• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revue Starlight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
OK first cople of lines of the review had me worried but after reading in full good job Steve.

You've captured the essence of the show perfectly - yes it's got idol elements but its very much a show about musical theatre and I like all the references you made to Takarazuka too. Glad to see we've got another fan on staff apart from Nick!.

I'm very pleased with this show so far - theres not many shows that get to "buy" level for me - so far this year its been CCS Clear Card and Violet Evergarden but this is my 3rd. Oh my poor wallet.

I like how episode 2 has nice little touches like Hikari talking to the Giraffe from the elevator and he kicks an old fashioned tape recorder oh the obvious jealousy of Mahiru at the end of the episode.

Hopefully we get the ED theme next episode - I've listened to the preview on Youtube its gorgeous!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It's one thing for this series to be one of the shows I've been eyeing on since last year. And it's another where it totally exceeded my expectations. I'm a sucker for insert-song battles, and I approved of this Ikuhara-stylized theatrical take of this. It definitely makes me want to buy the music for this. Cool

I do wonder how far the show will take on each of the respective girl-pairings (and oh poor Mahiru getting relegated to be a 3rd wheel on the Karen-Hikari pair).
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's one thing for this series to be one of the shows I've been eyeing on since last year. And it's another where it totally exceeded my expectations. I'm a sucker for insert-song battles, and I approved of this Ikuhara-stylized theatrical take of this. It definitely makes me want to buy the music for this. Cool

I do wonder how far the show will take on each of the respective girl-pairings (and oh poor Mahiru getting relegated to be a 3rd wheel on the Karen-Hikari pair).

They're definitely milking the music part -

- OP Single - Already Out
- ED Single - Due next week
- Revue Song Album 1 - Due end of Aug
- Revue Song Album 2 - Oct
- OST - Oct

All of them already preordered >=>
Millhi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Steve didn't mention anything about the TL of the show like he did on his twitter. I think its something worth noting at least.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
Surprised Steve didn't mention anything about the TL of the show like he did on his twitter. I think its something worth noting at least.

Apparently Hi-Dive put their worst translator on it - but from what I've seen a lot of it could have been fixed up by a decent editor.

Don't Hi-Dive edit their scripts ? Kinda poor form for a grade A show to have such poor presentation.

The lack of song lyrics for the inset song on first initial release is worrying - yes I know there are rights issues but this is a combined franchise - the VA's are singling all the songs - not as though its an artist that's been parachuted in from a separate record company so at least in theory there should be no delay in getting approvals as its all managed under one roof.
Millhi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Millhi wrote:

Apparently Hi-Dive put their worst translator on it - but from what I've seen a lot of it could have been fixed up by a decent editor.

Don't Hi-Dive edit their scripts ? Kinda poor form for a grade A show to have such poor presentation.

The lack of song lyrics for the inset song on first initial release is worrying - yes I know there are rights issues but this is a combined franchise - the VA's are singling all the songs - not as though its an artist that's been parachuted in from a separate record company so at least in theory there should be no delay in getting approvals as its all managed under one roof.

Well I know that, that's why I said it would probably have been worth noting it esp cause steve mentioned the stuff on twitter.

