• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Recode: AT&T Aims to Buy Out Crunchyroll's Otter Media This Summer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsVitchDaSecond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I see them prepping the sneaky double pay wall huh now that net neutrality is gone Shocked
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
I see them prepping the sneaky double pay wall huh now that net neutrality is gone Shocked

For them to do so would be...

...an otter shame
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beholder242

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Setting aside the discussion about net neutrality, I'm certain the double pay wall will work out just as well as it did for Amazon.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

For them to do so would be...

...an otter shame

Get out.

Joking aside, I don't know how far this change will reach into the actual quality of what we get on CrunchyRoll. We'll have to wait and see, but I hope if AT&T has any say in the way CR operates, they'll be wise enough to stick with the old adage "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like this is a switch from partial to total ownership, so with any luck, nothing changes.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
Wait what, this happened?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Setting aside the discussion about net neutrality, I'm certain the double pay wall will work out just as well as it did for Amazon.

It won't be the same. It will work out fine. Why? Because CR will still have the vast majority of new anime and other sites won't. People don't truly have a choice if they want to watch the newest stuff.

And yes, Net Neutrality died a week or two ago. Though, there's still ways to restore it...but it's gonna be rough.

---

I have no faith in AT&T or other Telecommunication companies doing what's best for Crunchyroll. I don't think CR will fail, as i mentioned already people will still use it because it's really the only real choice for MOST anime so people won't abandon it no matter what happens. But I expect bad decisions to be made and prices to go up and quality to remain as low it is (far too low of bitrate, poor translations/transliterations/localization choices, very inconsistent, and literally dozens of grammar mistakes per season, mistakes that PAID people shouldn't be making).
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
AT&T is in the middle of starting up their own streaming service, to compete directly with Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. Otter Media also has stakes in several other ventures, including live sports, so I suspect that is AT&T's primary interest in acquiring Otter. Therefore, Crunchyroll being swept up sounds like it could just be an afterthought. It could also mean AT&T might bundle it off to someone else, if they decide they don't want to deal with anime. Or it could mean that Crunchyroll might someday be available with your Uverse subscription.

Frankly, I've been expecting something like this for a year, ever since Sony bought Funimation. And I'll bet, theres more consolidation coming. Don't be surprised if HiDive is snatched up before year's end.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy...I can't wait till they outsource every position to Crimea because of "redundancies" Rolling Eyes
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
Joking aside, I don't know how far this change will reach into the actual quality of what we get on CrunchyRoll. We'll have to wait and see, but I hope if AT&T has any say in the way CR operates, they'll be wise enough to stick with the old adage "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Idk, there are a ton of things on CR that would benefit from some professional fixing. No https, still using Flash instead of HTML5, and slow servers during peak user hours are the bare minimum that needs fixing. Not to mention CR's unfulfilled promise to add offline viewing (Vrv doesn't count since that's US only).
I'm somewhat optimistic for this deal, though I don't have any expectations. I love CR and use it nearly every day, but at this point the development team is pretty understaffed and keeps getting outsourced.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well... it was good while it lasted, I guess, but ultimately all successful companies end up getting eaten by megaconglomocorps. Often just to shut them down so they won't get in the way of some venture by said megacorp, but in a best-case scenario, maybe just a double paywall?

Also... CR is owned by Ellation which is owned by Otter which is owned by Chernin and AT&T, and now just the latter? Seriously? How many layers of turtles... I mean holding companies... are there, exactly?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Don't be surprised if HiDive is snatched up before year's end.
Are you on about the platform or Sentai Filmworks?

I wonder if at some point these dedicated Anime streaming sites will all become part of a regular streaming service.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Almost makes me miss the early days when CR was a pirate stream/locker site for anime and J/K-drama before going legit. I wonder if this means Verizon/OATH will try to buy Mega. Razz
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
How many layers of turtles... I mean holding companies... are there, exactly?

Turtles, ALL the WAY Down.

It's another "wait & see" situation. Not being privy to AT&T's plans ( Which being a huge company that just bought another huge company there may not be any plans, just momentum. ) all we can do is watch to see where the turtle behemoth trundles off to.

Mark Gosdin
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Pretty much this.
Plus the Prime / AnimeStrike double paywall made a modicum more sense then double-paywalling CR... not even sure what they'd double paywall (aside from what's already planned out in subscriptions with manga and dramas) tbqh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4