• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Alita: Battle Angel Film's Comic-Con Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Egh... the eyes... I'm sorry... it just really makes her look like Gollum or something.

It's weird because I thought I read that they were going back through and fixing the eyes at one point... maybe I dreamed that.

I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD, depending on the reviews. I'm not a big fan of being uncomfortable in theaters and the eyes would just make me too uncomfortable.

At the least I hope it's good and does well, because we could really use a manga/anime to live action Hollywood film that does well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rodriguez said that the film is a self-contained story but "it tunes up a world and a character that could go on and on."

I rather expect that those... notable eyes will put a stop to any plans for a lasting franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait.
I've enjoyed both trailers now.

They don't really seem to bother me (maybe since she's all CG animated?) but it comes up enough that it's clearly potentially an unnecessary roadblock to the movie doing as well as it could have so they probably should have done away with them and made them normal size or at least more subtly bigger than usual to still give them the artificial feel they want while not apparently turning off as many people.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, seems to be diverging from that manga somewhat. Also wondering where Desty Nova is. Are they saving him for some big reveal? Just wouldn't feel like Alita without him Razz
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Geez why don't you give everything away in that trailer?

I don't know the eyes seem a teensy wee bit smaller than the first trailer I saw? Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly. If she looked more artificial or if her eyes looked more artificial then my brain would say ok it looks more robotic and accept it, but as it is it still falls into the uncanny valley too much.

The dialogue and narration sounded dumb, but the action sequences and some of the special effects tech looked good. I still wish the title was Battle Angel Alita, not Alita: Battle Angel. It just sounds better to me.

I will probably still see it at the theatre (I thought it was supposed to be released this spring not December), unless reviews call it hideously bad. God that live-action Ghost in the Shell was pretty bad, hopefully this will be a little better.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see the eyes as a problem in the new trailer, they look much better than the ones from several months ago.

This is a must see for me at the theater.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
There was also this Q & A
https://youtu.be/pYwjokFLKx4

I'll repost my comment here;

"I'm warming up to it and it looks fun. Though the facial design of Alita still bothers me. Either they should've ditched the big eyes idea, or if keeping the eyes gone whole hog for a more artificial face altogether with less realistic skin texture and more anime proportions overall. Adding in more variety to background characters with similar looks and proportions would also help sell the overall thing, which may be the case that we haven't seen in the trailer yet..."

One-Eye wrote:
I still wish the title was Battle Angel Alita, not Alita: Battle Angel. It just sounds better to me.

It's likely because they want to make this franchise-able so they can continue with...

Alita: 'Sequel Title 2'

Alita: 'Sequel Title 3'

Hence it would be more succint to just refer to it as 'ALITA.' Rather than the full title of 'BATTLE ANGEL ALITA.'

Plus they can just refer to them as Alita 1, Alita 2, Alita 3 and so forth... though I tihnk they'll just go with subtitles for certain arcs that they want to adapt. They're probably looking at the Rollerball Arc next.

R. Kasahara wrote:
Hmm, seems to be diverging from that manga somewhat. Also wondering where Desty Nova is. Are they saving him for some big reveal? Just wouldn't feel like Alita without him Razz

Most likely saving him for the sequel or an end-credits stinger.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah if this movie does fail the eyes will have had nothing to do with this issue.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I rather expect that those... notable eyes will put a stop to any plans for a lasting franchise.

Since we've already beaten the Peter Lorre jokes to death (and already made the "She makes me laugh.....AHA!" cartoon-ref), how about:
"At least the game-characters in Ready Player One were supposed to look that weird"?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rodriguez said that the film is a self-contained story but "it tunes up a world and a character that could go on and on."

It won't be a lasting franchise, but the eyes won't be the biggest reason why.
Xe4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this film has "bomb" written all over it, which sucks given it's a passion project from a director I like. It's a kinda niche film they made into a blockbuster and ran it on a packed weekend in December.

Can't say I'm interested in it in the slightest, though unfortunately.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah if this movie does fail the eyes will have had nothing to do with this issue.

It's the main terminal symptom of the problem, but not the disease:

The problem is what I refer to as the Overcompensating Nitpick--
When a big mainstream producer gets an idiosyncratically-historied project they don't really understand, and don't really know how to make their own average mainstream head or tail of it, they will inevitably get hung up on trying to make up their own plausible explanations for ONE thing in the original that puzzles them (and which they fear will puzzle the "poor audience" just like them)...
And develop an almost monomaniacally overcompensating need to focus script attention on explaining THAT. Almost literally to the point that he forgets what the rest of the story was supposed to be about.

Remember how the 90's Godzilla, despite having absolutely zero to do with the originals that came before it, had their bizarre, inexplicable preoccupation with reminding us that Godzilla ate tuna? (O-kay! Thank you! We understand that now! He doesn't, btw.)
Or Tim Burton's need to make a entire metaphorical social-conformity subplot in the Alice movies out of the Queen of Hearts' big head from the Tenniel illustrations?
It's...sort of like that with Robert Rodriguez feeling obligated to spend a healthy chunk of the movie's CGI budget explaining to US audiences why manga/anime characters have big eyes--Alita doesn't really look funny, she was just built that way. Good luck with him understanding who the heck Desty Nova is supposed to be.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the cast and what characters are going to show up, I feel like it is gonna have the same problem as Ghost in the Shell, and that it is going to try and shoehorn too much of the material into the movie. All while twisting and turning their roles in order to make them fit into a single movie narrative.

Also the eyes.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't look like they're shoehorning in too much from the trailer.

Looks like they're just covering the early story with Alita and ido.

He finds her, rebuilds her, she discovers she's good at fighting, meets boy, spoiler[boys wants to go up tower, but boy is working for bad guys who are killing people and taking organs, she tries to help him, goes up against bad guys, wins, then loses to bigger badder bad guy, gets body destroyed, boy gets captured, she is rebuilt with fizzroy body giving her an upgrade, she goes after baddest guy, beats him, tries to escape with boy up tower, but they can't due to defences, boy dies, she falls down, Ido gets her back on her feet to overcome depression at boy's death. She vows to someday make it up the tower.] The End. Sequel with Desty Nova if successful.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Everyone complaining in the comment section just stfu. If you dont like her "eyes" or the movie then don't b*tch and wine if this movie flops cause it would be your criticism that destroys the hype like how you guys did for Ghost in the Shell. I swear fans of anime and manga do not deserve SH*T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3