I think they actually added the song lyrics on ep 1 since saturday when they released ep 2.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned that another reviewer wouldn't do the show the same justice that I thought Nick would, but Steve has more than met my expectations, really highlighting the show's strengths, its theatricality, putting it in the context of its influences and their influences, and seeing beyond the idol show elements to the real core of the show. I knew of Ikuhara's influence on Furukawa and I'm not surprised by Ikuhara being influenced by theater, but I do appreciate piecing these all together into a bigger picture. I may not have much experience with theater myself, but even I can see that the show has a real eye for it, and I appreciate a reviewer who sees that and can express that more precisely and eloquently than I. I too thought it was the best premiere of the season, and at times a truly sublime experience, and for me, this review (and Nick's preview before) was an affirmation that I'm no fool for thinking so.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I definitely see potential for greatness in Revue Starlight. But after two episodes I feel more confused than satisfied. I am a huge fan of Ikuhara and generally dig surreal stuff, but I am perhaps comparing Revue too much with the Utenas and Flip Flappers of the world. Still, I will be rooting for Kinema Citrus' new creation to be a great show.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Those who watched the original musical told me that Class S like Amanchu or Hibike is the ceiling of the relationship in this title, but personally I think that the anime still has sufficient potential due to the possibility of more fanservice and storytelling tools. At least, Mahiru clearly has some interest in MC, regardless of whether it's are romantic feelings, or more ambiguous admiration for a more talented friend.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Those who watched the original musical told me that Class S like Amanchu or Hibike is the ceiling of the relationship in this title, but personally I think that the anime still has sufficient potential due to the possibility of more fanservice and storytelling tools. At least, Mahiru clearly has some interest in MC, regardless of whether it's are romantic feelings, or more ambiguous admiration for a more talented friend.

Personally I don't think the yuri elements will be that overly emphasized.

I'd like to think of this as Japan's answer to Fame but with a major Utena twist and surreality to it.

I'm watching it for the musical theatre aspects of it and above all the songs - so far the quality of the song writing has been superb.

Seriously listen to the ED preview its awesome - they cover so many genres - from lazy latin to some songs with a Spanish twist. Yes there are some very "idol" songs but some that are very firmly rooted in musical theatre. (My comments come from listening to the the singles released so far - whether they all make it to the anime remains to be seen)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode- I haven't read the review yet- but I am just thrilled with it. You can mention Ikuhara as his influence was there in the flourishes but I also know a Sato influence on how this show both adores Kaleido Star while at the same time rips that's lead character's misguided ambitions to shreds.

You want the lead? You take the lead. You act like the lead. You don't react, you act.... and the world responds in kind.

On the other hand, it is just a tournament series, isn't it? Fought in song, dance... dance battles. There's a little Princess Tutu here as well. For a first time director, the guy knows what to steal.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
This show has been a total surprise. Bring all the theatrical battles and Utena symbolism, I'm ready.

The biggest questions so far is what Giraffe kun is getting from these auditions, why winning a duel doesn't seem to be enough to get the tiara and why Hikari is such an angst machine.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Who is or what does Giraffe represents...now that is a mystery we will just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

But watching episode 2 I think one of the big lessons that came out was keeping on going - like in Musical theatre if you don't succeed at the first audition you have to keep on trying .

That is one thing that the Giraffe very wisely said. Also that there is not one set of characteristics that each stage actress is individual.

I dunno how much of the stage battles is "real" and how much is "surreal" expression but it does represent the cut throat world of musical theatre and the fight to be the top star VERY WELL.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that this is a multimedia cute girls series that does not have that mentor guy nonsense that is killing yuri and CGDCT. I have heard that the manga and the anime made it even more obvious. Feels like Love Live going Broadway or Love Live meets Toji no Miko. Some people keep saying it is another idol series but it is proving that it is about girls doing stage plays and fighting. Furthermore, the anime got off to an amazing, surprising start with nice production and not-too-moe character design. Cute love triangle and couplings too. I have a feeling that this can be one of the better shows this summer.

#HayamiLover wrote:
Those who watched the original musical told me that Class S like Amanchu or Hibike is the ceiling of the relationship in this title...

Are you kidding? Amanchu and Hibike are nowhere near Class S or yuri for that matter, considering the former's author has no respect for yuri and put hetero romance to buzz off yuri fans, while the latter's anime studio enjoys treating them like fools as the two main girls have male love interests. Seeing them as Class S or yuri worthy is just amazingly stupid.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first two episodes but am not sure I'm going to watch more. I'm apparently one of the few people in the anime fan community who found RG Utena's style to be more obnoxious than mesmerizing, and I see way too much of that influence here in the underground audition scenes.

Basically, the series is trying to be both an Idol show and Utena at the same time, and I'm not convinced that combination works. In fact - and I can't believe I'm actually saying this when the production values on this one are so good - I'm enjoying Music Girls more after three episodes than this one after two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8