• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do TV Ratings Apply To Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I have a follow-up question, if it counts.

Every week, ANN covers the top anime of the week by TV ratings. Back in its "hayday", Pokemon had phenomenal ratings, but those ratings are the lowest they've ever been and yet it makes the list almost every week, despite not showing ratings even close to Sazae-san and the others you listed in the article. We're aware of other venues to watch it (it's on hulu JP, I think), but really, does the fact that it consistently shows up on the top anime TV rating list every week make it evident that it's still just as popular as ever, albeit with lower TV viewership... or does it just lack the competition to fall that low below the ranks? Or is the question still too complex to say one way or the other?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This line doesnt make sense? "The longer the numbers both prove that people are watching, and that the sponsors are reaching the audience they want to reach, the longer they will keep funding production."

--

Are you sure that selliing discs is where the real money comes, when in the previous paragraph you drew having emphasis on saying that in todays context people are watching more an more anime on digital streaming services and other places. It seems highly unlikely that The Real Money is still being made on the ever decreasing amount of Blu-Ray and DVD sales. I was sure an previous Answerman even suggests that streaming and digital deals are more lucrative than ever before.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's quite rare, but I've seen late-night anime break into the top 10 on the weekly Animation TV Rankings. That's how I found out about Eden of the East, back in the day -- I think its noitaminA successor, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, also got its premiere up there.

A week ago, on June 17, Sazae-san got more than twice as many viewers as One Piece or GeGeGe no Kitarou had that morning. I've wondered just what kind of demographics it gets those ratings from, and whether they've changed perceptibly over the almost fifty years it's been airing. I sent a question to Answerman last year about it, along with some other points like whether it has distinguishable eras like The Simpsons or The Tonight Show over in the States.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The information is gathered by researchers pinpointing specific households by demographic, offering to pay them to track their viewing habits. Years ago this was done with a manual journal, but now electronic sensors will just pick up what's being viewed). Nielsen, and presumably Video Research, try to figure out new ways of tracking all of the new ways people watch television, but they've had a harder and harder time keeping up with technology, so there's a growing sense that these ratings don't paint a full picture.

If there is any indication of television's technical archaicness, it is the fact that compiling viewing analytics is still largely a matter of making informed guesses. Should older demographics become more comfortable with the internet as an entertainment medium, I anticipate that television would soon go the way of the Electrophone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The information is gathered by researchers pinpointing specific households by demographic, offering to pay them to track their viewing habits. Years ago this was done with a manual journal, but now electronic sensors will just pick up what's being viewed). Nielsen, and presumably Video Research, try to figure out new ways of tracking all of the new ways people watch television, but they've had a harder and harder time keeping up with technology, so there's a growing sense that these ratings don't paint a full picture.

If there is any indication of television's technical archaicness, it is the fact that compiling viewing analytics is still largely a matter of making informed guesses. Should older demographics become more comfortable with the internet as an entertainment medium, I anticipate that television would soon go the way of the Electrophone.

I dont think that would currently be possible. Theres still issues in places where internet streaming is actually not feasible for Television replacement. Theres also numerous content that is more suited to live watching on tv than it is on streaming watch whenever you want. I think for some sports, reality tv, competitions, and public broadcasts services, local news, talk shows, some game shows, would keep traditional tv viewing going for a while.

Data caps on internet, both land form, and mobile internet, also would inhibit television viewing going away. 3hrs of video content can actually eat a substantial amount of data for people on their cell phone data (for their high speed non throttled speed)
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Are you sure that selliing discs is where the real money comes, when in the previous paragraph you drew having emphasis on saying that in todays context people are watching more an more anime on digital streaming services and other places. It seems highly unlikely that The Real Money is still being made on the ever decreasing amount of Blu-Ray and DVD sales. I was sure an previous Answerman even suggests that streaming and digital deals are more lucrative than ever before.

With streaming, BD and DVD sales have less impact on the profits and that's a reality. The most Real Money for the studios that bet in making a original anime will come from streaming deals.

But when came to Late Night anime that works for promotion of manga, light novels or game, the Real Money is made in sales of that manga, light novel or game.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I sent a question to Answerman last year about it, along with some other points like whether it has distinguishable eras like The Simpsons or The Tonight Show over in the States.

