthy aspects of money, and kind of felt that they were better to the main character than his friends. Choco excluded, because while I started a little frustrated that she does not seem to actually contribute anything to the fights, comically she contributes a lot to the show.

The show does feel like it takes things from Saturday morning cartoons and runs with it. The recent episode doing a funny crazy version of trying to do two things at once, in a way that it feels like has purposely undercut its own dramatic storytelling to just do its own thing, that I think it has become charming. Also, a surprisingly nuanced reference from Choco, where they were going to a park in land of witches, keeps spoiler[bringing up gross tasting jellybeans.]
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
There's a really weird trend with phone app anime getting to do whatever they want, which can somehow lead to the anime staff making the anime a lot better than it has any right to be. Kemono Friends is the biggest example, though I'd say that the phone anime most similar to this one off the top of my head is Zettai Boei Leviathan. Last Period is sillier though; Leviathan is played relatively straight.

It's funny how in this era that's arguably oversaturated with adaptations, phone app adaptations are the closest thing we get to completely original anime a lot of the time. I guess that's just because of how risky original anime are by default.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
There's a really weird trend with phone app anime getting to do whatever they want, which can somehow lead to the anime staff making the anime a lot better than it has any right to be. Kemono Friends is the biggest example, though I'd say that the phone anime most similar to this one off the top of my head is Zettai Boei Leviathan. Last Period is sillier though; Leviathan is played relatively straight.

It's funny how in this era that's arguably oversaturated with adaptations, phone app adaptations are the closest thing we get to completely original anime a lot of the time. I guess that's just because of how risky original anime are by default.

What makes this interesting is that episode 7 was actually a parody of sorts of Kemono Friends. But it was not just a bunch of cheap jokes about making fun of Kemono Friends, instead it felt like the plot was actually addressing one of the biggest anime controversy of last year, the firing of its director, the one many accredit for his creativity from the freedom he was given and lead to it being so great.

You could take episode 7 to practically have been a defence of that freedom, which can really lead to a gem. And it was kind of that freedom that Last Period just managed to pull that off, to do what I think was a pretty great episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1