• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Etten no Sora Manga Artist Blames Hobby Japan, 'Human Rights' for [New Life+] Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
But the thing is, the novels didn’t have any controversial references. Only the web novel, which Hobby Japan has nothing to do with, made some rather untasteful remarks regarding the MC’s past. So I don’t blame HJ, though I think their “EVERYONE GET OFF THE BOAT IT’S SINKING” response was ridiculous.

Also can we move on? This kind of news is getting old...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Also can we move on? This kind of news is getting old...

It's worth discussing for creators since it sets a precedent, especially since this artist works on a historic military series. It's always a good idea to address these concerns as soon as possible, before they take root and ruin your industry like we've seen with American comics.

-Stuart Smith
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiharu Takano:
Quote:
I don't know the definition of hate speech.

Which is the problem, because these days it too often just means "any speech that I don't like." The term has been so overused that it is effectively becoming meaningless.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Looking at this person's manga, no wonder they's worried.

"The remnants of a defeated Empire prepare to strike back at an invading army."
https://www.mangaupdates.com/image/i264389.jpg
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The definition of offensive speech expands with every passing year. Now that the Chinese government knows that they can easily get anime cancelled with an outrage movement they will take full advantage of that fact. Anime that is against authoritarianism and communism will also be considered offensive in the future.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this Chinese conspiracy against anime take, while it ignores that even Japans own Neo-Nationalist, History Revising, Right Wing was ALSO upset by the author's comments and writings.

I mean, when the guys who are like 'Japan did NOTHING wrong during WWII and then we got viciously nuked.' are upset with you, 'Political Correctness' is probably not the only problem in your writing.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I don't understand how being offended suddenly grants one the power to dictate what others can and cannot do.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Anime that is against authoritarianism and communism will also be considered offensive in the future.

Lol stop with your exaggerations. The Chinese government had nothing to do with this. Nor did communism. We get it already anyway, you hate communism. Okay, you have that right but spreading exaggerated fears does no one any good. The definition of "offensive speech" does not expand ever year. There's one definition. "Offensive" speech is speech that someone finds offensive. This changes depending on who you're talking to. Everyone finds different things offensive. HATE speech is entirely different than "offensive speech". We're not talking about "offensive" speech. We're talking about HATE speech. The author used HATE speech when he said Chinese people were insects. That's not merely "offensive". It's hateful. It's racist. If you really think hate speech/racist comments are on the same level as mere "offensive" speech then you're probably a racist.

Quote:
Takano added, "Seriously though, people's lives are being ruined by this all mighty bludgeon known as 'human rights'. I'm less afraid of a 'flag' for communism than a 'bludgeon' for human rights," they wrote.

The difference is that communism (by it's actual definition) isn't about degrading other races or attacking the actual lives of people. Hate speech does.

DeTroyes wrote:
Chiharu Takano:
Quote:
I don't know the definition of hate speech.

Which is the problem, because these days it too often just means "any speech that I don't like." The term has been so overused that it is effectively becoming meaningless.

This is factually incorrect. Like Chrono, you're confusing "Offensive speech" with "HATE speech". There's a huge difference. Hate speech is factually hateful and is against the rights of a certain person/people. Offensive speech depends entirely on the perspective of the people involved. For example, some people are offended by swear words. I'm not. That's offensive speech, but not hate speech. On the other hand, using the N-word or calling a gay person the f-word is HATE speech. Huge difference. Don't mix them up.You can't seriously think calling someone a "doucebag" is the same as calling an entire race "insects". If he was targeting one specific person, it wouldn't be racist either. But he specified Chinese people as a whole.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to America's world, japan.[/b]
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Seriously, I don't understand how being offended suddenly grants one the power to dictate what others can and cannot do.

It doesn't. But too many people now think that it does.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
First of all, it's not about "Being offended". It's about "being Racist". Two very different things, as I mention in my previous response on this thread. Extremely different things. If you can't see the difference then you've probably lived a privileged life and don't understand racism. Lucky you, in that case.

Second, it's not "dictating" what people can or cannot do. You're allowed to be racist. There's just consequences for it. Those consequences are that no one that isn't a racist will want to associate with you. That's why the anime got cancelled and that's why the publishing was paused/stopped. Racists have gotten away with their BS for far too long.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Allow me to explain. If you cause an outrage in two neighboring countries AND within the LEFT and RIGHT wing of your OWN country, literally everyone stops wanting to do business with you because you become a threat to their business operations. You become 'radioactive' effectively. Especially in a country where if you're an entertainer of any sort and you get arrested for doing pot, all the companies that had any involvement with your properties literally start erasing your media presence from history.

It's all REALLY pretty easy to understandable.

However it is pretty impressive that he managed to upset bot the left and right wing in his own country at the same time. That's usually an either or thing but I guess not exclusively so.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The comments were horrible but the response is completely disproportionate. Stuff like this can leave a bad precedent and allowing those who scream outrage to be vindicated, even just once, can lead to disaster. Just ask video games and comic books.

When I first read this article, I thought their take on this situation was a bit too conspiratorial but now that all this crap is happening I'm starting to think maybe they have a point. It does seem that whenever certain people find something they can latch on to, they try to milk it for everything its worth and there's certainly more than one group within and outside Japan that's been looking for a way to cause outrage and be able to attack certain aspects of the medium they don't like. I just hope this crap ends soon.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:

Allow me to explain. If you cause an outrage in two neighboring countries AND within the LEFT and RIGHT wing of your OWN country, literally everyone stops wanting to do business with you because you become a threat to their business operations. You become 'radioactive' effectively. Especially in a country where if you're an entertainer of any sort and you get arrested for doing pot, all the companies that had any involvement with your properties literally start erasing your media presence from history.

It's all REALLY pretty easy to understandable.

However it is pretty impressive that he managed to upset bot the left and right wing in his own country at the same time. That's usually an either or thing but I guess not exclusively so.

This guy have a real talent, If he only upset the left wing, this would probably get ignored like other anti China LN/manga/anime out there. But upsetting both sides and making racist comments just make him persona non grata in the industry.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Lol stop with your exaggerations. The Chinese government had nothing to do with this. Nor did communism. We get it already anyway, you hate communism. Okay, you have that right but spreading exaggerated fears does no one any good.
You have a lot more trust in the Chinese government than I do. Considering what the Soviet Union used to do the idea that the Chinese government is testing ways to control the entertainment industry in other countries is a reasonable concern. There have been experts warning people about this for years and it is important to keep in mind that communist governments view entertainment as political propaganda which is why they are so obsessed with controlling it.

Kougeru wrote:
The difference is that communism (by it's actual definition) isn't about degrading other races or attacking the actual lives of people. Hate speech does.
70 million people have been killed by communism and all China has to do is convince people that being against communism is hate speech. That would have been unthinkable even 30 years ago but I could see the mainstream media going along with that today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6