I, too, have been curious to know if there's a bunch of older people constantly chiming in on Twitter about how Doraemon was better in their day and how all the new episodes of Chibi Maruko-chan just don't get it.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I dont think that would currently be possible. Theres still issues in places where internet streaming is actually not feasible for Television replacement.

Yes, there are still some places where that holds true. They are not in the majority in the developed word, and they're decreasing year on year. It's 2018, not 1998 and that's a tired old excuse that should have long since been retired.

Quote:
Theres also numerous content that is more suited to live watching on tv than it is on streaming watch whenever you want. I think for some sports, reality tv, competitions, and public broadcasts services, local news, talk shows, some game shows, would keep traditional tv viewing going for a while.

Define "traditional TV". Changing channels on an OTA broadcast or cable box? Already dying and being replaced by what amounts to live streaming apps. (Also, at least in America, "traditional TV" is already dead - with local independently owned stations now merely outposts of corporate behemoths.)

Quote:
Data caps on internet, both land form, and mobile internet, also would inhibit television viewing going away. 3hrs of video content can actually eat a substantial amount of data for people on their cell phone data (for their high speed non throttled speed)

That presumes they're strictly limited by mobile data, a dangerous presumption indeed.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Adding to what Jonny Mendes already wrote about late night anime being promotion for their source material, you also have to realise that what is valid in US may not necessarily be true in Japan. Many TV shows in Japan (anime included) are put on internet only for limited time. Good example is Digimon Universe, where new episode was put on Youtube, but after a week, the episode was taken out and replaced with newest episode. Add to this almost non-existent reruns in Japan (especially for newest shows) and high prices for home video medias and I wouldn't be surprised if in Japan it was still true that the real money are in home video market, at lest for some titles.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Adding to what Jonny Mendes already wrote about late night anime being promotion for their source material, you also have to realise that what is valid in US may not necessarily be true in Japan. Many TV shows in Japan (anime included) are put on internet only for limited time. Good example is Digimon Universe, where new episode was put on Youtube, but after a week, the episode was taken out and replaced with newest episode. Add to this almost non-existent reruns in Japan (especially for newest shows) and high prices for home video medias and I wouldn't be surprised if in Japan it was still true that the real money are in home video market, at lest for some titles.

Many shows are rerun, just look at many shows twitter accounts after the season is over and see that they still post when episode 1 and so on are reairing, no one just talks about the reruns (example even Sword Art Online S2 was reairing this same season). Additionally theres like at least 15 video services that people can buy/watch anime on after their air. A DVD/BD is not the only way to watch a show after its done.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
But most of those reruns are on cable TV, not on the original free TV. That itself limits access to said anime.
And you wrote it, there are so many different services in Japan, that if you will be lucky and your favourite anime was put online (which is still not guaranteed in Japan), chances are it will be on a service you will only use that one time and never again. And not even the most devoted otaku would pay for such a service. It is easier to pay for cable or satelite subscription in hope the cable channels may air your favourite anime in future (which may never happen, or may happen on a channel your provider doesn't offer) or wait for home media releases, than search like 15+ streaming services and pay for them. That's how things are in Japan.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I, too, have been curious to know if there's a bunch of older people constantly chiming in on Twitter about how Doraemon was better in their day and how all the new episodes of Chibi Maruko-chan just don't get it.

The golden age of Doraemon is six.

peno wrote:
But most of those reruns are on cable TV, not on the original free TV. That itself limits access to said anime.

And I think I've read that cable TV is much less common in Japan than the US, though that could've changed in recent years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
This line doesnt make sense? "The longer the numbers both prove that people are watching, and that the sponsors are reaching the audience they want to reach, the longer they will keep funding production."

Are you thinking "longer" modifies "numbers"? It doesn't. Try parsing it this way: "The longer [time] that there is proof [the numbers] that the desired people are still watching, the longer [time] the sponsors will fund it."
ravager

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But Nielsen's research power doesn't extend beyond the USA

Nielsen has subsidiaries in other countries that survey audience measurement.
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
I notice that the Video Research viewing data posted here only includes the Kanto region. Are the ratings from the rest of Japan available anywhere, and are they meaningfully different from Tokyo?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2